A home bar can be a fortress of solitude, a neighborhood hangout, or a party venue for viewing important sports matches. Whatever you use your bar for, it’s going to be much more functional and enjoyable if it’s upgraded with the latest technology.
Analyzing Your Home Bar
Not every conceivable technology upgrade is going to be a good fit for your home bar, so the first step of the process is to analyze your home bar and determine what types of upgrades are going to be most appropriate for it.
- Location. Start by thinking about the location, as certain locations are going to present unique challenges that you’ll need to work around – but also opportunities that other locations may not have. For example, it’s increasingly common for people to construct outdoor bars from scratch or prebuilt components. If your bar is totally outside, there may be certain pieces of electronic equipment that you won’t be able to use, but at the same time, you’ll have a broader range of preparation options, complete with easier cleanup.
- Size and space. You’ll also need to think about the size and space of your bar. In some cases, you may be able to relocate it or expand it, but most people are only going to be interested in working with what they have. Bigger home bars are going to have more versatile options available to them.
- Function. Finally, you’ll need to think about the function of this home bar. Is this a gathering spot for people around the neighborhood to watch sports together and socialize? Or is this just a little corner of your home where you find privacy, peace, and relaxation? These two very different aims are going to lead to very different choices on tech upgrades.
Technology Upgrades to Make Your Home Bar Even Better
Generally, these are some of the best technology upgrades you can use to make your home bar even better:
- Audiovisual equipment. Most people want a little bit of entertainment while they’re drinking, or at least some background noise to set the right tone. Accordingly, you should consider upgrading your audio visual equipment. Purchasing an OLED television with a surround sound speaker system can give you access to the best quality entertainment currently available. Depending on your preferences, you may also want a projector with a screen, so you can get the complete movie theater experience. Even if you decide not to splurge on all this new equipment, you should at least get a decent set of speakers so you can enjoy your favorite tunes while imbibing.
- Smart scale and app. Next, consider picking up a smart scale with an app to go with it. Not every bartender is meticulously attentive to detail, but if you want to make better cocktails, you need to be able to measure accurately. Smart scales do the measuring work better than ever before, and come with a variety of features designed to cater to bartenders, chefs, and other kitchen wizards.
- Cold smoker. Cold smoking is the practice of smoking food products, but with a tool and/or technique that doesn’t generate extra external heat. These days, cold smokers are more available and more versatile than ever before. If you’ve ever wanted to add an extra touch of flavor to your favorite cocktails, or if you want to prepare some delicious meats on the side, this is a must buy.
- An electric wine bottle opener. Depending on your dexterity and level of experience, opening wine bottles may be a completely trivial matter to you. Even so, you might be impressed and surprised at how much quicker and easier it is to use an electric wine bottle opener. These relatively high-tech devices are very affordable, but they can help you open bottles in seconds, with no real demand for manual effort.
- Coordinated lights (with a smart speaker). Lighting is crucial for the ideal home bar experience, so consider picking up some smart bulbs and smart LED strips that allow you to control variables like color, brightness, and pulsation. Many of these products come with apps you can use to precisely control the lighting at a moment’s notice – but it’s also worth investing in a smart speaker so you can adjust the lighting with a simple verbal command. After all, your hands might be full if you’re working the bar.
- Smart locks and security features. Whether you’re concerned about overall home security or want to prevent your kids from getting into your stash, it’s wise to invest in smart locks and other home security features. Smart locks are designed to be both secure and convenient, so you can get access to your favorite liquors without making them openly available to uninvited guests.
- Stainless steel everything. Stainless steel isn’t exactly a new technology, but it is an impressive material. If you haven’t already, you should upgrade pretty much all your tools and utensils to stainless steel, such as funnels, mixers, stirrers, and jiggers.
- Arcade games. If you love video games or you’re just nostalgic for a simpler time, consider purchasing a couple of arcade cabinets to have next to the bar. There are a multitude of titles to choose from, and the cabinets themselves are relatively affordable. If you’re willing to experiment with a Raspberry Pi, you can also create a RetroPie – a gaming station capable of emulating almost any older video game. It’s perfect for parties.
Building the Perfect Home Bar
In your pursuit of building the perfect home bar, the following tips can give you even more ideas to work with:
- Get inspiration. Never allow yourself to get complacent. Look to social media to get inspiration from other people passionate about their home bars.
- Collect feedback. If you have guests over frequently, ask for feedback. What could you do to make this environment even better?
- Ask yourself “what’s missing?” When you find yourself in quiet moments, ask what’s missing. Is there an itch that hasn’t yet been scratched?
- Stay tuned to tech news channels. It’s important to stay apprised of the latest technological developments, so stay tuned to tech news channels to remain ahead of the curve.
- Be willing to experiment. Not all of your tech upgrades or modifications are going to fit perfectly, but you should still be willing to experiment.
These tech upgrades may not be capable of helping you devise more creative cocktails or offer more delicious snacks, but they can make your home bar more comfortable, more functional, and more impressive to guests. If wielded properly, they can help you construct the ideal home bar environment.