Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Need Help updating my PS3's CFW & getting up to date with it

Discuss the Sony Playstation 3 here. General discussion, troublshooting, guides and more.

Need Help updating my PS3's CFW & getting up to date with it

Postby FFTHEWINNER » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:36 pm

Here is the story: I bought a PS3 back in 2009. never really used it because i love the 360 far more and the PS3 wasnt hackable at that point. then many years ago i took it to a store and had them upgrade the HDD to a 500GB one and install the Jailbreak and a few games(stores do that in my country. heck,the stores sell you any new system pre-modded here :lol: ,and back then i didnt know anything about modding). I played it a bit then then returned to my 360(and other systems). now i am interested in playing some of its exclusives(like persona 5,which apparently need the latest CFW for it),and i am far more interested in modding in general(because of years of training on the 360's scene lol),so i would like to learn what i missed :)

The main things i want to do are:
-update my CFW and my multiman to the latest versions,
-learn how to transfer ps3 games(retail and PSN) to my ps3 and install it
- learn how to put PS2, PS1, and PSP games on it and make it run them(my PS3 isnt PS2 backwards compatible,but i heard that CFW can make it run PS2 games and PSP games without issues,so that would be wonderful)
-add covers to the games on my HDD.
-any other suggestions?

my current CFW setup according to Multiman system info is:
Multiman version: 04.18.00
PS3 firmware 4.30[SC-36 I Hermes] (weirdly,the system's normal menu shows its firmware as 4.31)
Free Memory: 59712 KB (what do they mean by this one?)
Free HDD Soace: 255.73GB (not sure where the other 200 GB went lol,as i only have a few games on it :? )

any and all help would be appreciated. :lovetiz:

FFTHEWINNER 9

Re: Need Help updating my PS3's CFW & getting up to date wit

Postby kaos_engr » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:02 pm

Latest official Rebug CFW is 4.81.2 – Cobra 7.5 – Toolbox 2.02.12 released 2017-01-10 available at https://rebug.me/.

Many links to other 'Sites to Checkout' there with PS3 forums for way too much help.

There are many CFW distros: ReBug, Ferrox, Rogero, etc. for CEX or DEX PS3's:
  • CEX = Consumer PS3 console bought in a store
  • DEX = Debug - Developers Console that costs thousands of dollars
Recently mid-2012, hack released to convert CEX to DEX by modifying the Flash. Read:
What is PS3 CEX and DEX help? and [PS3] CEX to DEX, connecting the dots]

Rebug CFW distros are:
  • REX for CEX PS3s
  • D-REX for DEX PS3s (not sure about CEX converted to DEX PS3)

Basic CFW Upgrade How-to (a CFW version already installed):
  1. Download the CFW file you wish to use (PUP file)
  2. Create a folder on your USB thumb drive named "PS3"
  3. Inside the "PS3" folder create a new folder named "UPDATE"
  4. Copy the "<CFW VERSION>.PUP" to your "UPDATE" folder
  5. Rename the file "<CFW VERSION>.PUP" to "PS3UPDAT.PUP"
  6. Install the update on your PS3

kaos_engr 6

Postby kaos_engr » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:25 am

Cex2Dex looks a bit complicated and from the bit I've read loses the ability to play PSN games.

Having a hard time finding all the files to do the conversion from CEX to DEX anyway.

Else, there's a different way to do the conversion than what I saw at http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Cex2Dex

kaos_engr 6

Postby FFTHEWINNER » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:59 am

Ok. i downloaded the Rebug 4.81.2 CFW and installed it(CEX,not interested in DEX),activated cobra and webman,and found the newest version of multiman and installed it. thanks for your help with that :). any help with the following:
-learn how to transfer ps3 games(retail and PSN) to my ps3 and install it
- learn how to put PS2, PS1, and PSP games on it and make it run them(my PS3 isnt PS2 backwards compatible,but i heard that CFW can make it run PS2 games and PSP games without issues,so that would be wonderful)
-add covers to the games on my HDD.
-any other suggestions?
would be appreciated :)

also,one of my old hdd games (Yakuza dead souls)refuses to load. it hangs at the first loading screen forever. another one,Infamous 2,originally loaded but when i connected the console to the internet it asked for an update. after the update it too hangs at the first loading screen,even though all my other games updated and played with no issues after that. any idea on how to solve these issues?
also,isnt 4.81 the last ofw?then why does the system say i need a software update to use psn?(i refused ofcourse,but what update would it want when i am already on 4.81?)

FFTHEWINNER 9

Return to Playstation 3