Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

[PS3] YPbPr to RGB

If you're having hardware, software or emulation issues with your PlayStation, ask our experts here!

[PS3] YPbPr to RGB

Postby Irome88 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:12 pm

Is there a way to convert the YPbPr signal to RGB?

I was wondering if it was possible to develop a ps3 app (with cfw) that would convert the RGB video signal so that it could be connected to a vga monitor.

If you do not already have an app like that, and there is some volunteer dev, contact me privately, I can donate ...

Irome88 2

Re: [PS3] YPbPr to RGB

Postby Jonny7810 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:04 pm

Irome88 wrote:Is there a way to convert the YPbPr signal to RGB?

I was wondering if it was possible to develop a ps3 app (with cfw) that would convert the RGB video signal so that it could be connected to a vga monitor.

If you do not already have an app like that, and there is some volunteer dev, contact me privately, I can donate ...

You can actually connect a PS3 to a VGA monitor using a HDMI-VGA adapter. I personally tried this with a 22" Horizon LCD that only uses VGA and it worked using the PS3 on 720p.

Depending on where you live, you could try finding this HAMA HDMI-VGA adapter and give it a try. It carries out audio as well.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My consoles,v20.17:

Crystal 1.4 w/ iND-BIOS 5004,256KB ST TSOP,80GB WD800BB IDE,Phillips DVD-ROM,UnleashX
Xbox v1.0 w/ EvoX M8+ F&G,1MB TSOP,80GB Seagate ST3802110A IDE,Samsung SDG-605B DVD-ROM,XBMC
PS2 SCPH-50003 w/ Modbo 4.0 1.99
PS2 SCPH-50003 - silver, stock
PS2 SCPH-30004R w/ Ripper v2
PS2 SCPH-90004a - stock
PS2 SCPH-70004a - FMCB 1,93
PS2 SCPH-77007a - stock

Computers:
Main rig - Gigabyte GA-MA770-US3,AMD Athlon II X4 Processor 2.6GHz,4GB DDR2,Radeon R7 240 2GB,1TB Samsung HD103SI,H-L DVD drive,Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Jonny7810 3

Custom Title: Now look at this NET

Postby shiva2004 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:10 pm

Irome88 wrote:Is there a way to convert the YPbPr signal to RGB?

What you ask for is impossible, the video encoding is made at the hardware level and also YPbPr and VGA are fairly different encoding standards, you can't change that via software, your only option is to use some kind of converter.

shiva2004 2

Postby classyskeleton » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:58 am

You can transcode from YPbPr to RGB without any real quality loss (outside of normal transmission losses) and generating the required separate sync signals is also pretty trivial. Chances are there's a cheap~ Chinese converter for this task on ebay/dealextreme.

Edit :
I don't imagine there's anything that can be done with software alone.

classyskeleton 3

Postby HisDivineShadow » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:50 pm

What you want is to encode from YPbPr to VGA. If you search YPbPr to RGB and visa versa you will normally get links to YPbPr and SCART RGB not VGA.

The transcoders for SCART RGB to YPbPr are relatively common and cheap and in my experience work well. I've not used a YPbPr to RGB SCART but they're much rarer and from what I've seen more expensive. You'd also be sacrificing any HD resolution options as SCART RGB only supports interlaced SD resolution. The audio also, normally, has to be handled separately.

Decent YPbPr to VGA transcoders are much more expensive than either generally and last time I was interested enough to look could only be found in the US. But a quick search today did get me to this:-

http://www.js-technology.com/store/prod ... product=13

It has a cheap 'project' took to it but the spec seems to be OK.

However I found this YT video and it suggests that with the adapter shown even with HDMI and HDCP apparently MAY be suitable for use with the PS3 for converting HDMI to work on some VGA monitors. Note the comments below the video as plenty of others have not had the same success with their monitors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isOAOv7nSzw

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby Irome88 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:41 pm

I asked this question because I know that on other consoles, for example on the Xbox classic and PS2, you can use VGA.

So I do not understand why it is not possible to do the same for the ps3.

Here are the sources of apps that changed the video output of ps2:
(GS Mode Selectior) https://bitbucket.org/doctorxyz/gsm/src
(Open PS2Loader) https://github.com/ifcaro/Open-PS2-Loader
https://bitbucket.org/ifcaro/open-ps...0fb2c27bcc6349

Irome88 2

Postby HisDivineShadow » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:31 pm

With the original Xbox converting to VGA is not a simple process requiring both a DIY VGA cable build and other modding.

I've been looking into this a bit more and you can find on eBay Chinese Component > VGA converters for about £52/$68 and that simple YT HDMI > VGA cable adapter solution cost only £5/$7 so maybe worth a punt.

HisDivineShadow 9

Return to Troubleshooting