Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Problems with burning In The Groove (US PS2)

If you're having hardware, software or emulation issues with your PlayStation, ask our experts here!

Problems with burning In The Groove (US PS2)

Postby UndercoverGravy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:44 pm

I've burned multiple copies of this game and so far, only one of them is known to work and only on my Fat PS2 (I'd like for it to work on my Slim PS2 instead). After doing a bit of research online (which is what I SHOULD'VE done before burning my first disc) I got it to work by selecting "Disable ESR after first IOP reset" in ESR GUI. Also, it took about 55-57 seconds after closing the disc tray for the disc to be recognized by ESR GUI as a PS2DVDV. Again this is only on my Fat PS2.

On my Slim PS2, it almost always comes up with "Unknown media in drive," and when it doesn't, the game doesn't boot up at all.

Should I use higher quality media? I'm using old-ish red/magenta HP DVD-Rs (Manufacturer ID according to ImgBurn is "CMC MAG. AM3"), but other games I've burned on these discs (notably DDR Extreme JP) run fine, even on my Slim. I'm using a Novapolt CB31005 USB 3.0 DVD burner (recognized by ImgBurn as a "TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L633C DW50 (USB)") to try to burn In The Groove because the DVD laser on my LG SP60NB50 drive that I used to burn DDR Extreme JP on broke (it still reads and burns CDs just fine, though. Is this a bad burner, or do these DVDs not work well with bigger games? ITG is almost 4 GB while DDR Extreme JP is only 1.24 GB. Maybe I should try one more burn on x8, MAX, or AWS instead of x4?

Thanks.

Consoles owned (all stock unless noted otherwise with a * statement):
Spoiler:
NES (Front-loading) *10-NES disabled
Genesis (Model 2)
SNES *Two plastic tabs removed for playing JP (SFC) games
Saturn Model 1 *Laser replaced, still not working
Saturn Model 2 *Universal V3 mod chip
PlayStation
N64
Dreamcast
PS2 (Fat, SCPH-39001)
PS2 (Slim, SCPH-70012)
GameCube
PS3 (Super Slim)
UndercoverGravy 2

Re: Problems with burning In The Groove (US PS2)

Postby sasapinjic » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:15 pm

It can be burner problem, but if other burned games work fine , it can be ISO issue to.
Or combination of both.

I have example i wish to share, maybe you recognize your case here to.
Recently, my burner started to burn more and more bad burns for my PS2, some games dint want to work (like jax and dexter, dint want to play no mater what setings or ISO i used) , while some games work partialy (drakenguard) and some work preaty good except some FMV issues (Rachet and clank) , while all games i burn for PSX work without any issue.
So,. In my case, it is nearly dead burner, but it was still able to trow out few last burns, maybe you have similar case.

sasapinjic 13

Custom Title: Gafgarion(Penninless Scumbag)

Postby UndercoverGravy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:44 pm

sasapinjic wrote:It can be burner problem, but if other burned games work fine , it can be ISO issue to.
Or combination of both.

I have example i wish to share, maybe you recognize your case here to.
Recently, my burner started to burn more and more bad burns for my PS2, some games dint want to work (like jax and dexter, dint want to play no mater what setings or ISO i used) , while some games work partialy (drakenguard) and some work preaty good except some FMV issues (Rachet and clank) , while all games i burn for PSX work without any issue.
So,. In my case, it is nearly dead burner, but it was still able to trow out few last burns, maybe you have similar case.

I got this burner not too long ago, though. Also, is it a good idea to verify your burns in ImgBurn? I don't think it's ever given me an issue with disc performance.

Spoiler:
Genesis (Model 2)
PlayStation
N64
Dreamcast
PS2 (Fat, SCPH-39001)
PS2 (Slim, SCPH-70012)
GameCube
PS3 (Super Slim)
UndercoverGravy 2

Postby sasapinjic » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:49 pm

I never use verify and test options.
Some people say it cant hurt to use them, but in my expirience, nearly every ISO has some Minor glitches that dont afect game, but if you use verify and test options, those glitches MAY couse problems.

sasapinjic 13

Postby UndercoverGravy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:52 pm

I just tested 3 previously-burned games on my Fat and Slim PS2s:

Auto Modellista (JP)
Initial D Special Stage (JP)
Tokyo Xtreme Racer: Zero (US)

They all worked on the Fat but none of them worked on the Slim. There, it would sometimes end up at the PS2 browser screen (with the memory cards and stuff) where it will say "DVD player not set up." I think my Slim laser needs to be adjusted or replaced, because it seems a lot more picky than my Fat PS2.

Spoiler:
Genesis (Model 2)
PlayStation
N64
Dreamcast
PS2 (Fat, SCPH-39001)
PS2 (Slim, SCPH-70012)
GameCube
PS3 (Super Slim)
UndercoverGravy 2

Postby sasapinjic » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:09 pm

UndercoverGravy wrote:I just tested 3 previously-burned games on my Fat and Slim PS2s:

Auto Modellista (JP)

They all worked on the Fat but none of them worked on the Slim. There, it would sometimes end up at the PS2 browser screen (with the memory cards and stuff) where it will say "DVD player not set up." I think my Slim laser needs to be adjusted or replaced, because it seems a lot more picky than my Fat PS2.

Yes, it seems both your PS2 have weak laser, but your slim is in worse condition than your Fat, thats your Fat is better sucesfoul in loading. Weak lasers can load better originals and CERTAIN quality burned games, while have issues with bad quality burns or media.
Also, Did both of your PS2 are soft modded or your Fat is chip modded, if so, make sure to ESR patch each ISO before burning.

sasapinjic 13

Postby UndercoverGravy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:31 pm

sasapinjic wrote:
UndercoverGravy wrote:I just tested 3 previously-burned games on my Fat and Slim PS2s:

Auto Modellista (JP)

Yes, it seems both your PS2 have weak laser, but your slim is in worse condition than your Fat, thats your Fat is better sucesfoul in loading. Weak lasers can load better originals and CERTAIN quality burned games, while have issues with bad quality burns or media.
Also, Did both of your PS2 are soft modded or your Fat is chip modded, if so, make sure to ESR patch each ISO before burning.

I made sure to patch all of my ISOs before burning them. I have a memory card with Free McBoot and ESR GUI on it, and I can use it on both my Slim and Fat PS2. I'm not sure if it's multi-system, but considering that a burned copy of DDR Extreme (JP) works on my Slim, then I assume it is.

Spoiler:
Genesis (Model 2)
PlayStation
N64
Dreamcast
PS2 (Fat, SCPH-39001)
PS2 (Slim, SCPH-70012)
GameCube
PS3 (Super Slim)
UndercoverGravy 2

Postby UndercoverGravy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:47 am

Oh God, I think my Slim laser is absolutely fucked. DDR Extreme (JP) is now having issues with playing back song previews and unusually long load times (I have no issues actually playing through a song, though). My official copy of DDR SuperNova (US) is having similar issues. Of course, this all happens only on the Slim. I have no issues with these discs on the Fat PS2.

Should I try adjusting the potentiometers sometime or should I just replace the laser entirely?

Spoiler:
Genesis (Model 2)
PlayStation
N64
Dreamcast
PS2 (Fat, SCPH-39001)
PS2 (Slim, SCPH-70012)
GameCube
PS3 (Super Slim)
UndercoverGravy 2

Postby sasapinjic » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:46 am

There is limit of what pot tweak can do, at certain point, when laser is just so bad it cant be adjusted anymore , replacement is only solution.
You can find then on net from 6-20$, be picky and check seller reputation and your slim model.

sasapinjic 13

Postby UndercoverGravy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:37 pm

sasapinjic wrote:There is limit of what pot tweak can do, at certain point, when laser is just so bad it cant be adjusted anymore , replacement is only solution.
You can find then on net from 6-20$, be picky and check seller reputation and your slim model.

I'm looking into getting a Raspberry Pi and a microSD card with Open Media Vault and hooking it up directly to my Slim PS2 using an Ethernet cable. Then I can run games off of my NTFS-formatted 64 GB flash drive plugged into the Pi through Ethernet using OPL 0.9.3. Hopefully all the DDR games along with In The Groove are compatible. The site with the compatibility list is down right now. I get this error:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Genesis (Model 2)
PlayStation
N64
Dreamcast
PS2 (Fat, SCPH-39001)
PS2 (Slim, SCPH-70012)
GameCube
PS3 (Super Slim)
UndercoverGravy 2

Postby sasapinjic » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:44 pm

^ sorry, dont have expirience with those.

sasapinjic 13

Return to Troubleshooting