Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

the equifax breach

the equifax breach

Postby TheBurningPunch » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:45 pm

I had a discussion about this in my networking class and i think the company is putting little emphasis on protecting millions of information that could get in the wrong hands. admin as a username and password..seriously?

What are your thoughts?

TheBurningPunch 3

Custom Title: バーニング パンチ

Re: the equifax breach

Postby erik1977 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:49 pm

That's what happens when incompetent people are put in positions they shouldn't have. :roll:

Systems I currently own:

Spoiler:
Playstation (modchip)
Xbox 360 slim
PS3 slim

Gaming PCs:

Windows 7 64 bit desktop (Athlon II X2 250 3ghz, 2gb ram, Radeon x1650 512mb, 128gb SSD)
Windows XP 32 bit desktop (Athlon XP 2800+ 2.1ghz, Abit NF7-S, 2gb ram, Radeon X800GTO 256mb, 2x 500gb HDD)
Windows 98SE desktop (Slot 1 Pentium 3 550mhz, Asus P3B-F, 320mb ram, Geforce TI4200 128mb, 3DFX Voodoo 2 12mb, 2x 40gb HDD)
Windows 95 desktop (Pentium 133mhz, Asus P/I-P55TP4XE, 40mb ram, Matrox Mystique 4mb, 3DFX Voodoo 2 8mb, 10gb HDD)
DOS 6.22 laptop (486DX2 50mhz, 8mb ram, 350mb HDD)
erik1977 6

Postby GalanDun » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:54 pm

They're as incompetant as the day is long.

Hey! I review games, movies, and books over on my website! Please check it out!
https://blogdudesvariousreviews.blogspot.com
GalanDun 8

Custom Title: White Knight of The Internet

Postby SleepyFist » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:04 am

Hope none of my info got out, god only knows how many businesses I've given out my social security number to over the past several months.

Luckily I don't have a bank account or any credit.

SleepyFist 3

Postby seriouslyconstipated » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:34 am

TheBurningPunch wrote:I had a discussion about this in my networking class and i think the company is putting little emphasis on protecting millions of information that could get in the wrong hands. admin as a username and password..seriously?

What are your thoughts?

But isn't that how everyone acts nowadays. Back in the day, admitting to which city you actually lived was considered a massively stupid thing to post on the Internet. Nowadays, people not only post their name, face, family members, job, and even house online, but they are extremely lax when it comes to security measures. You'll be amazed at how many people use Password1@ as an actual password for everything or they completely don't have one and just change it every time they need to go into an app or program.

That said, one would think that a business that deals primarily in personal information would know, or have enough people on the payroll enough to not fall into these pitfalls.

seriouslyconstipated Newbie

Postby MisterXiado » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:05 am

I'm pretty sure Jim said it best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHcGVOJXRzI
(not embedded because the public internet hates the F word)

I work for a company that frequently has "data breaches" due to constantly outsourcing support without vetting potential employees. If only you knew how bad it really is.

The Homepage of the Oldternet - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
MisterXiado 3

Postby schmupluvr » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:26 am

I was involved in identity theft a few years back. Ever since I have had credit monitoring. I got a notice last week that I should be extra careful. (pretty sure my stuff was lifted from Equifax)

I don't know if anyone who has a computer on the web will ever be secure ultimately. EVER. There is always a back door.

About 10 yrs ago I signed up to be a beta tester for an internet service that uses power lines.
The data "floats" on the same wire(s) that carries the electricity. My area never saw it but the last I heard, some large cities did have it implemented. It may have fallen through for a number of reasons. Super cool possibilities using existing wires though.

When considering the nature of this kind of internet service technology it sure doesn't look good for the future of security either.

Spoiler:
PSTV Henkaku Enso, 2TB ext hdd, dualshock 4
TSOP Xbox/CoinOPS/Ninja
Colecovision w/SD
Sega-any
TG-16
NES
PS3 CECHA01
PS4 w/1TB sshd
Wii loaded

Trinitrons, D-Series JVC and Toshiba CRTs. Lucky to have 3 curved screens with Y,Pb,Pr too!
schmupluvr 5

Custom Title: Colecovision O.G./Grey Jedi

Postby mrpink999 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:35 am

This breach is far from over....
Everyone needs to sign on that class action so this does not just "Go Away"
repercussions from this can last for years with the sheer volume of data stolen
Careful what you sign

Another note, I had my identity stolen as well

A few days later I received a sympathy card with $5 in it
stating "they did not want to be me anymore" :D

mrpink999 Moderator

Custom Title: No Worries

Postby schmupluvr » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:21 pm

@Pink :lol: :lol:
My sympathy card must've been stolen from the mail.

Spoiler:
PSTV Henkaku Enso, 2TB ext hdd, dualshock 4
TSOP Xbox/CoinOPS/Ninja
Colecovision w/SD
Sega-any
TG-16
NES
PS3 CECHA01
PS4 w/1TB sshd
Wii loaded

Trinitrons, D-Series JVC and Toshiba CRTs. Lucky to have 3 curved screens with Y,Pb,Pr too!
schmupluvr 5

Custom Title: Colecovision O.G./Grey Jedi

Postby TheBurningPunch » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:56 pm

seriouslyconstipated wrote:
TheBurningPunch wrote:I had a discussion about this in my networking class and i think the company is putting little emphasis on protecting millions of information that could get in the wrong hands. admin as a username and password..seriously?

What are your thoughts?

But isn't that how everyone acts nowadays. Back in the day, admitting to which city you actually lived was considered a massively stupid thing to post on the Internet. Nowadays, people not only post their name, face, family members, job, and even house online, but they are extremely lax when it comes to security measures. You'll be amazed at how many people use Password1@ as an actual password for everything or they completely don't have one and just change it every time they need to go into an app or program.

That said, one would think that a business that deals primarily in personal information would know, or have enough people on the payroll enough to not fall into these pitfalls.

I never post my where i live on my gaming accounts nor my youtube account. I dont take my personal safety lightly. i only give out that info for employment verification or doctor visits which is mandatory. i try my best to give the toughest passwords i can. i deleted my facebook as i don't wanna put myself out there for very long. as for youtube and twitter, ill maintain my burningpunch name for all that.

TheBurningPunch 3

Custom Title: バーニング パンチ

Postby MisterXiado » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:34 pm

By simply existing, these companies have your information, and speaking from experience, corporations dealing in data acquisition and retention are typically reactive in their security, which is the second worst kind of security. You don't have to have had a loan, utilities in your name, or much of anything. As stated by others, the credit companies will easily purge any fraudulent crap from your report, because they NEED you to be eligible for loans you may not be able to pay off. It's that sweet, sweet compound interest, the most powerful force in the universe.

I seem to have made some people mad, as I can't even get a home loan for $15k (yes, fifteen thousand dollars, not one hundred and fifty thousand), and my credit report is suspiciously blank.

MisterXiado 3

Postby Berzerk » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:18 pm

I just got a call and email about bogus transactions on my CC today. I have a broken leg so I am not walking around buying things I even checked the Equifax site and it said I was Ok still not sure how they got my CC #. I still think the hack at Equifax was involved. I have not used that CC in about a year never had this happen until now. They charged $158 each in different transactions buy the same E company. But Equifax says I am clear of any breach yeah right.

Berzerk 4

Custom Title: No matter where you go there you are.

Postby MisterXiado » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:10 am

Now comes the fun of being issued new cards and accounts, and a new SSNOH WAIT, NOPE. Want to avoid all of this and go cash-only? Bam, watchlist.

MisterXiado 3

Postby zombiegauze » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:42 am

Im late to the party here, but here is what the FTC said to do about this breach:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2017/ ... ch-what-do

CUSTOM XBOXS FOR SALE w/ 2TB Hard Drives and over 30,000+ Arcade/Console Games including 200 Xbox Games

Each 2TB Xbox includes CoinOps 8 w/ 12,000+ Games and Premium 8 Massive & Ninja Massive

My Uploads
Buy a custom Xbox here
zombiegauze 7

Custom Title: I ☺ MODDED XBOXs

Return to General Chat