Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Do you miss the old days of gaming?

Re: Do you miss the old days of gaming?

Postby Moandain » Tue May 08, 2018 8:07 pm

XC-3730C wrote:I am a pick-up-and play and pay once kind of gamer.

Love this!

@signaure = <Insert_Smart_and_wise_comment>

Consoles I own
Spoiler:
NES FRONT LOADER
SNES
SNES jr
N64
Gamecube
Wii x2
Wiiu
GBA
GBA SP
3DS XL
ATARI 2600 JR
ATARI 5200
ATARI 7800
ATARI JAGUAR
ATARI LYNX
3DO
CD-I
INTELLIVISION
COMMODORE 64
RADIOSHACK TRS80 COLOR
TG-16
PC-FX
MASTER SYSTEM
GENESIS/32X/CD MODEL 2
GENESIS MODEL 2
SATURN X2
DREAMCAST
GAMEGEAR
NOMAD
NEO GEO AES
NEO GEO POCKET COLOR
XBOX X2
XBOX 360 X2
XBOX ONE
PS1 X2
psone w/ screen
PS2 FAT X2
PS3 SLIM X2
PSP 3000
VITA 1001
PSTV
RETROPIE

My YouTube
Moandain 4

Postby VoodooVincent » Tue May 08, 2018 8:21 pm

I do. While I still enjoy a lot of games, my favorite thing about these new systems, or at least the Xbox One, is the backwards compatibility stuff. I would've bought an X just to play Xbox & Xbox 360 games in 4K.

I recently bought Thimbleweed Park from Limited Run Games for the PS4 and it ended up downloading an entirely different, I'm assuming vastly improved, version, making the "collectible" version on the disc the old, shittier version. That happens a lot with all new games, including the limited physical release games.

One thing I hate in gaming nowadays are the fad games. We went from Guitar Hero, to Angry Birds, to Skylanders, to Pokemon Go, to PUBG, to Fortnite, etc. The mainstream latches onto these kinda games, pretends they're god's gift to gamers, then they drop them like a bad habit, and people forget about them.

Last edited by VoodooVincent on Tue May 08, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Democrats are domestic terrorists.
VoodooVincent 7

Postby Killpop » Tue May 08, 2018 8:21 pm

I miss the old Atari 2600 and NES days.

The gaming world isn't filled only with violence and depravity. In fact, it's mostly enchanting.
-Naomi Alderman
Killpop 2

Custom Title: I want PANCAKES.........

Postby Sabkahn » Tue May 08, 2018 8:33 pm

VoodooVincent wrote:One thing I hate in gaming nowadays are the fad games. We went from Guitar Hero, to Angry Birds, to Skylanders, to Pokemon Go, to PUBG, to Fortnite, etc. The mainstream latches onto these kinda games, pretends they're god's gift to gamers, then they drop them like a bad habit, and people forget about them.

That´s nothing new though. On the SNES / Genesis everyone and their mother wanted to make a mascot plattformer, on the PC we had boatloads of Doom clones, on consoles it then switched to Fun Racers / Kart Racers for a while, on PC we got flooded with Diablo, Starcraft and Age of Empires clones, then it was the WWII based FPS game that was popular for a while until Infinity Ward struck Gold with CoD 4. The major difference is that nowadays more people in general are playing Video games than 15 years ago.

Sabkahn 5

Postby CBThatGuy » Tue May 08, 2018 8:40 pm

Sabkahn wrote:
VoodooVincent wrote:One thing I hate in gaming nowadays are the fad games. We went from Guitar Hero, to Angry Birds, to Skylanders, to Pokemon Go, to PUBG, to Fortnite, etc. The mainstream latches onto these kinda games, pretends they're god's gift to gamers, then they drop them like a bad habit, and people forget about them.

That´s nothing new though. On the SNES / Genesis everyone and their mother wanted to make a mascot plattformer, on the PC we had boatloads of Doom clones, on consoles it then switched to Fun Racers / Kart Racers for a while, on PC we got flooded with Diablo, Starcraft and Age of Empires clones, then it was the WWII based FPS game that was popular for a while until Infinity Ward struck Gold with CoD 4. The major difference is that nowadays more people in general are playing Video games than 15 years ago.

Don't forget about the countless 3D platformers that came out after the success of Mario 64.

My son kept asking me for weeks if I could get him Fortnite. I think he played for maybe 15 minutes before losing interest and going back to Minecraft.

