Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

ELF's won't run - Draxter Ultramem Launcher

System Mods, Hard Mods and Soft Mods - Discuss them here.

ELF's won't run - Draxter Ultramem Launcher

Postby polyfusion » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:43 pm

I'm having trouble running ELF files through the ELF launcher on the Draxter Ultramem disk. There are a few references to this CD-ROM/USB combination about the internet, noted as not being the most user-friendly way of running ELF files...

But it does work, I managed to make my first Free MC Boot card using this product. It should work by placing the disk in the drive, the USB stick in the USB port on the PS2, and then booting to a menu where you can run an ELF Launcher. The included ELF files run ok from the USB stick (a simple chess game, and a few demos). However, any ELF files I've downloaded won't run from the included launcher, I just end up with a black screen when the ELF is executed.

IIRC, I managed to install the Free MC Boot setup to the memory card in a convoluted way, something like using a NES emulator, I believe it was an FCEUltra ELF file, but it was several years ago, and the ELF file isn't on the USB stick, and I didn't make any notes. As I recall, there is a way in FCEUltra to run an ELF file, and this is the way it worked for me, as I was able to find an FCEUltra file that would run from this Ultramem ELF launcher. I think I got the info from skapps, or something that sounds similar, but I can't find that site either.

If I take out the disk, and insert a Free MC Boot memory card, boot the PS2, I can run any downloaded ELF files fine in this environment on the USB stick (via uLaunchELF), and also the chess game and demos that were included with the Ultramem product.

I have tried running the FCEUltra from the USB in the Free MC Boot environment, and it does work ok, I can see how I was able to finally run a Free MC Boot install ELF file via FCEUltra, but I'm still trying to recreate the process of using the Ultramem product to make a Free MC Boot memory card (yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment).

Just wondering what anyones thoughts are on why it might not be working. Like I said, all the e
ELF files work ok from uLaunchELF from the Free MC Boot environment, but when I try to use the Ultramem ELF launcher, only the included ELF files will run.

polyfusion 2

Re: ELF's won't run - Draxter Ultramem Launcher

Postby Randummy1 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:56 pm

polyfusion wrote:I'm having trouble running ELF files through the ELF launcher on the Draxter Ultramem disk. There are a few references to this CD-ROM/USB combination about the internet, noted as not being the most user-friendly way of running ELF files...

But it does work, I managed to make my first Free MC Boot card using this product. It should work by placing the disk in the drive, the USB stick in the USB port on the PS2, and then booting to a menu where you can run an ELF Launcher. The included ELF files run ok from the USB stick (a simple chess game, and a few demos). However, any ELF files I've downloaded won't run from the included launcher, I just end up with a black screen when the ELF is executed.

IIRC, I managed to install the Free MC Boot setup to the memory card in a convoluted way, something like using a NES emulator, I believe it was an FCEUltra ELF file, but it was several years ago, and the ELF file isn't on the USB stick, and I didn't make any notes. As I recall, there is a way in FCEUltra to run an ELF file, and this is the way it worked for me, as I was able to find an FCEUltra file that would run from this Ultramem ELF launcher. I think I got the info from skapps, or something that sounds similar, but I can't find that site either.

If I take out the disk, and insert a Free MC Boot memory card, boot the PS2, I can run any downloaded ELF files fine in this environment on the USB stick (via uLaunchELF), and also the chess game and demos that were included with the Ultramem product.

I have tried running the FCEUltra from the USB in the Free MC Boot environment, and it does work ok, I can see how I was able to finally run a Free MC Boot install ELF file via FCEUltra, but I'm still trying to recreate the process of using the Ultramem product to make a Free MC Boot memory card (yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment).

Just wondering what anyones thoughts are on why it might not be working. Like I said, all the e
ELF files work ok from uLaunchELF from the Free MC Boot environment, but when I try to use the Ultramem ELF launcher, only the included ELF files will run.

Why not just run uLaunchELF via Free MC Boot then? If that works then hey, no headache.

Successfully traded with Vga for PS2 Softmod Kit.
Randummy1 6

Custom Title: Dinosaur farting dust bunnies :)

Postby ZX81v2 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:19 pm

^^ uLaunch is all you need to boot any ELF from USB. If you can get it to load, you can mod the console

Also , depending on the ELF, sometimes depends on how long you get a BLACK Screen. Codebreaker is a prime example. It's not dead, just slow at initialization.

PS2 (Phat) + Network Adapter + SATA Bridge + 2TB HDD = Insanity+1 !
Wanna Know More > theisozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=49420&hilit=+sata

FreeMCBoot Installer - OPL 0.8/9 + HDL0.8c
Game Compatibility Checker. WinHIIP User
ZX81v2's MAME/ARCADE Thread Here
FreeMCBoot Install Service "UK" Thread HERE
MY PS2 OPL 0.8 HDD Game Compatibility List Click Here 100% Safe

Latest MESS/MAME Roms : Retroroms.info < NEW SITE !

ImageImageImageImage

If you are/WERE a PS2 Developer please check PS2Home out !
Designed & (C)2013-2017 by ZX81v2
ZX81v2 Moderator

Custom Title: R Tape Loading Err0r

Postby polyfusion » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:42 am

I got it working, the key was a file I renamed on the USB stick.

There is a file on the USB stick, ULTRAMEM.UPG that I had renamed to ULTRAMEM.UPG.OLD. When the PS2 boots off the disk, it checks the USB stick for this "upgrade" file, and if present, boots that file. In not present, I believe it runs the menu system on the disk.

The ELF launcher on the "upgrade" file doesn't seem to run anything other than the ELFs supplied with it. And part of my problem with the ELF launcher run from the disk was that when I tried to switch to the USB stick, the ELF launcher couldn't see it, which is weird, because other apps like the hex editor and save manager could see the USB stick. Anyway, I was able to get around this by inserting a memory card. The ELF launcher could read the memory card, and then switching device to the USB stick worked, I could now see the USB stick, and attempt to run ELFs from it.

I put the latest uLaunch on the root of the USB stick, along with the Free MC Boot folder, and was able to run the installer through ULaunch, because trying to run the installer directly in the Ultramem ELF launcher wouldn't work. Making a normal Free MC Boot memory card then proceeded without a hitch.

Yes, I was aware that the length of the black screen can vary. ELFs like the chess and demos loaded almost immediately. Funnily enough, the chess program that runs from the Ultramem ELF, WON'T execute from uLaunch 4.43!

polyfusion 2

Postby polyfusion » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:46 am

Randummy1 wrote:
Why not just run uLaunchELF via Free MC Boot then? If that works then hey, no headache.

Like I said, I'm a glutton for punishment. :lol:

Also, I hate having stuff around that doesn't work as it should, or I can't figure out how to make it work. At least if these memory cards went belly-up, I have an alternative way of making a Free MC Boot card.

I'll make notes this time, so I don't forget how to make it work if there is a next time.

polyfusion 2

Postby shwoaps » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:09 pm

So, i can download this Draxter launcher, burn it and then make myself Free MC Boot with ps2. Do i understand correctly?

I always thought, that you need modded ps2 to write Free MC Boot to memory card.

Unfortunately did not find download on google.

shwoaps 3

Postby polyfusion » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:19 pm

I don't know, I have an original pressed CD-ROM and USB stick that came in a blister pack with a manual probably about 10 years ago.

I would have thought your PS2 would need to be chipped to run a burned disk, although there might be other ways to get it to run (swapping, etc.); My knowledge is limited to what I can do with this disk/USB stick; I know nothing about chipping or disk swapping on the PS2.

There is a thread on another forum that discusses this Ultramem product, and someone there posted a link for the disk ISO and USB contents. The link is further down the page (post # 14) and is live right now.

https://forums.afterdawn.com/threads/ma ... er.555723/

EDIT: Another link discussing the product.

https://assemblergames.com/threads/ultr ... ool.59401/

EDIT 2: This link shows the product in it's packaging, you might see it at a car boot sale/swap meet. I only paid a few euro for it maybe 10 years ago on eBay. Didn't really know it was any use at the time. €40 seems a bit pricey!

https://www.unilibro.it/videogame/ps2/s ... 9621902239

polyfusion 2

Postby shwoaps » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:09 am

Thanks for the links, will look in.

shwoaps 3

Return to System Modding