Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Should you turn your PC off every night?

for 1337 h4x0rz only

Should you turn your PC off every night?

Postby MasterOfAll » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:57 am

I've lifted this from eBaum's world. It was linked to me by a customer. Though, I think they should have said, "decades" not, "centuries".

Spoiler:
So, you're done with your PC for the day. You're ready to hop out of your chair and watch some Netflix in your living room. Do you shut down your PC, or just let it keep running?

This is a question that has confounded humanity for centuries.

To get to the bottom of this, user INTERLINKED on Reddit e-mailed eight hardware manufacturers, from Samsung to MSI. These computer wizards have a variety of angles on this life-altering matter.

ADATA

Dear customer Thanks for supporting ADATA product. It won't impact the normal use. Best Regards, ADATA Technology

ASUS

Thank you for contacting Asus, my name is Paul and I will try my best to assist you with your situation. Unfortunately you have not mentioned what ASUS product this is about. However generally speaking, it's best to simply turn off the computer when you are not using it.

Crucial

Thanks for your email. I am afraid this isn't something that we can answer and being honest there are pro's and con's for each scenario. It has also not been scientifically proven either way. If you have a look around through the link below you will be able to see what others advise for this scenario: link.

EVGA

Other than fans and mechanical drives either way will not have an appreciable impact on the lifespan of the components during an average upgrade cycle. The fans and hard drives may ware out faster if left on 24/7 however unless it is a dusty environment the fans may outlast the system. Please note that sometimes windows and power supplies may become unstable after very long periods of up-time so it is best to turn off the system from time to time. Regards, EVGA

MSI

Thanks for contacting MSI technical support. Regarding your concern, if you don't need to use it for weeks/months, you can shut down it when you don't use it. Thanks! Thanks for your cooperation in advance! Best Regards, MSI Technical Support Team

Nvidia

Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer care. My name is Imran and I will be assisting you in the query that you have. From the email description, I understand that you want to check regarding the shutting down of the system. Please be assured that I will do my best to help you further or point you in the right direction. Shutting down the system would not affect the system components. It is always advisable to shut down the system when not in use as this would increase the life of the system Best regards, Imran NVIDIA Customer Care

Samsung #1

Thank you for contacting Samsung. With reference to your email, I understand that you'd like to know if shutting down your PC every night would wear out the components faster when compared to the PC left ON for weeks. I'll be glad in helping you with the required information. If you use your computer multiple times per day, it’s best to leave it on. If you use it for a short time - say an hour or two - just once a day, or even less, then turn it off during nights and you can turn it on during the mornings or next use. Hope the above provided information would be helpful. Kind regards, Aravind B Email Support SAMSUNG Customer Support Center

Samsung #2

Thank you for contacting Samsung Support regarding your concerns and inquiries. We apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing you. powering off the system would help the drive last longer overall. Thank you for contacting Samsung and have a good day! IE

Seagate

Thank you for contacting Seagate Support. I understand that you would like to know if shutting down your computer daily causes more wear. I apologize that this information is not more readily available to you. I will be happy to assist you. Shutting down a computer does not cause more wear on a drive. If this inquiry concerns an internal drive in the computer, it will most likely help the drive last longer as internal drives are typically certified to work so many 'power on' hours. These are typically based on the general five days a week, eight hours a day. Regards, Heather Seagate Support

It looks like to me, that most of those answers were made up on the spot by who ever answered, and not company policy.

I go along with what Crucial, EVGA and Samsung #1 said myself.

Personally for my main PC, I tend to leave my PC on 24/7. I'm either using it, or it's doing something, most of the time. I only really turn it off, if I'm going away on holiday or there's a pretty bad storm overhead.

My HTPC on the other hand, gets turned on for the day, and turned off at night.

For really old PCs (XT / AT beasts), I'd say there was an argument to leave them on 24/7. There wasn't the kind of circuit protection fanciness there is these days. The mere fact of the power surging through the circuit, was enough to blow fuses etc. Hell, static electricity was even more of a worry back then, than it is now.

I kinda wondered what you lot do? Laptops don't really count for this question! :)

:lovetiz:

MasterOfAll Moderator

Re: Should you turn your PC off every night?

