Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Re-partition Drive In Softmodded Xbox?

System Mods, Hard Mods and Soft Mods - Discuss them here.

Re-partition Drive In Softmodded Xbox?

Postby metroid » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:36 pm

Big thanks to everyone who helped me before getting my 1TB drive installed in my Xbox.

I was able to install a 1TB drive using XboxHDM2.3 and it seemed to work fine, got it back in my console up and running.

However, the last issue I appear to be running into is that all of the space from the drive is not accounted for. My C: and E: drives seem fine. But then my F: and G: drives only show (looking at it thru Rocky's file explorer menu) 236,222mb and 472,429mb of free space, respectively. That brings me to a grand total of 708,651mb. With the E: drive seeming to take up another 4gb.

So 2 questions I have from this:

1) Any idea where the remaining space went? (Should be like 260gb~ or so?)
2) Is there anyway I can consolidate all of the space from F: drive and put it all towards the G: drive? So I can just dump my games and everything there instead of having it split in 2 spots?

Would XBpartitioner-1.3 be a good app to get this task done?

Any help is much appreciated! :lovetiz:

metroid 3

Custom Title: The last Metroid is in captivity.

Re: Re-partition Drive In Softmodded Xbox?

Postby kaos_engr » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:49 pm

So, how'd you get XboxHDM23 to partition the additional space on the HDD?

What steps were used?

XBPartitioner v1.3
You can use XBPartitioner v1.3 to reformat/change the sizes of the extended partitions to split the space equally between partition 6 (F) and 7 (G).

I suggest using both partitions with 32KB clusters instead of 1 larger F drive that will require 64KB cluster allocations.

The difference between 32KB and 64KB allocation is that any file smaller than 1 cluster in size will be allocated space of 1 cluster be it 32KB or 64KB depending upon which is used to format the extended partition(s).

16K cluster allows for partitions up to 256GB
32K cluster allows for partitions up to 512GB
64K cluster allows for partitions up to 1024GB (1TB) formatted space.

Allocate the remaining space to partition 6 alone will require formatting it with 64KB clusters. On the other hand, splitting the remaining space between partitions 6 and 7 will only require formatting them to use 32KB clusters.

Reformatting the extended partitions, 6 and 7, will destroy any data already present on them. It will not affect the standard partitions C, E, X, Y, and Z.

kaos_engr 7

Postby metroid » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:06 pm

Well I just followed the steps in XboxHDM23 but it never gave me a choice as to how much space I wanted to allocate to F: and G: - then I fired up the drive in my console and thats what it's telling me. Not sure at all how it got to that point. ;)

kaos_engr wrote:XBPartitioner v1.3
You can use XBPartitioner v1.3 to reformat/change the sizes of the extended partitions to split the space equally between partition 6 (F) and 7 (G).

I suggest using both partitions with 32KB clusters instead of 1 larger F drive that will require 64KB cluster allocations.

Can XBPartitioner v1.3 do this as well (change the cluster size?)
Does it make sense to allocate all (or most at least, maybe I leave 1-2gb on F:) to the G: drive so I could just store everythnig on that? I mean are there advantages/disadvantages at all?
Sounds like this is exactly what I need.

metroid 3

Postby kaos_engr » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:17 pm

metroid wrote:Well I just followed the steps in XboxHDM23 but it never gave me a choice as to how much space I wanted to allocate to F: and G: - then I fired up the drive in my console and thats what it's telling me. Not sure at all how it got to that point. ;)

kaos_engr wrote:XBPartitioner v1.3

Can XBPartitioner v1.3 do this as well (change the cluster size?)
Does it make sense to allocate all (or most at least, maybe I leave 1-2gb on F:) to the G: drive so I could just store everythnig on that? I mean are there advantages/disadvantages at all?
Sounds like this is exactly what I need.

I think it's best to split the space equally between F and G. Hmm, I need to look into this a bit more for a softmodded system.

Yes, XBPartitioner v1.3 knows what size cluster allocation to use based on the size of the extended partition. Not all Xbox apps that format the drive do. UnleashX and Evox only support 16KB or 32KB clusters. So if a partition is over 512KB in size the format doesn't actually work correctly. I just don't know what formatted your extended partitions. I'll have to check into what XboxHDM23USB uses to format them.

Run XBPartitioner v1.3 and see if there's an ER printed in RED next to either of the current extended partition sizes.

Which softmod package did you use? Was it SID v?.??? If so, which version? Or, Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool? If so, which version?

