If you're like me then you just can't stand the original Dreamcast controller for fight games. I mean it's a decent controller for other things. It's not like I hate it or anything. For me though it just isn't comfortable and in my opinion, the D pad just sucks.
I started looking for alternatives and what I found was just a let down. I bought the ASCII Pad FT from a Japanese seller on eBay. I was so excited so finally have what others have highly recommended. Once I finally got it though I was let down. One of it's features that pushed me to buy was It has an internal motor for controller vibration. No need for a bulky tremor pack anymore! Well it didn't work so I wound up having to open it up and fix it. Not only was the motor bad but the wires were pulled off. After fixing it though it ran like a champ. It's better than the original Dreamcast controller for fighting games but it just wasn't what I was looking for.
One day I was browsing at a thrift store and I found an iCade for dirt cheap. I don't remember now but I'm pretty sure it was under $5.oo, so I got it.
I didn't care about destroying it since it was so cheap. First thing I did was pair it with a tablet to see what was so cool about it. Mostly just to see if it worked though. After about five minutes it looked like this:
I took it apart using a 1/8 size hex wrench.
Since everything tested out OK it was time to get to work. I couldn't really find much online about how to do this so for the most part I had to just play it by ear. After opening an original Dreamcast controller I mapped out which points I wanted to solder to.
I got a cardboard box that was about 1/2mm thick and cut out a design I thought would work pretty good. Nothing too complicated, I wanted it to be easy to tear down in case I needed to tinker further. I used a box cutter to free my design and scissors to make the holes.
I just used regular solder, no flux. I have a cheap Weller 10w soldering iron that did well enough. After the solder points were made perfect contact with I added some hot glue to keep it strong. The hot glue gun I used is also a cheapy, 10w mini.
I used some threaded tape and hot glue to form the box together. I also cut a notch in the side for the chord to protrude.
I made it to open up kind of like an old bullet case but without the clamps.
When it's closed the chord doesn't get smashed. It isn't perfect but it's good enough for me.
I added a few decals from spare parts to give it some flare. I'm quite pleased with the end result. I know a few people out there are concerned with button lag on the triggers. To be perfectly honest though I don't even notice it. Say what you will about build quality. This thing kicks_ass!!!