Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

PS1 issues: Possibly not a laser issue?

If you're having hardware, software or emulation issues with your PlayStation, ask our experts here!

PS1 issues: Possibly not a laser issue?

Postby UndercoverGravy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:41 pm

I have a SCPH-1001 (US) PS1 that's having trouble reading Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2. The music skips in the Sound Levels menu in the Options menu. The game also doesn't start at all when I try to play Single Session mode. The screen stays like this (note the red square on the top right):

The game seems to work perfectly fine on my fat US PS2, so I doubt it's a problem with the game disc itself. I've had this problem for a while, so about a year and a half ago I replaced the laser assembly with one I got from Amazon. I kept having the same problem even with the new laser assembly, so it could be either how the laser is configured or it's a problem with something other than the laser. I will try some of my other PS1 games to see if those have the same problem.

Thanks!

Consoles owned (all stock unless noted otherwise with a * statement):
Spoiler:
NES (Front-loading) *10-NES disabled
Genesis (Model 2)
SNES *Two plastic tabs removed for playing JP (SFC) games
Saturn Model 1 *Laser replaced, still not working
Saturn Model 2 *Universal V3 mod chip
PlayStation
N64
Dreamcast
PS2 (Fat, SCPH-39001)
PS2 (Slim, SCPH-70012)
GameCube
PS3 (Super Slim)
UndercoverGravy 2

Re: PS1 issues: Possibly not a laser issue?

Postby acr250rider » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:48 pm

Sounds like a laser problem. You could try to clean and adjust it. Also they're not that expensive anymore. By that standard, buying a already chipped one isn't really that expensive anymore.

Spoiler:
Systems owned:
(2) Nintendo
(3) Sega Genesis/ (1) Cd /32X
(2) Super Nintendo
(2) Nintendo 64
(2) Sony PS1 1 REGULAR / 1 Chipped
(2) Soft Modded PS2 Phat
Dreamcast
Panasonic 3do
(4) soft modded Original Xbox
Pokémon Gale of Darkness Gamecube W/GBA Player.
(2) Xbox 360 1 Slim/1 Phat
(2) Ps3`s one jailbroken one not.
(2) Soft modded Wii
(2) PS4
Xbox one
(2) Wii U
Saturn (running Pseudo).
Sony PSP 6.20 Pro-B9 permanent .
acr250rider 7

Custom Title: Its all good Bro, Lets just play some games!

Postby rawman024 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:03 am

My guess its either sticky rails, bad ribbon cable, or dash-pot needs adjusting on the laser. Try cleaning off the rails and lube them up with graphite not oil or grease because they can gum it up. Check the ribbon cable for any sign of cracking or wear. If that fails try cleaning lens if that fails you may need to adjust the dash-pot. If you have a volt/ohm meter use that and adjust the ohms down 25-50 and try that, you can google adjusting dash-pot with ohm meter to see how to use it.If you don't have the meter only turn it a tiny tiny bit i.e. if you see it move try it. If all that fails i'm not sure what the problem could be if game works on other console.

My systems
Spoiler:
PC: amd-fx 8370 with 2 rx-480 radeon graphics cards
orig xbox softmodded with 2 tb hdd replaced clock capacitor with battery (built several for family members)
ps2 slim
2x ps2 phat with free hdboot 1 sata 1 pata (built several for family members)
ps1
ps1 hardmodded
original nes
rawman024 3

Postby erik1977 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:23 am

rawman024 wrote:My guess its either sticky rails, bad ribbon cable, or dash-pot needs adjusting on the laser. Try cleaning off the rails and lube them up with graphite not oil or grease because they can gum it up. Check the ribbon cable for any sign of cracking or wear. If that fails try cleaning lens if that fails you may need to adjust the dash-pot. If you have a volt/ohm meter use that and adjust the ohms down 25-50 and try that, you can google adjusting dash-pot with ohm meter to see how to use it.If you don't have the meter only turn it a tiny tiny bit i.e. if you see it move try it. If all that fails i'm not sure what the problem could be if game works on other console.

Good advice. My PS1 has been having similar issues lately. Need to try a few things.

