Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Gaming franchises that got worse with sequels

Discuss Your Favourite Games, Games You Are Currently Playing or Games You Never Want to Play Again!

Gaming franchises that got worse with sequels

Postby VoodooVincent » Tue May 15, 2018 9:06 pm

F.E.A.R. - The first game had tremendous A.I., the shooting felt good & impactful, & the firefights always looked so flashy with rubble & sparks flying seemingly everywhere, looking all the more amazing in slow motion. F.E.A.R. 2, while not terrible or anything, downgraded the experience in every single way. It was still a solid game, but I remember being incredibly disappointed at the time of its release. F.E.A.R. 3 then came out & downgraded everything even further. While it's a completely playable game that can be enjoyable on its own, the F.E.A.R. franchise is a mere shadow of its former self. Everything that made the first game great was dumbed down with its sequels. I often put the first F.E.A.R. up there with the likes of Half-Life 1 & 2, No One Lives Forever 1 & 2, Soldier of Fortune, Halo: Combat Evolved, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Red Faction, etc., as one of my favorite first-person shooters, so it was a massive disappointment that F.E.A.R. started with a bang & ended with a whimper.

Crackdown - The original Crackdown is up there with Grand Theft Auto III in terms of open world sandbox fun factor. No other game since GTA III had given me that much enjoyment out of a sandbox game. While I loved Vice City, the novelty was kinda worn off by that point, as my friends & I spent countless hours playing GTA III while drinking way too much soda & eating way too much junk food. While we liked the story missions, we'd mostly just screw around, cause as much death & destruction as possible, and see how long we could last before the cops took us down. Playing GTA III for the first time was a revelation -- it was amazing! Never had a game allowed you to move about in a 3D space like that in such a creative way until Crackdown, IMO. It made sense, though, as David Jones, the mind behind the original Crackdown, was one of the driving forces behind Grand Theft Auto in its earlier, less impressive, isometric days.

Crackdown, much like GTA III, was all about exploration & that moment-to-moment gameplay loop that kept you coming back just to screw around. It didn't have the narrative structure of GTA III, however. Instead, you would move around the world & take down the gang bosses when & how you desired. You could choose which you wanted to kill first & last, as there was no order. And much like GTA III, causing chaos was just as fun, if not more so, than in GTA III. Since they made platforming a massive part of the game, collecting orbs to further improve every ability from agility, to combat, to driving, etc., it rewarded the player for exploration by making you more powerful, jump higher to get more of those oh so addictive orbs, your cars would transform into bad ass monsters on wheels, etc. Making it as much of a platforming game as it was an open world sandbox action game was a smart idea, and it's unlike any other game in its genre because of that.

Sadly, Crackdown 2 introduced "Freaks," A.K.A. zombies, when every single game had zombies, and they made the game worse in the process. It was a playable game, but a mediocre sequel to a great game.

If Crackdown was owned by Rockstar instead of Microsoft, I think the franchise would've evolved in a better manner, as Crackdown seriously feels almost like a melding of earlier Rockstar games like GTA & State of Emergency. Let's hope Crackdown 3 is at least better than 2 when & if it finally releases...

Mass Effect - Technical shortcomings & flawed shooting mechanics aside, the original Mass Effect is, IMO, the best in the franchise. I know some may say that 2 is, however please hear me out. In terms of story, Mass Effect was a massive space opera with an epic story. Not only that, it was the most ambition, as it offered a lot more exploration that 2 & 3 did. For example, the Citadel is a large, sprawling place in the original Mass Effect, whereas it's much smaller & segmented in the sequels. I still remember buying Mass Effect 2 & wondering how I reached upper floors in the Citadel, then I looked up & saw cardboard cutout NPCs littering the upper floors, only to realize that I wouldn't be able to explore like I was in the original Mass Effect. 2, while a great game in its own right, didn't seem nearly as ambitious & grand in scope. Sure, it polished up the combat, but I honestly didn't mind that the original Mass Effect played like you'd expect an RPG shooter to play, whereas Mass Effect 2 just straight up felt like Gears of War with powers. 3 wasn't much different than 2, however it received a backlash mostly because of its ending. Otherwise, 2 & 3 always felt very similar to me.

Saints Row - "GTA clone this, GTA clone that." I liked that Saints Row was a GTA clone. Why? Because we've had a total of 2 new GTA games over the last decade, not counting the expansions. It's no longer the days where we have games like True Crime, Total Overdose, Scarface, and other "GTA clone" games littering the shelves (PS: I liked these games, too), so having a game like GTA that comes out more often than every 5-6 years would be nice. Sadly, Volition went in the opposite direction & just chased the superhero, Prototype, Crackdown, Infamous train & turned Saints Row into one of those games. Saints Row needs to get back to its roots with 1 & 2. I'd love to see them do a full reboot at this point, get away from the WAY over-the-top stuff, and just call the new one Saints Row. Back to basics!