Postby sasapinjic » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:27 am

I alwais turn off my 2010 xp3 PC over night, when i will not use it any more for rest of Day, or during lighting storms close by.
Little for saving PC, but more to save on Bill for Electric power.
It powers up preaty fast anyway, its not like i will loose something if i wait 2-3 minutes for system to get ready.

sasapinjic 13

Custom Title: Gafgarion(LightningBoltScumbag)

Postby Biggsy666 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:28 am

I have a couple of laptops now but when i previously had PC's i always turned them off at night and when not in use during the day. I had no idea i should even consider leaving one on all the time.

My Systems
Spoiler:
Acorn Electron
CPC464
C64
ZX Spectrum +2
Atari 2600
NES & Famicom w/ FDS
SNES & Super Famicom
N64 1 x PAL, 1 x NTSC-J
Gamecube x2 Xeno
Wii x2 softmod
Master System
Mega Drive MKI RGB w/switches & MKII
Saturn
Dreamcast
PS1 Audiophile, 3 chipped & 1 slim w/screen
PS2 1 fat silver with FMCB/120gb HDD & 1 slim w/screen
PS3 1 fat, 1 slim
Xbox (soft mod 200gb & 1 Crystal hard mod 120gb)
Xbox 360
PSP x2 CFW
GameGear
Wonderswan
N-Gage & N-Gage QD
Gameboy, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, 2x GB Macro
Nintendo DS, DSL, DSi & 3DS

My custom Console Projects
Biggsy666 9

Postby mmxii » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:55 am

I hardly ever turn my PCs off.

I don't see the need.

mmxii 4

Custom Title: Sgt. Moron

Postby OldReckless » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:02 pm

Yup. I think it's why my 2011 PC - the only one I have - still runs like it's new. Of course, running a cleaner every night, defragging it every fortnight, and running virus scans every week probably has something to do with the PC's longevity, too.

Praise Kek!

Spoiler:
Did I say you could open this spoiler, you fiend? The temerity.
OldReckless 3

Location: I'm outside your home. Watching. Waiting. Mas..ticating...
Custom Title: Cats beware!

Postby ZX81v2 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:26 pm

IF Your PC don't ...

a. Overheat
b. Random crash n burn
c. Not a Laptop !

Go for it. I used to leave my main quadcore on 24/7. Just make sure you have good Circuit BREAKERS on the plug sockets - Just in case !

PC's are designed to be left on (Well the good ones are)
Components don't like content power up power down.
As long as your PC temps are normal, your fine. If you start generating more heat over longer time up then add another fan !

Back in the day I used to have emule connected as a server....24/7 up/download

Even better, make yourself a little private SERVER that's 24/7

PS2 (Phat) + Network Adapter + SATA Bridge + 2TB HDD = Insanity+1 !
Wanna Know More > theisozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=49420&hilit=+sata

FreeMCBoot Installer - OPL 0.8/9 + HDL0.8c
Game Compatibility Checker. WinHIIP User
ZX81v2's MAME/ARCADE Thread Here
FreeMCBoot Install Service "UK" Thread HERE
MY PS2 OPL 0.8 HDD Game Compatibility List Click Here 100% Safe

Latest MESS/MAME Roms : Retroroms.info < NEW SITE !

ImageImageImageImage

If you are/WERE a PS2 Developer please check PS2Home out !
Designed & (C)2013-2017 by ZX81v2
ZX81v2 Moderator

Custom Title: R Tape Loading Err0r

Postby HisDivineShadow » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:43 pm

What constitutes being off?

Logged off? Shutdown? Shutdown/Disconnected? Hibernate? Standby?

For instance if you shutdown but don't power off ie. switch the PSU or the mains off there is still power running through a desktop. Your router will still show it is connected to the PC if you're using cable until you actually power down. USB flash drives LEDs can show evidence there is some residual current in the system too which takes time to dissipate even after power down.

During the day I tend to Hibernate my desktop if I'm in the middle of doing something and get called away. But TBH apart from saving the work the actual speed difference between restarting from Hibernation or Standby and cold booting is minimal if your system uses a SSD.

