Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

buying my first used PS4 need help

buying my first used PS4 need help

Postby dreamcast459 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:51 am

mom wants to buy me a cheap used sony playstation 4. out of all of the retro consoles i own, outside of my core io7 RX470 desktop gaming pc i do not own a current gen console. so for my birthday my mom has decided she wants to buy me a used PS4 since used ones are cheaper than new ones, but before she buys one for me i need some questions answered.

#1: what do i need to know or look for before buying a PS4 be it new or used
#2: what mode and what HDD capacity should i look for
#3: outside of the PS3 HD remakes what games should she buy

im into sci-fi FPS third person anything but strategy and RTS

sucessfull trade with ware-wolf my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/4599kane/videos
MMO's that i play star trek online and shot online

systems i own
dreamcast
saturn chip modded
N64
sega game gear
orig-xbox
xbox360
dreamcast459 13

Re: buying my first used PS4 need help

Postby XamX » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:44 am

#1 - actually nothing, since you have a modern gaming PC you don't need the PS4 Pro. A standard PS4 is all you need to play the Sony exclusives you can't play on PC.

#2 - I'd say it doesn't matter at all because you can change the HDD to the size you want. I actually don't know a single person that hasn't replaced the PS3's or PS4's HDD to a 1TB HDD.

#3 - The Witcher 3 (if you don't have it on PC already), Bloodbourne, Uncharted 4, Persona 5 (if you like JRPGs), DOOM (4) (* see Witcher 3), BioShock: The Collection (* see Witcher 3), Dark Souls 3 (* see Witcher 3), Nioh, Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami, Wipeout Omega Collection

- and a very special tip: Farpoint
It's a PlayStation VR title so you'd need to buy that too (it's expensive though), but Farpoint that comes with a plastic gun, is one of the best VR experiences (right after racing games in VR) because the gun adds so much to the fun. You are probably not interested in buying PS VR but I just wanted to mention it here.

XamX 4

Postby dreamcast459 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:57 am

thanks i have doom 4 on the pc the only reason i want a ps4 outside of the exclusives is #1 so i can stream on twitch and #2 because all the other retro consoles i want are to expensive

sucessfull trade with ware-wolf my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/4599kane/videos

systems i own
dreamcast
saturn chip modded
N64
sega game gear
orig-xbox
xbox360
dreamcast459 13

Postby XamX » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:02 am

Ok, now I sound super rude, I know - but you lost me at "streaming on Twitch"

:cry: :mrgreen:

XamX 4

Postby dreamcast459 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:05 am

the ps4 can twitch stream ie people can go on twitch and watch you play the game and you can talk to them in chat n stuff similar to youtube gaming

systems i own
dreamcast
saturn chip modded
N64
sega game gear
orig-xbox
xbox360
dreamcast459 13

Postby XamX » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:06 am

I know what Twitch is, I meant that in an other way ;)

XamX 4

Postby schmupluvr » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:10 am

imho- Try to stay away (if possible) from the very first gen PS4. The one with the left half that is shiny. Not saying they all fail, but mine did and apparently a decent amount as well. 13 months old-I was so mad, one month out of warranty. Mine had the classic heat issue with the APU (cpu+gpu). I paid the fee and sent it back to Sony and expected a repair but instead they sent me another one all together. If you do buy a shiny top one then don't be foolish and spend much at all on it.

You will love PS4. It has over 60 exclusive games-most of all the current gen consoles by a mile.
Xbox1 only has 13. Simply pathetic. (I actually like Sunset Overdrive but I can't bring myself to buy a system for just one game out of the 13.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... only_games

Fun Fact:
If not for Coleco having bundled Donkey Kong and then Nintendo noticing the success, there would be no Famicom/NES/SNES/Etc,Etc.....I.E.-videogames as we know them today.

Spoiler:
PSTV Henkaku Enso, 2TB ext hdd, dualshock 4
TSOP Xbox/CoinOPS/Ninja
Colecovision w/SD
Sega-any
TG-16
NES
PS3 CECHA01
PS4 w/1TB sshd
Wii loaded
schmupluvr 5

Custom Title: Colecovision O.G./Grey Jedi

Postby MasterOfAll » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:27 am

Using a spoiler, because I ended up typing a fair bit...

Spoiler:
#1 After owning a PS4 1st gen and then getting a PS4 Pro. If you can afford a Pro, get a Pro. The stock PS4, suffers from lag on lots of games. If you must though, don't get a 1st. A lot of them, suffer from loud media drives, especially over time, and there's no real fix.

#2 It doesn't really matter. If you're going to get PSN, (Which I have to say, the PS4, is pretty crap without. So that's a monthly fee to think about) a 1TB or a 2TB is needed to keep up with all the "free" games, and any other games you buy for data download instead from disc. Otherwise a 500GB will do. Either way, you'll want to upgrade it to a SSHD, because it's a real pain watching textures load, or waiting for a level to load again, because you've just died.

It's possible to store games on an external USB HDD anyways, if you decide to upgrade later. They brought that in with a firmware upgrade some time back now.

#3 That's just down to personal taste for games. Uncharted is good if you like Tomb Raider like game play.

