Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Burning PS1/PS2 games for beginners

If you're having hardware, software or emulation issues with your PlayStation, ask our experts here!

Burning PS1/PS2 games for beginners

Postby sasapinjic » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:32 pm

I know we have detailed guides already , but i want to make one simplified , similar to one i made already for PC games , so here goes . . .

Simple general guide for Burning PS1/PS2 games using "ImgBurn" program :

1.Find and download game ( place all parts of game if download is in parts in same download folder ) , make sure that you check will game will work for you by checking uploader info and comments on what method game is tested to work , or if it is tested at all , what are issues of game and how to solve them . Also make sure all parts are downloaded completed and without errors . In case of troubles , try some other browser , check your connection , turn off things that may disturb download ( like you browsing lot of things , watching movies , playing some hardware demanding game , etc , all that can disturb downloading process ) .

2.Extract download using programs like 7-zip or WinRar-32bit / WinRar-64bit , or extract part 001 or part 1 if download is in parts , until you get image of game ( it can be in various format files like CCD , BIN/CUE , IMG , MDS/MDF or ISO , dosent really mater , they are all commonly called ISO ) some games are double packed so if you get like parts 01-50 , just extract part 01 again .

3. It is advisable that you first test game on emulator ( ePSX and PCsx2 ) to make sure ISO working , although some games cant be tested correctly ( like Everquest like games) , since emulators are not perfect

4. If you have FMCB soft modded console you need to patch ISO of game with "ESR disc patcher" ( i recommend GUI v024a ), without that patch on burned ISO , game will not load on FMCB , will work on chip modded console and with swap trick ! Patching process is simple i and takes few minutes to set up/learn how to do it , and couple of seconds to finish .

5. If you want to burn Double Layered game ISO ( DVD-9 ) you need to patch ISO with Toxic Dual Layer Patcher , you need to have modchip capable of booting DVD9 media for this . Again , patching process is simple and takes few minutes to set up/learn how to do it , and couple of seconds to finish .

6.Burned PS2 games can be played by FMCB exploit , swap trick or installing chips that allow both PS1 and PS2 games to be played ( some chips support only PS2 games ) , while burned games on PS1 can be played with mod chip , swap trick or game cheat cartridges. NOTE : swap trick wears your laser very fast !

7. Next you need burning program , general opinion is that there is no better burning software for PS1/PS2 games than ImgBurn, so i recommend it . Open ImgBurn and select "Write Img File to disc" , then turn OFF verify and test options (they are useless and can cause trouble with burning) . Then select burning speed . Consoles (especialy PS2) can be picky about preferred speed , so there is no exact general rule ( users get to known their consoles favorite after few burns anyway ), but it is recommend to select burn speed to between x4 and x8 for PS2 DVD based games , while for PS2 CD based games and PS1 games it is between x10 and x16 . All other seatings should be left on default .

8. About media , it is recommended to use CD-R and DVD-R disc only , +R are mostly hated by both PS . NEWER use +RW ( except for short testing purposes) , even if you manage to load game , it will wear both your disc and laser of your PS VERY fast ! Brand dosent mater much , since most brands are printed in same factories who just stick various brands on their discs , factory where disc is made is important ! For example , Maxell sell in UK are good , ones sell here ( Balkans ) are crap , but we have good Sony discs here . So , look not at brand as much , look for origin of disc , avoid : Singapore, Taiwan, India, United Arab Emirates (UAE), China . This page can also help a lot , site link : http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
ImgBurn can be used to determine disc info to , just insert disc in PC and start ImgBurn , you will see lots of info about Disc in large window above write speed selection .

9. Now, to burn game Inset BLANK disc in your burner . Make sure to insert CD for PS1 and CD based PS2 games (under 700 MB size) and DVD for DVD PS2 based games (above 700 MB size). Then in ImgBurn click "File" , then "Browse source file" (or click "Source" , same drill) , then navigate to game ISO and select it . Dont worry to make mistake , ImgBurn is very smart program , it auto fix your mistakes , so if you made mistake like select BIN instead CUE , it will auto fix you and warn you to not do it again . Now under destination select your burner (it is set as default usually) . Burn speed is also limited by your burner , so , ImgBurn will auto correct speed if your Burner cant support selected speed , and it will inform you of change and what your burner can support .

10. All set ? OK , click on BURN icon under test/verify option , looks like paper and arrow to Disc)
Spoiler:
. You may be notified by ImgBurn that some setting is auto changed by him , confirm that you accept ImgBurn changes and start burning . Then wait , it can take from 5-30 minutes , depend on burn speed , size file , you burner and what you do on PC in time of burning . As with download process tip under 1. , dont do hardware demanding activities during burning , it may disturb burning ( slim chance for that truth be told with burning , but still it is chance ) .

