Community
Submit
Marketplace

Is it still worth it ?

Come here if you are having PC gaming related issues

Is it still worth it ?

Postby XTENDEAD » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:48 am

hello everyone

i just received an i3 pc on my aunt and my question is.. is it still worth it to upgrade the old part to a a little higher pc components or should i just buy a new pc ..

here are the parts of this pc
*Gigabyte LGA-1155 motherboard
*Intel core i3-2100 3.10mhz
*Kingston 8gb 1600mhz
*Nvidia gt 730 2 gb 128 bit

i would really appreciate your opinion guys im just curious about this thing .. :D :D

thanks in advance.,. :D :D :D

XTENDEAD 2

Custom Title: PC Gamer & enthusiast

Re: Is it still worth it ?

Postby MasterOfAll » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:46 am

It depends on what you plan on using it for?

And what kind of budget do you have?

MasterOfAll Moderator

Postby ClassicGamer90 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:40 am

To answer your question we need to know what you'll be using it for (gaming, home theater PC, video editing, basic tasks, etc.) and also how much you'd be willing to spend to determine what'd be worth putting into it vs buying a new PC.

If you want to use it for gaming your RAM should be fine, the size is plenty but the speed I'm not sure about. If you have the money to sink into it go with a i5 (quad-core) processor with atleast 3.3GHz or higher at minimum (socket LGA 1155). You can either look into getting a used graphics card or buy new, can't remember but I think the 750ti is good for entry level gaming but if you want something cheap but able to run the latest stuff atleast get a GTX 1060. You'll have to see what minimum wattage power supply the graphics card requires, which will be on the back of the box or in the specs section of the store page online. You'll want atleast a 500w power supply or greater.

You're looking at about roughly $400 in upgrades at minimum unless you're able to find them cheaper, some games may run on high at 1080p but going into this I'd expect most to be optimal at medium settings.

When I added up how much it would be to build one for a friend around these specs but with new hardware I believe it was at minimum $600 (counting a cheap case, fans, refurbished hard drive), the bonus to going with newer hardware is if you decide to upgrade in a year its somewhat still relevant technology and has lots of options.

But then again you currently have a free PC (I assume free) to work with, so you have to weigh the pros and cons working with what you got to vs buying the parts to build a whole new system.

If you're able to put around $400 (again rough estimate, but shouldn't be any higher) or less in it just to have something to get you by for a couple years until you have some money saved up then I think its a decent investment, then just use it as a home theater PC when you retire it.

Systems I own:

Spoiler:
x2 NES
x2 SNES (Orig. & mini)
x1 Super Famicom
x2 Sega Genesis
x2 Nintendo 64
x3 PlayStation (Slim, orig., & orig. w/chip & clear blue shell)
x1 Sega Saturn
x4 Sega Dreamcast (1 w/ clear blue shell)
x2 GameCube (Xeno chip)
x1 GB
x1 GB Pocket
x2 GBC
x2 GBA
x1 GBA SP
x4 PlayStation 2 (2 orig. & 2 slim)
x1 Original Xbox (250GB HDD & UnleashX)
x1 Xbox 360 (Star Wars 320GB)
x1 PlayStation 3 (1TB)
x1 Wii (soft modded, 1TB HDD)
x1 Wii U
x1 DS Lite
x1 DSi XL
x1 3DS XL
X1 PS Vita
x2 PSP (1000, 3000 w/CFW)
x1 Neo Geo X
x1 Retro Freak
ClassicGamer90 4

Postby mrpink999 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:04 pm

Depends on the "actual" age of the machine. how long was it used for and for what?

If the MB is already 5 years old in service, I would not spend 400 on that.

Throw a better Gcard in it and go if thats the case if you wanna play games

I build Full pc's for customers for $400, SSD's, quadcores, etc..

I3 is a decent little processor, but dont expect to play any of the latest games.

As a rule of thumb, PSU's do not last forever, IMO a crucial component often overlooked on older boxes.
Unstable voltage can raise hell with a cpu, a lot think they have a virus> lol
Older ones under a decent load can blow and take out your entire rig.

Consider the age and use its had before dropping coin on it, check it out thoroughly
(Caps, any maintainence work done on it, age<, etc)

Me personally never had tremendous luck with used pc's,
I'm hard on em and something always goes boom/
Just my .02¢

mrpink999 Moderator

Custom Title: No Worries

Postby Moandain » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:36 pm

I would not upgrade it and use it till it is dead. This way you can learn more about what you really want and budget for it while you still have something to play with.

What a strange life and wild ride.
Moandain 3

Postby XTENDEAD » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:49 pm

first of all thanks for answering my question..

i just want to used this pc for gaming and streaming that's all. mostly for games like

*rise of the tomb raider
*mirror's edge catalyst
*league of legends
*Overwatch

what you think guys is it still possible? anyways i don't overclock my pc ill always stick to the default settings :D :D

XTENDEAD 2

Custom Title: PC Gamer & enthusiast

Postby Bugnotnotthegreat » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:31 pm

XTENDEAD wrote:first of all thanks for answering my question..

i just want to used this pc for gaming and streaming that's all. mostly for games like

*rise of the tomb raider
*mirror's edge catalyst
*league of legends
*Overwatch

Personally I would say you should upgrade it if you want to stream mirrors edge and rise of the tomb raider. That pc should be able to run and stream lol and overwatch. But don't take my word you should probably wait until someone who knows more than me says something.