Systems I currently own:

Spoiler:
Playstation (modchip)
Xbox 360 slim
PS3 slim

Gaming PCs:

Windows 7 64 bit desktop (Athlon II X2 250 3ghz, 2gb ram, Radeon x1650 512mb, 128gb SSD)
Windows XP 32 bit desktop (Athlon XP 2800+ 2.1ghz, Abit NF7-S, 2gb ram, Radeon X800GTO 256mb, 2x 500gb HDD)
Windows 98SE desktop (Slot 1 Pentium 3 550mhz, Asus P3B-F, 320mb ram, Geforce TI4200 128mb, 3DFX Voodoo 2 12mb, 2x 40gb HDD)
Windows 95 desktop (Pentium 133mhz, Asus P/I-P55TP4XE, 40mb ram, Matrox Mystique 4mb, 3DFX Voodoo 2 8mb, 10gb HDD)
DOS 6.22 laptop (486DX2 50mhz, 8mb ram, 350mb HDD)
erik1977 7

Postby UndercoverGravy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:05 am

rawman024 wrote:My guess its either sticky rails, bad ribbon cable, or dash-pot needs adjusting on the laser. Try cleaning off the rails and lube them up with graphite not oil or grease because they can gum it up. Check the ribbon cable for any sign of cracking or wear. If that fails try cleaning lens if that fails you may need to adjust the dash-pot. If you have a volt/ohm meter use that and adjust the ohms down 25-50 and try that, you can google adjusting dash-pot with ohm meter to see how to use it.If you don't have the meter only turn it a tiny tiny bit i.e. if you see it move try it. If all that fails i'm not sure what the problem could be if game works on other console.

The ribbon cable looked fine, so I think I can rule that out.

I did a little bit more testing, especially with THPS1, where I tested every single song track in the Options menu. The songs "Superman," "Cyco Vision," and "Here and Now" we skipping/stuttering while every other track seemed fine. And none of those tracks had any problems on my PS2 (at least not nearly as bad on my PS1).

I'm testing Ridge Racer right now in the music player and it hasn't skipped or stuttered yet.

I think the laser is having problems reading certain areas of a disc, which may be caused by the railings needing to be lubricated in certain areas. Of course I could be wrong about all of this and I'll end up wasting time and money lubricating the rails (the old laser assembly had this same problem, though I may not have tested it enough).

Could the problem have something to do with the black plastic shroud surrounding the carriage? The laser assembly I got a year and a half ago had a grey plastic shroud which didn't fit in my PS1, so I had to take the grey shroud off as well as take the black shroud off of the old laser and put that one on the new laser. It should be noted that turning the PS1 upside down didn't fix anything and I can't play audio CDs unless I:

- Turn on the PS1 without a disc or with the disc cover open.
- Enter the CD Player in the PS1 Main Menu.
- Put an audio CD in the PS1 and close the cover.

If I turn on the PS1 with an audio CD, it freezes at the Main Menu screen and I can't move down to "CD Player" to select it.

Maybe I should burn a disc or two to test further? This PS1 is actually modchipped.

Spoiler:
Genesis (Model 2)
PlayStation
N64
Dreamcast
PS2 (Fat, SCPH-39001)
PS2 (Slim, SCPH-70012)
GameCube
PS3 (Super Slim)
UndercoverGravy 2

Postby sasapinjic » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:03 pm

Besides other advices you have got here (i to think it is laser rails or laser it self problem) only other thing i can notice is that it is possible that your game has is damaged a little, so it is in good enough shape to be played in your PS2 becouse you have better laser there, but since your PS 1 laser is weaker, game has problems there. To confirm, Burn another copy of same game and it will solve that(you dint specify are your PS are modded).

sasapinjic 13

Custom Title: Gafgarion(Penninless Scumbag)

Postby UndercoverGravy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:20 pm

sasapinjic wrote:Besides other advices you have got here (i to think it is laser rails or laser it self problem) only other thing i can notice is that it is possible that your game has is damaged a little, so it is in good enough shape to be played in your PS2 becouse you have better laser there, but since your PS 1 laser is weaker, game has problems there. To confirm, Burn another copy of same game and it will solve that(you dint specify are your PS are modded).

Just tested a burned copy of THPS2 (US). The song didn't skip when I played it in the Options menu and Single Session loaded up just fine. So yeah, it was the disc, but I thought my official copy didn't look too bad, so my PS1 laser is either really weak or really sensitive about even light scratches and dirt (or both). Maybe I should clean/repair my official PS1 discs and/or decrease the resisitance of the potentiometer on the laser some more.

Spoiler:
Genesis (Model 2)
PlayStation
N64
Dreamcast
PS2 (Fat, SCPH-39001)
PS2 (Slim, SCPH-70012)