Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

F:\Games Content Disappeared

Having hardware or Software issues with your Xbox console? Ask our experts here!

F:\Games Content Disappeared

Postby HisDivineShadow » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:55 am

I'd not been doing anything, just finished playing a couple of Xbox games installed on the HDD in F:\Games. I backed up the saves for that session as I always do and then decided to transfer the full DLC pack installer into F:\Apps that I'd FTPed to a temporary folder on F:\ earlier in the day.

At some point I went back to F:\Games to check what games I had which had DLC available and I was 'surprised' to find the folder appeared empty. I went to the UnleashX main dash and tried launching Games and, again, nothing. The folder is still there, everything else on F:\ is still there and working: Emulators, HomeBrew games, Apps, various archives etc. It is just the contents of the F:\Games folder that is 'missing'.

I hoped it was a reporting issue so shutdown and restarted............................no change.:(

Here's the maddening thing: the volume occupied by the games is clearly still there. The 320GB HDD has a total F:\drive size of around 290GB (AFAIK correctly formatted with Chimp 32K) and it is still showing the free space of about 40GB it had were the games still there.

That suggests whatever has gone wrong the F:\Games folder contents are still there but have some sort of corruption. Maybe its just an indexing ID but the bottom line is they're not being recognised as games now by UnleashX or any other dash.

Obviously I still searched through all the existing folders on F:\ in case the games had been moved. I would have noticed that and as I feared wherever they are on F:\ they are invisible to the Xbox.

That is a big problem; it would be bad enough having to reinstall 30+ games (>100GB) but as it is I can not see any way around having to wipe and reformat F:\ which means all (>100GB) of the other stuff there will have to reinstalled too. I have backups but that is still a very big task.

If anyone can come up with a solution that will fix this totally unexpected problem without nuking the entire contents of F:\ I'd appreciate some advice.

HisDivineShadow 9

Re: F:\Games Content Disappeared

Postby HisDivineShadow » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:17 pm

I've checked with XBPartitioner v1.3 and it is showing a ER against partition 6 the F:\drive.

I was not aware that cluster size errors could affect smaller HDDs like this 320GB but, apparently, a 16K cluster formatted partition can error when contents exceeds 250GB. Unfortunately that fits in far too neatly with the evidence: a 290GB F:\drive with, thanks to that 5GB DLC download, has just taken the free space down below 40GB.

I had problems Copying the DLC into place but no problems Moving it. The evidence was there I just did not recognise it. :(

But how the F:\drive came not to be formatted correctly is a mystery. It was two years ago but I must have used Chimp, possibly 2618 rather than Rocky5's updated version and, as usual, the F:\drive did not show the full size beyond 137GB until it had been formatted.

But why did it use 16K rather than the 32K clusters it should have used?

The problem is actually checking that even now: Chimp won't provide partition table info for a Master HDD in certain circumstances which seem to be the case here and I'm not sure how to use XBPartitioner just to check the existing cluster size. Is that possible?

Anyway suspecting the problem is the cluster size is one thing, fixing that without destroying the existing F:\ drive content is another. Advice appreciated on how to do this?

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby Rocky5 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:38 pm

Chimp2618 and lower will always use 16kb clusters just like UnleashX and evolutionx dashboards.

Chimp 261811 and above will use the correct cluster size for the appropriate partition sizes.
( this was added by idotsfan )

Only way to fix bad cluster sizes is a full format of the partition as the table and clusters are all wrong and files will be corrupt even if you could manually fix the cluster size.
( stuff in places where new clusters or existing clusters start/end )

To fix in XBPartitioner v1.3 just press A until the space is how you want it on the extra partitions and press start followed by Y.

Restart the Xbox and check with chimp 261812 or XBPartitioner v13 to make sure the cluster size is correct.

Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby HisDivineShadow » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:19 pm

Thanks very much for the info even though a bit disappointing.

If using Chimp 2618 is what happened, and it does seem likely, I wish I'd understood that about the formatting. I assumed, wrongly obviously, it was good up to a 500GB partition size and only beyond that had issues.

How about this as a solution instead: I reduce the F:\drive content by 100GB, easily done because I have a copy of my previous used 120GB HDD on F:\ which I can just delete as I've transferred over all the relevant content already and it is simply a backup.

Then partition the new free space as G so both are OK with the existing 16K clusters. Is that possible and would it work? Clutching at straws here. :)

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby Rocky5 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:26 pm

You would still lose everything on F, as it’s a format only unfortunately.

XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby HisDivineShadow » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:37 am

Thanks. Unfortunately that's what I thought so hours ago I started the tedious job of backing up everything on F:\ before reformatting.

Getting on for half a million queued files later I'm still not finished. That will teach me to check thoroughly the cluster size with HDDs larger than the 120GB - 160GB ones I generally use with the Xbox. :(

Even then I'm going to have to reinstall it all and the entire F:\Games content too. I'm going to leave that for another day.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby Rocky5 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:32 am

HisDivineShadow wrote:Thanks. Unfortunately that's what I thought so hours ago I started the tedious job of backing up everything on F:\ before reformatting.

Getting on for half a million queued files later I'm still not finished. That will teach me to check thoroughly the cluster size with HDDs larger than the 120GB - 160GB ones I generally use with the Xbox. :(

Even then I'm going to have to reinstall it all and the entire F:\Games content too. I'm going to leave that for another day.

Don’t look at it as the max size of the HDD as that’s not what determines the cluster size needed. If the any partition is going to be over 250GB it must be 32kb clusters, 500GB+ is 64kb clusters.
( 1TB is 128kb clusters, but the Xbox doesn’t support this at the kernel level so pointless :lol: )

XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby HisDivineShadow » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:56 pm

The thing is I knew all that - I have a notepad file on both PC and virtually all my Xboxes detailing the cluster size/HDD partition criteria and other Xbox/FATX matters.

Going from a 120GB IDE to 320GB SATA HDD I was more concerned with adapter and cable matters so just did not think to check the F:\drive had been correctly formatted. I just assumed it had been and blithely added more stuff without concern.

As said the annoying thing is that there were indications of the problem before F:\Games went missing. If I had realised that an otherwise inexplicable series of Copy file failures but Move file worked successfully indicated I had hit that 250GB partition limit for 16K I could have saved myself some trouble.

So if anyone is reading this in the future: a). with any 320GB HDD or bigger check your extended partitions' cluster sizes using XBPartitioner v1.3 even if every thing is working OK and b). if you experience that file Copy/Move file anomaly when you apparently have plenty of space left: STOP what you're doing, delete a few GBs of content from the partition(s) in question immediately and do the same check as well.

It might not save you from having to transfer everything back and forth but at least you won't lose anything important.

HisDivineShadow 9

Return to Troubleshooting