Atari 2600
NES, SNES (Everdrive), SupaBoy, Wii (softmod), WiiU
Sega Nomad, Genesis (Everdrive), Dreamcast
Playstation 1 (chipped), 2 (HDLoader), 3 & 4
Xbox (Xecuter 3), Xbox 360 (drive mod)
Game Boy Color, PSP (CFW), PSTV, & DS (Acekard2i), 3DS (modded)
Turbografx 16 (Everdrive)
CBThatGuy 5

Postby goat813 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:54 pm

I more so miss the days of having time to actually play games :/

Xbox S/N SpiderGoat813
Playstation S/N SpiderGoat1984
Steam S/N SpiderGoat813 add me and lets play some games!
goat813 6

Postby AlmaElma » Tue May 08, 2018 11:12 pm

The past had good and bad when it came to gaming IMO. To me, it had a ton more good though. If I could go back I would.

AlmaElma 2

Postby CBThatGuy » Tue May 08, 2018 11:16 pm

Mainly I wish that developers would take more chances on unusual concepts. It seems like there were so many amazing games back then that never would get made today due to how odd they were.

Atari 2600
NES, SNES (Everdrive), SupaBoy, Wii (softmod), WiiU
Sega Nomad, Genesis (Everdrive), Dreamcast
Playstation 1 (chipped), 2 (HDLoader), 3 & 4
Xbox (Xecuter 3), Xbox 360 (drive mod)
Game Boy Color, PSP (CFW), PSTV, & DS (Acekard2i), 3DS (modded)
Turbografx 16 (Everdrive)
CBThatGuy 5

Postby Tingler42DD69 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:28 pm

I do kind of miss cleaning the heads on my cassette players and floppy drives and tuning them up to specs. I originally started on the Sinclair ZX81 with just 1k of memory! When I finally bought that 16k add-on module then it was like "Wow...now I can really do some serious programming!" I am getting really old.....sigh. :cry: ;)

Tingler42DD69 4

Postby erik1977 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:45 pm

Yes, I do miss the old days. But mind you the latest gen systems I got into were the Xbox360 and the PS3 and never paid any money for DLC, only real expansions.

Systems I currently own:

Spoiler:
Playstation (modchip)
Xbox 360 slim
PS3 slim

Gaming PCs:

Win7 x64 desktop (Athlon II X2 250 3ghz, 2gb ram, Radeon x1650 512mb)
WinXP desktop (Athlon XP 2800+ 2.1ghz, 2gb ram, Radeon X800GTO 256mb)
Win98SE desktop (Pentium 3 550mhz, 320mb ram, Geforce TI4200 128mb, 3DFX Voodoo 2 12mb)
Win95 desktop (Pentium 133mhz, 40mb ram, Matrox Mystique 4mb, 3DFX Voodoo 2 8mb)
Win95 laptop (Pentium 166MMX, 32mb ram)
DOS 6.22 laptop (486DX2 50mhz, 8mb ram)
erik1977 7

Postby UnholyArceus » Wed May 09, 2018 12:41 am

times change and i just don't know what else to say.

i got rage in Real Life!!
UnholyArceus 13

Postby Mute » Wed May 09, 2018 12:53 am

steven1977 wrote:Do you miss the old days of gaming?

For me I do. I hate that you have to download a 5gb patch on a brand new game on release day or they have to charge you for DLC for things they should have added in the first place. Thats one reason I love how games used to be because you paid your money for a game and that was it no extra charges and if you wanted to play multiplayer you have to actually ask someone to come over for a game.

One thing that is better is how everything is there in your fingertips as in game solutions, I remember having to tune into a gameshow or buy various sealed magazines in hope they would have help for the certain game you was stuck on.

I agree with what you say about how nowadays you have to keep paying for a game even though you own it...Yea back then when you bought a game you bought the complete game, and if you wanted a new costume or a new weapon or unlimited money you could just put in a code and you would unlock something...nowadays you have to pay money to get money to buy a new costume or weapon or more money...or something, and yea multiplayer= call a friend over and set up 2 tv's with 2 ps1's and 2 copies of doom and have a hell of time playing...Priceless

I do miss gaming magazines.. i used to get and still have some copies of my old gamepro's and Game Informer's..that have full walkthroughs..if i would get stuck in a game i would just have my mags by my side to look through..i didn't have to go on the internet and look..

I feel like some people would rather "socially network" and potentially get the wrong answer slowly, rather than just use google and get the right answer immediately.
Mute 5

Postby acr250rider » Wed May 09, 2018 12:58 am

Yeah, I miss going to the Arcade to see and play the latest greatest games! Only thing I really wish we had back in the day were the everdrives! Holy shit if they had everdrives in the 80`s to the early 90`s time would have stood still for me. Well that would have meant no life!