11. Go play !

Tips and advices :

Some games have copy protection ( example , Spyro 3 ) and cant be just "burn and play-ed" like majority of rest , they need to be patched with kill protection or workaround patch , for such games you need to do little Google-ing around .
Some later models of PS2 have sneaky anti piracy BIOS , when they detect bad media , they INTENTIONALLY send to much power to laser to wear disc and make it unusable . You can know that you have one if your new burns work fine at first , but play bad or refuse to play after short while ( few hours or days ) , it looks sorta like this :
Spoiler:

Remedy for this is to use better discs .
You can play burned games from other region to ( even modded/pached games ) all you need is SCART adapter , and for your TV that can support other region to .
For FMCB users , Insert FMCB card in slot 2 and keep it there, and insert save/s card in slot 1, never save games on FMCB memory card , back-up you FMCB card, only official SONY card can be used , dont mess with FMCB settings if you dont know what you doing or you have researched it well .
If you fail to start game and you did ALL by the book , possible reasons can be :
-bad ISO - try some other ,
-bad/weak PS laser -replace it/try pot tweak ,
-bad burner -try other burner/other PC .

sasapinjic 13

Custom Title: Gafgarion(Penninless Scumbag)

Re: Burning PS1/PS2 games for beginners

Postby psydefx » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:16 pm

good guide though i disagree on the imgburn verify option causing problems with burning. i always have it on and have never experienced problems. not useless either cause it helps to know if there was any issue with the burned disc

psydefx 5

Postby Thelonewolf » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:22 pm

Are you sure about this PS2 anti piracy BIOS?

I worked in the games industry for 7 years a QA tester and worked on PS1 and PS2. We had consumer PS2's (some mod chipped too for test purposes) and Debug Test kits on all PS2 Motherboard revisions

I have never heard of this PS2 anti-piracy bios you speak of, as the only issue was the Slim PS2's having to add a laser diode to prevent laser burn when it had a mod chip installed. V14 model or something .

If I remember, this was due to the functionality/design of the chip and not a mod chip detection enforced by the system.

If you have a legit source of information to back this up, I would like to read it please.

Thelonewolf 4

Postby GalanDun » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:32 pm

^^^This. I've been in the PS2 modding scene for years now, and I've never even heard about that.

Hey! I review games, movies, and books over on my website! Please check it out!
https://blogdudesvariousreviews.blogspot.com
GalanDun 8

Custom Title: White Knight of The Internet

Postby sasapinjic » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:57 pm

Well, i call it anti piracy BIOS, couse it is what it do. Dont know SONY name/explanation for it, probably "Minor Bug coused by use of pirated software", and, just like spying software, it is not poblicly spoken/named, mostly couse it apeared in last models when PS2 was already at end of production, and PS3 apeared, so it wasnt really in center of atention anymore. But bug it is there, confirmed on one my slim PS2 ( SCPH 79004 PAL) , and in one case right here one ISO zone post:
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=30595&p=245746&hilit=burning#p245746

It is rare tough, couse to activate you need to have that BIOS, really crappy discs, and not so good laser. This may look like conspiracy theory of some sort, Thats why i put this info in tips section, mayority of users will never need it, maybe not even belive it, but ocasionally, some other person may have same problem, and I post explanation. ;)

sasapinjic 13

Custom Title: Gafgarion(Penninless Scumbag)

Postby voultar » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:50 pm

The MECHACON on the final PS2 phat revision (SCPH-5000x) and the 1st generation PS2 Slim v12 (7000x) is in fact booby-trapped. But this doesn't only impact burned media. Scratched up pressed discs can also cause the coils to drive too much current and burn the laser up, too. Current limiting the coils is an easy & safe solution. As is installing a Matrix PIC fix that will monitor the draw and immediately shut the system down if/when the coils sink too much current.

This has nothing to do with the BIOS. The laser is controlled by firmware in the MECHACON.

The fact that Sony's "anti-mod" measures also affected pressed media, a lawsuit ensued.

As a result of the litigation, subsequent models (V13) onward removed this.

For all modding inquires, contact sales@voultar.com

voultar 6

Custom Title: The Champion

Postby Thelonewolf » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:14 am

voultar wrote:The MECHACON on the final PS2 phat revision (SCPH-5000x) and the 1st generation PS2 Slim v12 (7000x) is in fact booby-trapped. But this doesn't only impact burned media. Scratched up pressed discs can also cause the coils to drive too much current and burn the laser up, too. Current limiting the coils is an easy & safe solution. As is installing a Matrix PIC fix that will monitor the draw and immediately shut the system down if/when the coils sink too much current.

This has nothing to do with the BIOS. The laser is controlled by firmware in the MECHACON.

The fact that Sony's "anti-mod" measures also affected pressed media, a lawsuit ensued.

As a result of the litigation, subsequent models (V13) onward removed this.

I never knew the 5000x phat series had this. Does that apply to a fmcb setup using ESR patched dvd-rs or just when a modchip was installed.

Quite ironic, since they advertised DVD-R/+ support for these.

Thelonewolf 4

Postby mutter2009 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:21 am

good guide though i d,thanks; merci beaucoup

mutter2009 Newbie

Postby FFTHEWINNER » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:46 am

Nice guide! :)

FFTHEWINNER 9

Postby Vaportropicae » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:52 pm

Thanks, man!