The stock BIOS of an Xbox supports LBA28 (max HDD size 137GB). Various softmods extend the maximum size HDD using different methods: loading a Boot from Media (BFM) BIOS or patching the stock BIOS to enable pseudo-LBA48 access to drives larger than 137GB. LBA32 is more like what the patch does not true 48-bit access as the counters used in the Xbox coding are only 32-bits in size.

kaos_engr 7

Postby metroid » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:27 pm

Yeah, I used Rocky's Softmod Tool thats bundled with XboxHDM23. (Appears to be version 1.1.4)

I'm gonna run XBPartitioner soon and see what it tells me.

And my last question for now, I will need to store the XBPartitioner dir on the C: or E: drive? Because if I end up running it from F: or G: and reformatting those partitions this won't work I presume :D

Thanks for all of your help man you've been awesome while helping this poor old newb. lol.

metroid 3

Postby kaos_engr » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:51 pm

Yes, install XBPartitioner on either, probably best to use E:\Apps\XBPartitioner folder to upload/install to. UnleashX is most likely set up to add new applications from there, not the C drive.

The version of XboxHDM23USB you used, is it Beta 3? It installs a no game disc required softmod installer to the HDD. I didn't think it formatted the extended partitions.

I thought you had to run XBPartitioner v1.3 after the softmod installation was completed. It formats the remaining space on the HDD above the stock 8GB's required by the Xbox.

kaos_engr 7

Postby metroid » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:03 pm

Yep - the Beta 3. I didnt know to run XBPartitioner anyway since there was no clear cut instructions out there anywhere. But yes I will do that right now.

Appreciate the help.

metroid 3

Postby kaos_engr » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:10 pm

Take a snapshot of XBPartioner's screen and post it here.

I'd like to see what it shows before you make any changes.

After the Softmod Installation completed, did you see this screen when you rebooted the console?

UnleashX New HDD Message - 00r0r_8c4yooaTRX5_600x450.jpg

Update: The more I think about it you probably didn't as this shows on a hardmodded system with a new empty HDD installed, not one that already has C and E and possibly X, Y, and Z drives present.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kaos_engr 7

Postby metroid » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:39 pm

kaos_engr wrote:Take a snapshot of XBPartioner's screen and post it here.

I'd like to see what it shows before you make any changes.

After the Softmod Installation completed, did you see this screen when you rebooted the console?

UnleashX New HDD Message - 00r0r_8c4yooaTRX5_600x450.jpg

Update: The more I think about it you probably didn't as this shows on a hardmodded system with a new empty HDD installed, not one that already has C, E, X, Y, and Z drives present.

Damn sorry I didnt see this in time before I formatted. Didnt get a screen capture

Yes indeed, my F: drive had the ER next to it and was showing 256/483gb available. Dont know what but Something on it was fucked. It also had this weird "#-fdn@!0v*$" kinda folder there and I couldnt access it at all. Reformatted and it went back to normal, 483~gb like the G: drive was (I formatted that too just to be safe)

All is well now. All of the space is accounted for.

And no I never saw that screen. Dont think that happens for softmod like you said.

Again, thanks man. Just needed a little guidance I guess.

Now to see what else I can do with this thing :lovetiz:

metroid 3

Postby kaos_engr » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:59 am

Glad that it all worked out.

I'm not sure how the system thought your F and G drives were already set up.

I always thought you had to format them after the softmod installer completed.

And, XBPartitioner v1.3 is the tool to do so.

kaos_engr 7

Postby metroid » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:59 am

At one point during the new drive setup in XboxHDM23USB it asked me about formatting F: drive. I hit yes so maybe that was enough? But I don't recall seeing anything about the G: drive being formatted. (Unless I just missed it)

Anything fun you recommend I get going on here? What's the best dashboard to use?

metroid 3

Postby kaos_engr » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:54 am

UnleashX which is the default dashboard the Xbox Softmodding Tool installs.

There's also XBMC4Xbox v3.5.3 (Junk Edition) - Junk's pre-installed a few plugins that still worked with the latest XBMC4Xbox release and XBMC-Emustation.

DVD2Xbox - RIP Original Discs to HDD,
DVD-X2 - Dongle-free DVD Player (doesn't require the DVD Playback Kit)

And, a huge number of homebrew game ports, retro console and arcade emulators. The latest versions are best downloaded from can't name that site here. :) I'm not sure all the latest releases have been submitted here or to the new site - retrozone.co.

P.S. If you haven't already signed up to the new home of retro gaming, please do so!

kaos_engr 7

Postby metroid » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:47 am

Thanks man, really appreciate all the assistance you've given me. Been a huge help.

And yep I've signed up there. Probably should just post new topics there from now on. I wonder when they will lock all new signups / topic creations here and force everyone over to that site.

metroid 3

Return to System Modding