Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

The Guardian (LOL) writes a really dumb video game article

Discuss Your Favourite Games, Games You Are Currently Playing or Games You Never Want to Play Again!

The Guardian (LOL) writes a really dumb video game article

Postby VoodooVincent » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:43 pm

I think it's fair to say that The Guardian is trash journalism like most of 'em nowadays, however this article is so bad, so dumb, so intellectually dishonest that it needs to be read merely for the entertainment factor alone. That said, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, go to their website & give them clicks for this obvious clickbait.

Here's the gist:

The white male supremacy in gaming has been discussed in the context of the harassment campaign Gamergate and via the link between Trump and gamer message board threads on the 4chan website. Yet it’s not simply that many gamers are right wing, or that the right recruits gamers, but that the logic and pleasure of gaming itself has served and continues to serve the political right.

However, video games have at least two unique features compared to other media.

First, rightwing ideologies have been overrepresented and dominant throughout the history of video games. Although affected by context, video games have long focused on the expulsion of “aliens” (Space Invaders to XCOM), fear of impure infection (Half-Life to The Last of Us), border control (Missile Commander to Plants vs Zombies), territory acquisition (Command & Conquerto Splatoon), empire building (Civilization to Tropico), princess recovery (Mario to Zelda), and restoration of natural harmony (Sonic to FarmVille).

Second, video games put the user to work on an instinctual level, making the gamer feel impulsive agreement with these ideologies. Playing Resident Evil is not equivalent to watching the movie, because the controller-wielding gamer experiences the desires of the game as their own desires – not as the desires of another.

Currently, the new desires incubated by games lean far to the right, and without more progressive games on the market (though some are emerging), the future may be even bleaker than the political present.

Source: The Guardian's "Video Games Fuel Rise Far Right Violent Misogynist" (Again, LOL)

Video games are bad. Immigration laws are bad. Sovereignty & borders are bad. Republicans/conservatives are bad. LOL.

VoodooVincent 7

Re: The Guardian (LOL) writes a really dumb video game artic

Postby Sabkahn » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:37 pm

I stopped reading at "white male supremacy".

Sabkahn 5

Postby RUMBLE » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:40 pm

So video games get blamed for something else. Big surprise there....

This has been going on for over 20 years. There is a game, I believe it is called Night Trap. Probably able to DL it here on TiZ. If it is the same one that I have, there is an interview with one of the developers on one of the disks. Watch it if you want to find out how stupid and out of touch politicians are. I would have said 'were' out of touch, but most of them seem to have the opinion of which ever special interest group pays them enough money.

By today's standards, the game is just corny. Maybe back then it wasn't.....

NES, SNES
Atari Lynx
Sega Gensis (x2)
DS Lite, DSi XL (R4 cards for both of them)
3DS XL - Softmodded
PSP 1000 (x4 CFW)
PSP 2000 (x3 CFW)
PS2 Phattie (x4 All with mod chips & HDs)
PS2 Slimmy (Does movies only now)
PS2 v12 Slim (Don't know what to do with this....)
Xbox Limited Edition Mountain Dew Chipped -- Needs to be fixed, again
Xbox v1.0, soft modded
Xbox v1.0, Has R&O flashing ring
Xbox 360 (x2) -- One has an XKey in it
Wii Soft modded... (x2)
Sega Dreamcast (x2)
Sega Saturn Chipped
Another PS2 phatty with a bad laser. Needed a good home.

I ain't gettin on no plane Hannibal...
RUMBLE 5

Postby GalanDun » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:54 pm

"Games are evil" one minute

"We share no opinions with President Drumpf" the next.

Hey! I review games, movies, and books over on my website! Please check it out!
https://blogdudesvariousreviews.blogspot.com
GalanDun 8

Custom Title: White Knight of The Internet

Postby Kvothe » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:45 pm

I really hate The Guardian. They are one of the most intellectually dishonest publications out there today! But this article takes stupidity and bullshit to the next level. Like... the friggin stratosphere! XCOM is about "expulsing aliens"? Missile Command (the author even spelled it wrong) is about border control? Man, the video game industry is leftist as f**k! What do you mean we need more left leaning games? Aren't there enough already? Besides, even tho this industry full of dumb, politically correct asshats is pandering to your every SJW demands, they still need to eat, pay their bills and keep their kids in college. The only way to do that is by having gamers buy their games. But you see, here's the trick: while many of you like to kiss SJWs in the ass all day long, you can't really go full lefty with video game design, because guess what, leftist videogames are ass and sell like shit. So, while they like to virtue signal all day long and promote their "progressive" bullshit, they still need to pander to their customers, which, to their misfortune, are pretty conservative and don't like being fed leftist propaganda. Also unfortunate for them is that, while many of them hate how most gamers (and really, most decent, reasonable folk) think, they still need their money, because many of these developers are a bunch of f**king hacks who can't find success outside this industry (or at least the success and attention that their whore-like egos demand). So, sadly for you shitheads, you're stuck with us gamers who have diverse political and social opinions. :lol: Don't like it? Leave! No one's gonna miss ya! ;)

Anyways, apart from that, I have to say I am extremely shocked by what they said about XCOM. The idea that fighting aliens that want to kill and enslave humanity means expulsion is simply politically correctness gone mad! No wonder many of these lefties support violent migrants that come in Europe to bring chaos and harass honest citizens. Can't say I'm surprised, considering that in the so called "civilized" European countries you will be deemed an islamophobe for simply criticizing the behavior of radical muslims. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against muslims per se, but to think that if you criticize a member of this religion for behaving like a barbarian in society, you could end up losing your job or being excluded from certain social circles is downright depressing.