Red Faction - Another Volition franchise that was run into the ground. Red Faction 2 was mediocre, Red Faction Guerrilla was great but a big departure from the original, and Red Faction Armageddon was just as mediocre as 2 while being a third-person game like Guerrilla. I'd put Red Faction a notch below the original Half-Life. It felt like a very similar game to me, and it's a game that I played a lot on PC when it released. I've always held the original Red Faction up as one of my favorite first-person shooters, but they completely failed to deliver on the greatness that the first game showed in sequels.

It's always a bummer when gaming franchises start out so strong, show so much potential, then they fail to capitalize on said potential with mediocre or downright bad sequels.

VoodooVincent 7

Re: Gaming franchises that got worse with sequels

Postby ZX81v2 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:22 pm

Obscure....
Bloody excellent horror game on PS2

Obscure II
Bug filled wtf of a sequel...

The Suffering
Excellent Horror beat em up on PS2

The Suffering - Ties that bind
"More bugs than a bait shop"

PS2 (Phat) + Network Adapter + SATA Bridge + 2TB HDD = Insanity+1 !
Wanna Know More > theisozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=49420&hilit=+sata

FreeMCBoot Installer - OPL 0.8/9 + HDL0.8c
Game Compatibility Checker. WinHIIP User
ZX81v2's MAME/ARCADE Thread Here
FreeMCBoot Install Service "UK" Thread HERE
MY PS2 OPL 0.8 HDD Game Compatibility List Click Here 100% Safe

Latest MESS/MAME Roms : Retroroms.info < NEW SITE !

ImageImageImageImage

If you are/WERE a PS2 Developer please check PS2Home out !
Designed & (C)2013-2017 by ZX81v2
ZX81v2 Moderator

Custom Title: R Tape Loading Err0r

Postby redneck78 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:50 pm

I think just the opposite about Saints Row.
1&2 were meh! Loved 3 and up.

Who wouldn't wanna run down a street clobbering folks with a giant purple dildo?

redneck78 5

Postby rodion » Tue May 15, 2018 9:55 pm

Agree about Red Faction 1 being great, 2 was pretty bad IMO (the story, interesting weapons, characters, atmosphere, it was all gone), haven't played the rest.

As for Obscure 2, I don't remember any bugs or technical issues, but I played on PC. I like the first one better, because it was more real horror, the sequel was more action oriented IMO, but I liked both games. Both games have excellent music.

I'm still looking forward to play The Suffering.

When I think about it, I haven't really played much games that go to 3 or above, since I mostly play older titles, I'm usually stuck at the sequel 2.

rodion 5

Postby erik1977 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:36 pm

Call of Duty

Systems I currently own:

Spoiler:
Playstation (modchip)
Xbox 360 slim
PS3 slim

Gaming PCs:

Windows 7 64 bit desktop (Athlon II X2 250 3ghz, 2gb ram, Radeon x1650 512mb, 128gb SSD)
Windows XP 32 bit desktop (Athlon XP 2800+ 2.1ghz, Abit NF7-S, 2gb ram, Radeon X800GTO 256mb, 2x 500gb HDD)
Windows 98SE desktop (Slot 1 Pentium 3 550mhz, Asus P3B-F, 320mb ram, Geforce TI4200 128mb, 3DFX Voodoo 2 12mb, 2x 40gb HDD)
Windows 95 desktop (Pentium 133mhz, Asus P/I-P55TP4XE, 40mb ram, Matrox Mystique 4mb, 3DFX Voodoo 2 8mb, 10gb HDD)
DOS 6.22 laptop (486DX2 50mhz, 8mb ram, 350mb HDD)
erik1977 7

Postby pspfnruelzdude » Tue May 15, 2018 10:42 pm

Mario Party Stopped being good after 5

Double Dragon NES

WWE Games

Console lineup:

Spoiler:
OG XBOX softmod 250gb HDD
XBOX One
Wii x2 softmod
PS2 No mod
Raspberry Pi 3 w/Recalbox
Nintendo 3DS
PSP 2000 w/custom Firmware
and:
a toaster NES just for MTPO on a 36" CRT TV
pspfnruelzdude 3

Postby 607jf » Tue May 15, 2018 11:03 pm

erik1977 wrote:Call of Duty

COD was never really that good imao.

Sonic/SEGA

607jf 4

Postby HisDivineShadow » Wed May 16, 2018 12:14 am

Have to agree on Mass Effect but for me I was not in the least disappointed that the core main game elements didn't really change. I would have hoped for better allied AI but if you enjoyed the first game and you accepted your AI team mates were often a liability there was no particular reason to complain about 2 and 3 being just more of the same.