Bugnotnotthegreat Newbie

Custom Title: Moderately ok man

Postby catch_2030 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:56 pm

Is this a prebuilt (Dell, Acer, ASUS, Lenovo etc..)? If so before you update anything, make sure your BIOS supports the CPU you are looking at. Also make sure the PSU is rated to run whatever GPU you are looking at.

The GPU is your largest bottleneck by far. The 730 wasnt good for gaming when it came out and that hasnt changed. Its a good HTPC card but not a gaming one. Depending on your budget and PSU situation, the 2 cards I would consider is the 1050 Ti and the 1060. AMD has some good cards also but I'm not as familiar with them so I cant speak about them. If your PSU is a craptastic one, the 1050 Ti is the card (just make sure it doesnt require additional power from the PSU and can just use the PCI-E slot for power). This is also a part you can take with you to a future build.

As for CPU, it will hold you back some as well but dont go dropping big money on an older Intel. Make sure you get a good deal on it. Look for a quad-core and 3+ GHz. Something like this. You can also look at Ivy bridge i-series processors as well, you will probably need a BIOS upgrade depending on the motherboard.

If this is indeed a prebuilt, dont go throwing large sums of money at it. PSUs on prebuilts are almost always non-standard and are low on the wattage. This is far from ideal when it comes to upgrading them. Let us know what you have exactly in regards to the PSU and such and we can go from there. At the very least, this will be a great HTPC/emulation PC for you :)

"Spoon feeding in the long run teaches us nothing but the shape of the spoon."
~E.M. Forster~

TIZ Legal Notice

Please report requests that have been filled!
catch_2030 Moderator

Custom Title: Can't stump the Trump!

Postby MaxRD » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:41 pm

Just wanted to say I totally 100% AGREE with catch_2030 post above, he said it all really.

My Collection
Spoiler:
NDS-Gameboy AdvanceSP-2 Xbox-2TG16-JVC X'Exe-Nintendo Wii-GP2X WIZ-GP2X Caanoo-Dingoo A320-PS2 (Phat & SLIM)-2 Gamecube-3 Dreamcast-Sega Saturn-Sega CDX-CDi-3DO-Genesis model 1-Sega Master System-FC Mobile-PS1 (Original and SLIM)-2 Colecovisions-Intellivision II-Ti99a-Atari 5200 /7800/2600/Jr./1040ste-1040stf-Commodore 64c & c64-SNES-NEO GEO CD-N64-NES-Retron3-JXD s601-s7800b-Atari 5200 VCS Adapter MODDED for Stand alone operation
MaximumRD's Hub of AWESOME !
Follow me on Twitter ! https://twitter.com/MaximumRD
MaxRD 4

Custom Title: Lover of Retro Games!

Postby erik1977 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:04 am

I agree with others that a much better graphics card would really increase your performance for gaming. If gaming isn't a concern, then just use it as is.

Systems I currently own:

Spoiler:
Playstation (modchip)
Xbox 360 slim
PS3 slim

Gaming PCs:

Windows 7 64 bit desktop (Athlon II X2 250 3ghz, 2gb ram, Radeon x1650 512mb, 128gb SSD)
Windows XP 32 bit desktop (Athlon XP 2800+ 2.1ghz, Abit NF7-S, 2gb ram, Radeon X800GTO 256mb, 2x 500gb HDD)
Windows 98SE desktop (Slot 1 Pentium 3 550mhz, Asus P3B-F, 320mb ram, Geforce TI4200 128mb, 3DFX Voodoo 2 12mb, 2x 40gb HDD)
Windows 95 desktop (Pentium 133mhz, Asus P/I-P55TP4XE, 40mb ram, Matrox Mystique 4mb, 3DFX Voodoo 2 8mb, 10gb HDD)
DOS 6.22 laptop (486DX2 50mhz, 8mb ram, 350mb HDD)
erik1977 6

Postby MasterOfAll » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:30 am

I'm unsure of your prices over there, but the 1155 socket at most can handle a 3770K. Going by what games you say you want to play, and from today's prices, you're better off starting again.
Instead throwing good money after bad.

I fully understand budgets, and everyone has their price points. Either buy what you can afford and put up with that it won't play what you'd like to play, or save up and splash out on an expensive machine that will play what you want now, and will be able to handle the next few years, with simple upgrades like more memory or better graphic cards.

Get a capture device, and use this machine as your capture machine. Save up for a better machine. You're going to hit a brick wall pretty quickly with that spec.

MasterOfAll Moderator

Return to Troubleshooting