So for that reason I just as often turn the thing off completely and I do that at the end of the day too. Habit I guess but if you've ever suffered an overnight power surge and woken up to damaged or malfunctioning equipment that was on as a result you'd act the same way too. I lost a microwave and a gas boiler electrical timer in just such circumstances.

Power surges, lighting strikes etc can happen any time but by turning the equipment off/disconnecting it from the mains when you're not actually using it you're reducing the percentage chances of that happening.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby ZX81v2 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:51 pm

Habit I guess but if you've ever suffered an overnight power surge and woken up to damaged or malfunctioning equipment that was on as a result you'd act the same way too. I lost a microwave and a gas boiler electrical timer in just such circumstances.

Power surges, lighting strikes etc can happen any time but by turning the equipment off/disconnecting it from the mains when you're not actually using it you're reducing the percentage chances of that happening.

This is why I said CIRCUIT BREAKERS in last post. Shit happens when your not observing....
My quadcore was wiped out by a lightning strike, local, not direct... I didn't use surge protectors... I do nowdays....

PS2 (Phat) + Network Adapter + SATA Bridge + 2TB HDD = Insanity+1 !
Wanna Know More > theisozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=49420&hilit=+sata

FreeMCBoot Installer - OPL 0.8/9 + HDL0.8c
Game Compatibility Checker. WinHIIP User
ZX81v2's MAME/ARCADE Thread Here
FreeMCBoot Install Service "UK" Thread HERE
MY PS2 OPL 0.8 HDD Game Compatibility List Click Here 100% Safe

Latest MESS/MAME Roms : Retroroms.info < NEW SITE !

ImageImageImageImage

If you are/WERE a PS2 Developer please check PS2Home out !
Designed & (C)2013-2017 by ZX81v2
ZX81v2 Moderator

Custom Title: R Tape Loading Err0r

Postby HisDivineShadow » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:41 pm

I have correct value fuses (of course), circuit breakers and power surge protection on most of my most sensitive equipment like the PC its connected devices and game consoles.

But unless it is built in to the home's electrical system or practical to use a protected multi-socket device it can get expensive if you're going to try to protect everything. Just think how many electrical appliances you have that are on 24/7 or simply connected and multiply that by about £10/$14/device.

Fridge freezer, boiler/timer, cooker, other kitchen equipment, router, TV equipment, games consoles, lighting, things on recharge, security systems and lighting, garage door, even mains powered door chimes etc etc. It soon adds up.

If it can be unplugged without issue then that is the best protection and most appropriate when its equipment that is not needed 24/7 and a PC isn't.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby Sageowl » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:09 pm

I used to leave my old Dell on for months at a time, but eventually the ball bearings in my GPU (Ati 9600xt at the time) started grinding like crazy and needed oil. I oiled them and post that started turning it off at night. I also have my PC in my bedroom so having the sound of fans and all that at night is a bit bothersome.
Also electric bill. Plenty of other shit in this house is on 24/7, so why bother with my PC.

Consoles, handhelds, mods
Spoiler:
Atari 2600
Atari 7800 composite mod
NES
Famicom
AV Famicom RGB modded
SNES
SNES Mini RGB mod
Genesis
PC Engine Duo-R RGB modded
Saturn chipped
PS1 chipped
Nintendo 64 UltraHDMI
PS2 Fat FHDB
GC XenoGC
Xbox 360 Dual Nand RGH
PS3
Wii
Wii-U
Gameboy bivert backlight
GB Pocket
GB Light
GB Color
GB Advance Backlight mod
GB SP AGS-001 4x overclock switch
GB SP AGS-101
GB Micro
DS
Dslite
3DSXL
new 3DSXL
Japanese new 3DS
PSP CFW
PS Vita 3.60 HENkaku
Neo Geo Pocket Color
Wonderswan Color Frontlight mod
And the fucking R-Zone
Sageowl 3

Postby 6gunn » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:31 pm

Leaving a PC or laptop on 24/7 means everything is working and wear is being generated to crucial parts like constantly spinning hard drives and case fans, power supplies, video card fans, and LCD/ CRT monitors.
I have experienced failures of that sort on some of the many desktops I have owned or built.
(3 LCD monitors, a half dozen or so video cards, 7 hard drives, 4 power supplies, innumerable case fans.
Some due to power surges, I'm sure, but I've had hard drives crap out while I was using the PC and NOT due to age or a power failure.
Some components seem to last forever.
One WD500 GB hard drive lasted less than a week.
Good thing I learned a long time ago to backup my data.