What I thought undeniably deteriorated was the secondary gameplay elements ie. the resource gathering. It was pretty pathetic even in the first game but at least you could trundle around a small area of some of the various planets you visited in a vehicle, do a bit of exploring and have the occasional fire-fight. I wanted more of that but done far, far better.

But in 2 and 3 it was as though they'd given up trying to make the resource gathering remotely interesting. It still had to be done or much of the rest of the game would have had to have been radically changed too but really it felt they'd barely put any thought into it.

I have this fantasy gaming wish that Bioware and Hello Games, the makers of No Man's Sky, would pair up and make a new Mass Effect game. They'd still need to do something about the Mass Effect AI but the prospect of combining No Man's Sky's almost infinite exploring potential and a sophisticated, well plotted game littered with huge numbers of interesting and unique characters any of who could be persuaded to join your ship's crew appeals to me, at least as an idea.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby mikeaton » Wed May 16, 2018 12:33 am

Tony hawk

mikeaton 2

Postby schmupluvr » Wed May 16, 2018 2:47 am

Max Payne 1 series for the Xbox. PS2 version looked fine but had eternal loading times.

Max Payne simply legendary.

Max Payne 2 while not horrible, some even say pretty good, it fell considerably short of the original.

Honorable mention: Max Payne 3 for PS3. It was not 5 stars like the original it was still a damn good updated version. Took forever to finally be released and some parts of the game were (almost) too difficult.

"The flesh of fallen angels!......................"

edit*-Who could forget in MP the nightmare level with the blood trail maze with the murdered wife and baby screaming in the background the whole time? It took me a long time to finally finish that level and THEN realized I could have turned the sound down. :lol:
Gotta love Rockstar.

Spoiler:
PSTV Henkaku Enso, 2TB ext hdd, dualshock 4
TSOP Xbox/CoinOPS/Ninja
Colecovision w/SD
Sega-any
TG-16
NES
PS3 CECHA01
PS4 w/1TB sshd
Wii loaded

Trinitrons, D-Series JVC and Toshiba CRTs. Lucky to have 3 curved screens with Y,Pb,Pr too!
schmupluvr 5

Custom Title: The Analog Kid

Postby Zerohour2k12 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:00 am

The Silent Hill series has gone downhill over the years....
the first 3 games are absolute Classics,
4 was nice....
Origins was nice....
Homecoming was too Action Oriented but decent IMO
Downpour kinda sucked...
Shattered Memories Sucked
Book of Memories, I haven't played yet....
P.T held such high hopes but was dashed cuz of Konami's effed-up attitude!!! :twisted:

I can only hope that the series would bounce back... :(

My Uploads
Now Playing
Bully Scholarship Edition
Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Complete Edition
Berserk - The Millennium Falcon
Blood Will Tell
SSX Tricky
Star Wars - Republic Commando
No One Lives Forever GOTY
Soul Calibur - Broken Destiny
Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
Zwei - The Arges Adventure
Burnout Paradise - The Ultimate Box
Star Wars - Starfighter
Darksiders - Wrath of War
Zerohour2k12 8

Custom Title: LeftyGuyGamerDude :)

Postby rodion » Wed May 16, 2018 3:28 am

schmupluvr wrote:edit*-Who could forget in MP the nightmare level with the blood trail maze with the murdered wife and baby screaming in the background the whole time? It took me a long time to finally finish that level and THEN realized I could have turned the sound down. :lol:
Gotta love Rockstar.

Game was made by Remedy Entertainment.

rodion 5

Postby R72G » Wed May 16, 2018 5:50 am

Ace Combat went downhill after the stellar 04 but at least Zero and X were more redeemable than whatever released after it
Ridge Racer. After 7 it took a nose dive as $camco intended to just outright kill the franchise in the worst way possible (Unbounded, then the DLC scamfest Ridge Racer Vita, and finally the final nail on the coffin Driftopia)
Burnout
Need for Speed

R72G 2

Postby Biggsy666 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:17 am

All of them :lol:

My Systems
Spoiler:
Acorn Electron
CPC464
C64
ZX Spectrum +2
Atari 2600
NES & Famicom w/ FDS
SNES & Super Famicom
N64 1 x PAL, 1 x NTSC-J
Gamecube x2 Xeno
Wii x2 softmod
Master System
Mega Drive MKI RGB w/switches & MKII
Saturn
Dreamcast
PS1 Audiophile, 3 chipped & 1 slim w/screen
PS2 1 fat silver with FMCB/120gb HDD & 1 slim w/screen
PS3 1 fat, 1 slim
Xbox (soft mod 200gb & 1 Crystal hard mod 120gb)
Xbox 360
PSP x2 CFW
GameGear
Wonderswan
N-Gage & N-Gage QD
Gameboy, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, 2x GB Macro
Nintendo DS, DSL, DSi & 3DS

