Verbatim "Photo CD-R" discs (good TG-CD media?)

for 1337 h4x0rz only

Verbatim "Photo CD-R" discs (good TG-CD media?)

Postby CZroe » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:19 am

I'm no n00b to this stuff. I know what a Kodak Photo CD is. I know about the scam that is (was?) "Music CD-R" discs (standard CD-R w/a RIAA royalty; even for burning your own music!). That said, I'm confused by these "Verbatim Photo CD-R" discs here.

Can't embed:

I needed some good CD-Rs for testing a TurboGrafx-CD I repaired. It seemed to work fine with pressed discs and junk CD-Rs except for one level of one game that had trouble loading most times. After one such failure on 15 year-old HP CD-Rs, it stopped reading all discs (even pressed) until I spent a couple more hours tweaking. Ugh. I had already planned to buy good media to see if that would fix the issue with that level but it looks like my bad media may already be burning out the new laser or something.

I no longer know where the good deals are on genuine Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim AZO discs are, and I figure I should just buy a couple guaranteed-genuine discs for testing before ordering a stack anyway. I checked Fry's Electronics and Microcenter and almost gave up before finding some old stock of Verbatim "Photo CD-R" discs with AZO dye.

It was a small pack of 10 fully-cased discs for $7, but I paid it anyway because I knew they were genuine and would do fine for testing... but what's with this "Photo CD-R" thing? I googled and it doesn't look like anyone even pretends that this is a thing. It doesn't seem to be related to Kodak Photo CD at all, or the later "Picture CD" standard. It was right next to the scammy Music CD-Rs but, unlike those, the packaging doesn't even claim that they are different or better-suited for the particular use hinted at by the name. Weird.

There was never some product that refused to work without special "Photo CD-R" discs, right? I accept that they are probably just regular AZO Verbatim CD-Rs with a deceptive product name, but I'm still curious because, at the very least, they should be saying something like "Ideal for storing and retrieving photos!" or something. Makes me wonder if there was some last-ditch effort to market DIY Kodak Photo CDs before the format was dropped (these discs really could be that old). FWIW, these are full 12cm discs and not 8cm like the ones intended for Sony Mavica digital cameras and the like.

CZroe Newbie

Re: Verbatim "Photo CD-R" discs (good TG-CD media?)

Postby Gamerone » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:43 am

Any Verbatim cd-r should work, burning a CD fast can kill your laser, burning to slow can over burn. Burn at 4x 5x or 6x should work.

MARIO'S DREAM GIRL :question: :mario:
Gamerone 5

Postby iinstantadd » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:31 am

I think verbatim media is good.

iinstantadd Newbie

Postby Randummy1 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:07 am

Very quick Google search........................................................

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... sc_10.html
These cd-r's are for photo and film media, not for games.

Get Verbatim or any reputable regular cd-r's and you should be good to go. ;)

EDIT........... You like Fry's and Microcenter too?!? I like you already!! :D 8-)

Oh yeah, welcome to TIZ!! :welcome: :welcome: Here, have some pizza!! :D :D :pizza: :pizza:

Successfully traded with Vga for PS2 Softmod Kit.
Randummy1 5
Custom Title: Dinosaur farting dust bunnies :)

Postby changospank » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:08 am

It depends. i have a bunch of ps1 and psones that I mess around with.i have tested many over the years. TDK, maxell, memorex,verbatim, optimum, GQ, fujifilm

Great: Fujifilm, Maxell, TDK

GOOD: Verbatim,memorex,

awful: GQ brand discs

but that's just my personal experience. and I burn most games at x8 speeds with no problem.

psx unmodded- could never get the flashing right on my chips
ps2 slim-fmcb
wii softmodded plays wii and gamecube games
xbox 360 slim unmodded-
xbox classic tsop 160 gb xbmc.
xeno gc chipped gamecube x3.
black no component output.
changospank 4

Postby Biggsy666 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:05 am

I found just about any old CD-R will work, even £1 shop ones i have purchased just to give a try but the cheap ones don't seem to be as reliable for as long and so i now stick to Maxell as they work really well with the main machine i use to burn discs. Also the speed works best for CDs higher for me with this setup than most report, ps1 i usually burn at x12 and dc/saturn x10 (don't know why but i get some skipping when i burn at the lowest speeds).

My Systems
Acorn Electron
ZX Spectrum +2
Atari 2600
NES & Famicom w/ FDS
SNES & Super Famicom
N64 1 x PAL, 1 x NTSC-J
Gamecube x2 Xeno
Wii x2 softmod
Master System
Mega Drive MKI RGB w/switches & MKII
PS1 Audiophile, 3 chipped & 1 slim w/screen
PS2 1 fat silver with FMCB/120gb HDD & 1 slim w/screen
PS3 1 fat, 1 slim
Xbox (soft mod 200gb & 1 Crystal hard mod 120gb)
Xbox 360
N-Gage & N-Gage QD
Gameboy, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, 2x GB Macro
Nintendo DS, DSL, DSi & 3DS

My custom Console Projects
Biggsy666 13
Custom Title: The Reverend

Postby raika » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:47 pm

got a hundred cds for my pc engine duo: I bought either verbatim cd-r or sony cd-r.
It works fine with most games, a few have lagging music.
I only kept an orginial copy of lords/winds of thunder. this one works fine.
I think the lense of the duo needs changing. that's the problem when playing too many burnt games. (the same happened with my ps1)

Disappear here.Image
Proud owner of :
A modded ( rgb stereo / US/EU) Nintendo NES (europe)
A modded (rgb) PC Engine Duo (japan)
A modded ( 9-pins rgb) pc engine 1
A modded ( US/JP/EU)dreamcast ( japan)
A dreamcast ( europe)
A PC engine GT (jp)
A Modded (US, EU, JP) saturn
A saturn (europe)
A modded Sega megadrive ( US, EU, JP)
A PS one ( europe)
A modded ( 50/60 hertz JP/US/EU) snes
A super famicom
A gamecube ( europe)
A nintendo 64 ( europe)
A gameboy Advanced ( europe)
raika 4
Custom Title: Buy R4 on DC

Postby Sabkahn » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:07 pm

From my experience with PS1, PS2, XBox, Dreamcast , CD-Player / Car Head Units and several DVD / HD-DVD Players I had over the years: The brand and for the most part the burning speed don´t matter. I burn all my games and max Speed and I have yet to encounter a problem or issue caused by the high burning speed. The low burning speed thing is a relic from the past when burners and their Software where still in the earlier days.

It doesn´t matter if they advertise it as a "Photo CD-R" or a "Music CD-R", the media you burn doesn´t care what disc you have. It´s all just bollocks to sell you more expensive discs because your precious photos are better protected on them for some reason. And Photography Snobs will buy everything as long as it´s expensive enough and marketed especialy and just for Photography.

Burned CD´s and DVD´s are the most fragile optical media you can have, you have much more companies selling blank media than you have factories actually producing them.

Kodak Photo CD BTW is a old, propriatery format that has nothing to do with these so called "Photo CD-R"´s

Sabkahn 4

Postby The_Chojin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:36 pm

I have used these, they are great on my turboduo, I burn at 8x... because that is the slowest speed my drive will allow :lol:

The oldest and strongest emotion is fear, and fear of the unknown is the strongest fear.
The_Chojin 2
Custom Title: look at my tentacles

Return to Geek Chat