Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Ghost Recon serie regression

Discuss Your Favourite Games, Games You Are Currently Playing or Games You Never Want to Play Again!

Ghost Recon serie regression

Postby kremiso » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:10 pm

At least is what i think of it

all my fun started in 2001 with the original one played on ogXBOX,
and why not, also his first expansion (Island Thunder)
i found in those games a perfect mix of stealth, freedom of movement,
relaxing gameplay (yes, this is a paradox for a 'war game' but i liked it), exploration
and challenge that i have not found anymore in all the other releases :(

i have not liked also the futuristic turn taken by programmers and the introduction
of remote-controlled weapons...

so, i'm now in search of a game that can match the feelings i had with the first one,
and, of course, any suggestion will be TRULY appreciated ! :lovetiz:

kremiso 6

Custom Title: Nostalgia Generator

Re: Ghost Recon serie regression

Postby Sabkahn » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:36 pm

Island Thunder wasn´t the first expansion, that was Desert Siege and it was only released on PC and as an unloackble Bonus in Ghost Recon for PS2, so if you never played Deser Siege you might whant to either give the PS2 Version a try if you don´t mind replaying the original campaign first or just play the PC version.

And you might or might not already know that PS2´s Jungle Storm was an exclusive campaign to the PS2 wich also contained the Island Thunder campaign. So this disc might also be worth a look.

The Trilogy of Ghost Recon 2 games was also IMO not that bad. I say Trilogy because many people don´t realise that aside from the name and cover Artwork the PS2 & Gamecube Version have almost nothing in common with the XBox Version. Basicly the PS2 & GC Version is the first half of the overall Storyline and the XBox Version is the 2nd half, though you IMO don´t need to play the other ones to play the game you are playing. Later the XBox got an Expansion of sorts with GR2 Summit Strike.

But I agree: After that the series went downhill very fast.

Similar with an open map structure is Hidden & Dangerous (PC, DC, PS1), though that one can get insanely hard and frustrating at points. I never played the 2nd Hidden & Dangerous so I can´t tell you what that one is like. This one is set in WW 2.

And you might whant to give Operation Flashpoint (PC, XBox) a try, it´s more modern (Cold War Era IIRC), very realistic and like Hidden & Dangerous at points frustrating and hard.

Sabkahn 4

Postby kremiso » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:04 pm

Sadly my PAL version of Ghost Recon Xbox contains also the Desert Siege maps,
so also this is played :(

Yes, i tried also the second chapter (GR2), i found it good but not VERY good as the first
(i not like the introduction here of the new visual 'on the shoulders')

thanx for the Operation Flashpoint hint, never try those games, at age on reviews
they say original game was infested of bugs, maybe new releases,
i will make a tour on google also for this game-serie :)

kremiso 6

Postby kremiso » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:32 pm

And what about the ArmA franchise ?
i was watching gameplay videos of second chapter and seems similar...

kremiso 6

Postby Sabkahn » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:18 pm

The ARMA games are essentialy the sequels to Operation Flashpoint, the developers (Bohemian Interactive) just couldn´t use the Operation Flashpoint name anymore because their old Publisher (Codemasters) owned the rights to the Flashpoint IP. Codemasters did Release 2 more Operation Flashpoint games (Dragon Rising & Red River), however those are IMO just mediocre.

Since Bohemian Interactive still owns the rights to the actual game Operation Flashpoint they are selling it nowadays as "ArmA: Cold War Assault" as part of their ongoing ArmA Series. So if you end up liking Operation Flashpoint (just grab the Goty Edition for PC from this site) you can give ArmA a try, if your PC is beefy enough to handle it.

Sabkahn 4

Postby kremiso » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:34 pm

Thanks for the explanation, Sabkhan
Ahh, bad thing, i have literally consumed the DVD of GR game... :(
and the achievement system also... simply perfect

kremiso 6

Return to General Gaming Chat