My Custom Projects Click Here
Biggsy666 13

Custom Title: The Reverend

Postby sasapinjic » Wed May 16, 2018 8:12 am

Biggsy666 wrote:All of them :lol:

Hello, isnt it obvius that this is only correct answer ? :lol:

Every single of them, sooner or later will be made to farm money at cost of gameplay , only diference is which game series manage to be good longest , and by my opinion, that is Final Fantasy, who manage to be great game series at least 10 times before turn to shit .

sasapinjic 13

Custom Title: Gafgarion(Penninless Scumbag)

Postby duwen » Wed May 16, 2018 8:56 am

Surprised no one else has said Tomb Raider.
Discounting the reboot games (as I've not spent too much time with them), I thought each subsequent game in the PS1 era got progressively worse.
I try to play through the first game every few years, and I still enjoy it - it's an all time great as far as I'm concerned; a shining example of perfect level design and (for it's time) polished mechanics. All the sequels failed to replicate what made the first game special and just seemed to opt for larger environments and more generic enemies.
Granted, the control scheme and graphics improved over time, but they're about the only positives I can think of.

My...
Spoiler:
Handhelds:
Sega Game Gear, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, GBA SP Silver Original, GBA SP JPN Famicom Edition, NDS (2xPhat, 1xLite), O3DS Arctic White, N3DS XL Metallic Blue, PS Vita

Consoles:
Master System (Mk I), Mega Drive (2xPAL, Mk I), Mega Drive (PAL Mk II), Mega CD (Mk I), SNES (2xPAL), SNES Mini/Jr (NTSC), Neo-Geo CD, Playstation, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast (1xPAL, 2xNTSC-J), Playstation 2, Gamecube (with Gameboy Player), Wii (1xWhite PAL, 1xBlack PAL), Playstation 3, Xbox 360 320Gb Slim Gears of War 3 LE, Wii U 32Gb premium, Playstation 4 Pro Star Wars LE
duwen 4

Custom Title: 絶対領域

Postby Sabkahn » Wed May 16, 2018 8:58 am

Bubsy

duwen wrote:Surprised no one else has said Tomb Raider.
Discounting the reboot games (as I've not spent too much time with them), I thought each subsequent game in the PS1 era got progressively worse.

While I agree that the first one was the best the only real stinker in that Franchise is Angel of Darkness. Sure, by the time TR4 came out you noticed that they pretty much ran out of ideas, but they still where good fun. And the PS2 era Trilogy of Legend / Aniversary / Underworld wasn´t too bad either. The current Trilogy is more in the style of Uncharted, but IMO a very good modern Interpretation.

Sabkahn 5

Postby HisDivineShadow » Wed May 16, 2018 1:00 pm

I'm a big old school (Core) TR fan and regularly replay all those games. TR5 (Chronicles) is actually where they ran out of new ideas, it is also very short and much glitchier than any other TR games.

I don't even want to think about PS2 AoD as that was what lost Core the gig and lead us down the generic third person shooter road Crystal Dynamics/SE two reboots have now settled on.

But that statement about the first four games "......in the PS1 era got progressively worse." is just wrong.

TR2 was more shooty and received due criticism for that but otherwise it expanded on everything that was good about the TR1.

TR3 was the high point for me; way ahead of its time it is incredible what they created with the technology available. But it is also a game of soul destroying difficulty on first play through and still makes TR3 controversial. It is what we in the UK might call a Marmite game, you either love it or hate it.

After TR3 TR4 may be seen as the series in decline but it is still a very good game, at least as good as TR2. I replayed it in full for the first time in five years fairly recently and it actually went up in my estimation.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby CBThatGuy » Wed May 16, 2018 2:19 pm

Sabkahn wrote:Bubsy

Bubsy 2 was probably the first time as a kid where I felt ripped off after purchasing a game.

Most people don't seem to agree with me, but I think that Resident Evil 1 & 2 were the only ones worth playing.

I have tried multiple times to play other games in the series, but none ever drew me in as much as those 2, plus the horrible acting is fantastic.

Atari 2600
NES, SNES (Everdrive), SupaBoy, Wii (softmod), WiiU
Sega Nomad, Genesis (Everdrive), Dreamcast
Playstation 1 (chipped), 2 (HDLoader), 3 & 4
Xbox (Xecuter 3), Xbox 360 (drive mod)
Game Boy Color, PSP (CFW), PSTV, & DS (Acekard2i), 3DS (modded)
Turbografx 16 (Everdrive)
CBThatGuy 5

Postby cody1638 » Wed May 16, 2018 4:58 pm

too many bad sequels in great franchises imo
max payne 3 and fear 2 were huuuge ones for me.

saints row 3, rainbow six lockdown, gr future soldier, splinter cell double agent & conviction, th american wasteland, metal gear solid 5, battlefield 4, far cry 4, every need for speed after 2005,

cody1638 4

Next

Return to General Gaming Chat