6gunn 6

Custom Title: catwacker

Postby mistamontiel » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:27 pm

I was doing the shut down shit n my primary drive almost died BIOS said somethin like 'hard drive failure data loss is imminent!'

And doggg slow , so lucky she snapped out of it though . Then after hurricane I had no electricity for a week and my crib was a toaster . Come back to er and no problem run 24/7

mistamontiel 6

Custom Title: ..!!

Postby rodion » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:43 pm

I shut it down and turn off the switch on the power cable. If it is raining and could be a storm coming I pull the cable out of the plug.

rodion 4

Postby MisterXiado » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:54 pm

From a physics standpoint, it's best to leave the system running constantly. Incandescent light bulb filaments would break when the stress of being heated and cooled constantly, eventually caused the stress fractures in the filament to break through. This is why light bulbs would blow out while being switched on. Economically, it's best to power it off. Why use electricity to do nothing but passively heat up the room? Unless that's your goal. If you split the difference, it's better to only power the system off when it's not going to be used for a long while. Perhaps more than a day.

The Homepage of the Oldternet - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
MisterXiado 3

Postby ryder4life » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:57 pm

I leave it on 24/7. I use it as a seever fir my ps4 on my tv.

ryder4life 8

Custom Title: Gamecube Preserver

Postby CurbsidePharmacist » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:33 pm

PCs been on and running since 2010.
Clean your fans btw and don't smoke around them lol.

Free memory card exploit service PS2/Xbox U.S. Only

Simple questions answered here
If you need to ask a question search the forums first here

Read the rules.
Theisozone Upload Rules

Follow me on Twitter!! https://twitter.com/CurbsideRX
CurbsidePharmacist 13

Custom Title: Admin #2

Postby schmupluvr » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:12 pm

I like the idea of checking for updates when you power back on each time, with security these days and all. Besides giving money for nothing to the power company isn't anything I care to do. That $ could be used for so many other good things instead.
Even if I were rich I'd have a moral delima with leaving things on watching/playing themselves.

Fun Fact:
If not for Coleco having bundled Donkey Kong and then Nintendo noticing the success, there would be no Famicom/NES/SNES/Etc,Etc.....I.E.-videogames as we know them today.

Spoiler:
PSTV Henkaku Enso, 2TB ext hdd, dualshock 4
TSOP Xbox/CoinOPS/Ninja
Colecovision w/SD
Sega-any
TG-16
NES
PS3 CECHA01
PS4 w/1TB sshd
Wii loaded
schmupluvr 5

Custom Title: Colecovision O.G./Grey Jedi

Postby Aameiel » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:49 pm

I only turn mine off if there is a storm or if i'm going away for vacation other wise I always leave it on and just sleep it.

Aameiel 2

Postby FlarePhoenix » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:40 pm

My computers are shut off and unplugged (well master power switch on my connecter aka no power) when I'm not using it, or not converting vids to 480....720 or higher won't run on my old computer.

FlarePhoenix 8

Postby Silverfrost208 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:04 pm

The only time I keep my pc on at night is when:

-I am downloading something
-Stream old commercials from youtube to play on my tv when I sleep
-Listening to this vaporwave internet radio station https://plaza.one

Consoles I own:
SNES
Sega Genesis
PS1
Gameboy Color & Advance SP
Nintendo Gamecube
PlayStation 2 (SCPH-50001 With Free Mcboot 1.95)
Xbox (Softmodded)
Nintendo DS Original, Lite, DSi, & DSi XL
Wii (Softmodded)
Xbox 360
Sega Saturn
Dreamcast
Wii U
PlayStation 3 (Slim & Super Slim)
Nintendo 64
Nintendo 3DS XL (Pokemon XY Blue Limited Edition System)
Xbox One
Playstation 4 Pro
Nintendo Switch
Silverfrost208 4

Next

Return to Geek Chat