I really don't want to come across as rude, but it sounds like you don't have a lot of cash kicking about. Which is fine, but I'm a strong believer of living within your means.

I feel the PS4 is pretty much a door stop unless you have PSN. You miss out on online game play. If your HDD dies, and you haven't kept backups of your game saves, you'll loose the lot.
So, if you take on PSN, it's a monthly fee you have to think about if you're not already paying for it. Sure you get "free" games, most of them are crappy indie games, or that after awhile, you've already bought yourself anyways. For the last two months, the last major games, they've "given away", I've already played through months/years before or I already own and got bored.

As for Twitch, to show off your gaming skills. I'd recommend instead of getting a PS4, get an Elgato HD60 Pro or at least a HD60 S and stream your PC gaming.

The PS4 internal streaming, is pretty rubbish, compared to dedicated device. That's partly why I own an Elgato Pro and HD. The PS4's own streaming, means it's taking away from computing your game. Granted it's good, but it's not great.

MasterOfAll Moderator

Postby ryder4life » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:16 pm

schmupluvr wrote:imho- Try to stay away (if possible) from the very first gen PS4. The one with the left half that is shiny. Not saying they all fail, but mine did and apparently a decent amount as well. 13 months old-I was so mad, one month out of warranty. Mine had the classic heat issue with the APU (cpu+gpu). I paid the fee and sent it back to Sony and expected a repair but instead they sent me another one all together. If you do buy a shiny top one then don't be foolish and spend much at all on it.

You will love PS4. It has over 60 exclusive games-most of all the current gen consoles by a mile.
Xbox1 only has 13. Simply pathetic. (I actually like Sunset Overdrive but I can't bring myself to buy a system for just one game out of the 13.)

There's nothing wrong with the launch ps4s. I've had mine since 4 months after launch and haven't had a single issue with it. Upgraded it to 2TB aND it works flawless. But I did take it apart and clean all the dust that was trapped on the inside. Use to run the fan like crazy until I cleaned the fan and power supply out. Did you ever take yours apart and clean it

ryder4life 8

Custom Title: Gamecube Preserver

Postby schmupluvr » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:21 pm

@Ryder - I wasn't implying that all the launch models will fail. Many did and I would not pay over $100 for one and it would need to look barely having been used.

As I mentioned, it failed at 13 months. Sony has the repair program that you pay $ (it was close to $200 back then), you mail it back and then they either fix it or in my case they sent me an entirely different one.
I have no idea the number of launch failures but I did spend a lot of time reading and searching my options. I can say for sure I was far from the only one with a dead CUH-1001A.

You asked if I cleaned it?
Also as I mentioned, it happened at 13 months. I had high hopes that Sony would take care of the problem that soon out of warranty. No I did not open the console.

Fun Fact:
If not for Coleco having bundled Donkey Kong and then Nintendo noticing the success, there would be no Famicom/NES/SNES/Etc,Etc.....I.E.-videogames as we know them today.

Spoiler:
PSTV Henkaku Enso, 2TB ext hdd, dualshock 4
TSOP Xbox/CoinOPS/Ninja
Colecovision w/SD
Sega-any
TG-16
NES
PS3 CECHA01
PS4 w/1TB sshd
Wii loaded
schmupluvr 5

Custom Title: Colecovision O.G./Grey Jedi

Postby UnholyArceus » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:04 pm

hate how the streaming for twitch is blocked for a bunch of games. like persona 5 hatsune miku and other games it's copy right bull shit. and it PISSES me off. if your going release it and not have it allow it to be streamed then why the fuck have that option there. stupid fuck tards. ok my rant is done.

my little drug Buddy.
UnholyArceus 9

Custom Title: smoking heroin day by day to I DIE!!

Postby nornor1 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:49 pm

like others have said you dont need the Pro unless you get a good deal on it and have a 4K TV. it does make 1080p stuff run better too though. try to find the new slim ps4 used. I have noticed that a lot of PS4 games Drop in price pretty quickly. so dont go out and buy new games, unless you really love it. if you have amazon prime you can get new games for like $48 bucks if you pre order them. I Think Best Buy has a similar program.

Side note, I might have an Xbox One S 2tb for sale shortly :) ill probably put it in the market.

what other retro consoles are you looking for? you can get a raspberry pi, and emulate almost everything. so can your PC. you can buy controller adapters for pretty much any controller, or they make USB replicas of almost every controller too.

im all about playing it the way it was supposed to be played, but when money is tight, I would not count out emulation. Ive almost thought about selling all my retro consoles that are 100% perfectly emulated, and just keeping the ones that are not. Almost lol.

I used to be a small collector, but now I just Everdrive everything, or use backup media. never looking back :)

I just collect the games I want now for PS3/Ps4 and X360/Xbone.

Systems I own:
Spoiler:
2 DC's white & black 1 GDEMU
N64 Rgb Mod- w/ED64
PSONE w/screen- Chipped
PS2 Phat & Slim(w/Joytech LCD) both Chipped
Ps3 2x SS
Ps4
Xbox OG-Tsop flashed 120gb HDD
X360 & slim version- Ixtreme
XbOne s
Sega Saturn - Chipped