:lovetiz:

Spoiler:
Systems owned:
(2) Nintendo
(3) Sega Genesis/ (1) Cd /32X
(2) Super Nintendo
(2) Nintendo 64
(2) Sony PS1 1 REGULAR / 1 Chipped
(2) Soft Modded PS2 Phat
Dreamcast
Panasonic 3do
(4) soft modded Original Xbox
Pokémon Gale of Darkness Gamecube W/GBA Player.
(2) Xbox 360 1 Slim/1 Phat
(2) Ps3`s one jailbroken one not.
(2) Soft modded Wii
(2) PS4
Xbox one
(2) Wii U
Saturn (running Pseudo).
Sony PSP 6.20 Pro-B9 permanent .
acr250rider 7

Custom Title: Its all good Bro, Lets just play some games!

Postby EarthwormJames » Wed May 09, 2018 1:05 am

Don't miss it because I've abandoned modern game and gone full retro. And thanks to isozone my gaming costs are almost zip. Though I still tend to buy a controller or something once a year or so.

EarthwormJames 6

Custom Title: Lumbricus Extraterrestris

Postby ryder4life » Wed May 09, 2018 4:13 am

As much as I loved gaming when I was a kid. I'm liking modern gaming more and more. I just played mega man x on my 3DS at work last night. I got thru the 8 bosses while only losing 1 life. Gonna pound thru the rest tonight. I don't like all the patches these days but it is what it is unfortunately. Only thing I don't like is loot boxes I'm or day 1 DLC. I have no issues paying for DLC if it's done right

ryder4life 8

Custom Title: Gamecube Preserver

Postby mrpink999 » Wed May 09, 2018 4:27 am

The era of gaming I grew up in was mystifying, Atari 2600's were new...
Arcades had flashing lights and chicks thought they were cool..

Miss the actual gaming..NO
Started with a box of carts I saved my own money to buy, bored as hell..

Then got my first computer, still took carts, had a tape player, nuff said.
(Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, whuchoo whuchoo whuchoo whuchoo zerp zerp dweep Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep wuchoo wuchoo wuchoo wuchoo........for an hour, only to have 0 files found, no worries tho, ur backup is a 20 page dot matrix printout of 10,000 lines of basic u can type in if the tape fails....>enter last line... hit enter> system freeze
( total madness lol)

Then better games with more substance finally came along, spent two weeks figuring out leisure suit larry, then spent $200 on compuserve getting the cheats, shit was like $5 a minute for a text page
Spent another week trying to screw everything on the screen and so forth......
After the ST I was burned and did not game at all until early 2000..

Todays gaming is so simple....
Emulators run on toasters now, consoles emulate consoles, we have the net..
Not looking for mega drivers to run dif crap, def. not spending a small fortune anymore, and the graphics look good today, even in 1982 we said WTF!!!
I have TB's+++ of games now, its disgusting:D

mrpink999 Moderator

Custom Title: https://retrozone.co

Postby CRACKERMAN » Wed May 09, 2018 7:12 am

No, as I've recently gone full retro. My OG Xbox (running emulators) & my dreamcast take pride of place on my TV unit, for mobile retro my PSP does the job. My PS3 is now a music, film jukebox & my 360's are book stops.

CRACKERMAN 2

Postby HaloSlayer255 » Wed May 09, 2018 9:27 pm

Gotta say I miss the old ways. That for me would be being a kid in the 90s. Arcade games we're still around like Pac-Man or Pole Position. The kind of simulations where you are driving a lookalike vehicle in real life and it responds to how you turn in real life like on motorbikes. Or good old fashioned arcades where complete strangers could have a few drinks or shakes , socialize and have a good time.

Same thing with the touch screen games found in clubs and bars. My mom used to work as a bartender before I was born and she played the heck out of Pac-Man. I saw the movie Pixels a few weeks ago, at the beginning they are all haveing fun, cheering the players on etc. Those are the times and memories I wish we had more of.

I'll probably be old and senile at the age of 80 plus years old, saying things like "Well kids back in my day this is what we did for fun (shows them the PS1), if you wanted to talk to friends you went to an arcade or you had a group come over and everyone participated in a tournament. Then LAN gaming was a precursor to online gaming, you could have multiple computers in the same room all playing the same game."

I can actually see myself saying that and rambling on :lol:

HaloSlayer255

HaloSlayer255 4

Custom Title: Corvette Lover

Postby UnholyArceus » Sun May 13, 2018 2:12 pm

my era was NES era snes era all the way to the N64 era.

i got rage in Real Life!!
UnholyArceus 13

Postby MuntyJay » Wed May 16, 2018 1:33 pm

I too miss the old days straight out fun. Now we have is just politics, complaints, updates, and it also comes down to $$$. Were is the true fun.

MuntyJay 3

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat