Making a Standing Desk at Home: DIY Guide
More and more people are recognizing the benefits of a standing desk – not only for your overall health, but also for your productivity. But making the switch from sitting to standing can be hard – not to mention expensive! In this guide, we’ll show you how to make a standing desk at home for less than $100.
What is a Standing Desk?
A standing desk is a piece of furniture that you stand on to work. It allows you to use your whole body instead of just your hands and arms, which can help improve your circulation and make you more productive. There are several different types of standing desks available, so it’s important to choose the one that’s right for you. Here’s a guide to making a standing desk at home.
1. Decide what type of standing desk you want
There are three main types of standing desks: traditional, sit-stand, and treadmill desks. Traditional desks are the simplest option and require no assembly. Sit-stand desks require a bit of assembly, but you can stand and work on them in either position. Treadmill desks allow you to work in either position but also include a built-in motor that helps you exercise while you work.
2. Choose the right materials
If you’re looking for a traditional standing desk, you’ll need sturdy furniture that can support your weight. You can buy premade stands or build your own using wooden boards or particle boards. If you’re looking for a sit-stand desk, look for one with adjustable height and width so that you can customize the workspace to your needs.
3. Get the right accessories
If you’re planning on using a treadmill desk, you’ll need a mat and a strap to keep you from falling. You can also buy a stand that holds your laptop so that you can work at a comfortable angle.
How to Make a Standing Desk at Home?
Making a standing desk at home can be done in a few different ways, and there are many DIY resources and tutorials available online. A really great guide on making your own standing desk, has been written by the team at EZ Shopper.
1. Gather your materials:
-A table (or any sturdy, flat surface)
-A power drill
-Plywood or another sturdy wood panel at least 48 inches by 24 inches
-Cordless drill with bit size appropriate for wood screws
-Hammer or mallet
-Level or straight edge to make sure the tabletop is level
-Sawhorses or blocks of furniture to help support the standing desk while it’s being built
2. Decide where you want the standing desk to go. The tabletop should be at least 2 feet away from the wall so that you have plenty of room to move around while working.
3. Cut the plywood to the desired size and shape. Be sure to account for any overhangs on either side of the tabletop.
4. Drill holes into the plywood where you will be screwing it to the tabletop. Be sure to pre-drill the holes so that the screws will go in easily.
5. Screw the plywood to the tabletop using a cordless drill and wood screws. Make sure that the screws are tight enough so that there is no movement in the tabletop while you are working, but not so tight that they damage the wood.
6. Level the tabletop using a straight edge or level.
7. If you want, add a layer of protection to the edges of the plywood by spray painting or attaching a layer of felt over the screws. This will help to keep your desk looking clean and new for longer!
How to Use Your Standing Desk?
There’s something about sitting all day that can be really tough on our bodies. Standing up and moving around regularly has been shown to help with a number of health issues, like improved circulation and decreased inflammation. But standing desks aren’t just for office workers- they can be great for anyone who wants to stay healthy and active at home. Here are some tips on how to make a standing desk at home:
- First, figure out what size desk you need. If your desk is already built, you can probably just use it! Otherwise, you’ll need to find a standing desk that will fit on the space you have. Make sure the desk is at least six inches higher than the floor so you can easily raise and lower it.
- Get some supplies! You’ll need a sturdy table or chair, an adjustment lever or handle, wood screws, wood stain or sealant, wire brush, sandpaper, clamps, and wood glue or other fast-setting adhesive.
- Assemble the desk using the instructions below: Start by attaching one end of the Adjustment Lever/Handle to the table/chair leg and screw it in place using the screws. Then, mark the height of the desk using a piece of paper and drill a hole in the top of the desk at that height. Next, screw in the Adjustment Lever/Handle so it’s pointing up and tightened with the screws.
- Finally, attach the other end of the Adjustment Lever/Handle to the desktop and screw it in place. Make sure to tighten it down so it’s stable.
- Finish off the look of your standing desk by attaching some wood panels to the front and back of your table or chair. You can paint them or stain them to match your room’s décor.
Tips for Using Your Standing Desk
If you’re looking to make a standing desk at home, there are a few things to keep in mind.
First, you’ll need a sturdy work surface to stand on. You can buy a pre-made standing desk, or build one yourself using a plywood platform and casters. If you’re building your own standing desk, be sure to measure the width and height of your workspace before beginning so that you have an accurate starting point.
Once you have your work surface prepared, it’s time to find the right standing desk chair. Standing chairs are available in many different styles and prices, but they all have one common goal: to keep you upright while you work. The best chair for your needs will depend on your body type and the type of work you do. For example, if you sit most of the day, a traditional office chair may be a good choice. If you spend a lot of time on your feet, though, a reclining chair with built-in footrests may be better suited.
Once you’ve chosen your chair and workspace, it’s time to get started installing your new standing desk! There are several different ways to do this, so find one that works best for you.
If you’re tired of your office chair making you feel like you are sitting in a slouch, or if you just want to try something new in your home office space, then a standing desk might be the perfect solution for you. In this DIY guide, we will walk you through the steps needed to make your very own standing desk at home. From finding the right materials to assembling the desk, we will cover it all so that by the time we’re done, you will have a standing desk that is both stylish and functional. Give it a try and let us know how it goes!