Kvothe 3

Postby Tingler42DD69 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:20 pm

Now I know what to use when I run out of toilet paper to wipe my ass with...The Guardian! :evil:

Tingler42DD69 4

Postby FFTHEWINNER » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:25 pm

Sabkahn wrote:I stopped reading at "white male supremacy".

exactly lol. do they even know that the majority of games through the years were made by,you know,japanese?or do they think japanese are "white males" too :lol:

FFTHEWINNER 9

Postby Jodo901 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:07 am

Well, I had to go to the source because I'm like that. The full article is even more sad than the quoted text. The "writer" of the article, Alfie Bown appears to be one of those bloggers who managed to get published. It's the kind of pointless writing that gets you lots of hits but has about 0 intellectual value because no conclusions are actually drawn at all. You would think an "Assistant Professor of Literature" would understand that focusing the reader on something substantial is kind of the point, but it would seem he missed that somehow.
He makes references to articles and other writer's work not to give more insight but to support his opinions, which again really don't lead anywhere. The title of the blog (it's really not an article) is "How video games are fuelling the rise of the far right". Yes fuelling, not fueling. You would think somewhere in there he would have a definitive connection to support the theme, but he doesn't.
He points in all kinds of asinine directions but draws nothing together.

:lovetiz:

I have always been here
Jodo901 9

Postby acr250rider » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:33 am

RUMBLE wrote:So video games get blamed for something else. Big surprise there....

This has been going on for over 20 years. There is a game, I believe it is called Night Trap. Probably able to DL it here on TiZ. If it is the same one that I have, there is an interview with one of the developers on one of the disks. Watch it if you want to find out how stupid and out of touch politicians are. I would have said 'were' out of touch, but most of them seem to have the opinion of which ever special interest group pays them enough money.

By today's standards, the game is just corny. Maybe back then it wasn't.....

Yeah that banning of the Night Trapp game was lead by none other than
Senator Joe Lieberman and Senator Herb Kohl. What two horrible pos. Nothing but wasting Americans hard earned tax money on shite like that. Like (FFTHEWINNER) said 90% of these games were made by Asian males, which doesn't matter to me I still enjoy them.

Spoiler:
Systems owned:
(2) Nintendo
(3) Sega Genesis/ (1) Cd /32X
(2) Super Nintendo
(2) Nintendo 64
(2) Sony PS1 1 REGULAR / 1 Chipped
(2) Soft Modded PS2 Phat
Dreamcast
Panasonic 3do
(4) soft modded Original Xbox
Pokémon Gale of Darkness Gamecube W/GBA Player.
(2) Xbox 360 1 Slim/1 Phat
(2) Ps3`s one jailbroken one not.
(2) Soft modded Wii
(2) PS4
Xbox one
(2) Wii U
Saturn (running Pseudo).
Sony PSP 6.20 Pro-B9 permanent .
acr250rider 7

Custom Title: Its all good Bro, Lets just play some games!

Postby Berzerk » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:00 am

All so called news now is pretty much agenda driven and opinionated more than ever you can thank good old Uncle Walter Cronkite for the news media we have today.

Berzerk 6

Custom Title: Go home and play with your Amiibos

Postby berani00 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:38 am

How long ago was this? Because I haven't heard of talk about gamergate since maybe 2013 and attempts to witch hunt games in general since maybe 2008?

I have both a PS2 and XBOX,
PS3, XBOX 360 and Wii,
And a PS4, XBOX ONE and Wii U
I've been addicted to gaming for 12 years+ but I don't think of myself as particularly good at them.
So don't go to me thinking I'm some god because I sure as am not.
berani00 2

Custom Title: I am faceless

Postby duwen » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:45 am

I only read The Guardians game coverage if it's written by Charlie Brooker.

My...
Spoiler:
Handhelds:
Sega Game Gear, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, GBA SP Silver Original, GBA SP JPN Famicom Edition, NDS (2xPhat, 1xLite), O3DS Arctic White, N3DS XL Metallic Blue, PS Vita

Consoles:
Master System (Mk I), Mega Drive (2xPAL, Mk I), Mega Drive (PAL Mk II), Mega CD (Mk I), SNES (2xPAL), SNES Mini/Jr (NTSC), Neo-Geo CD, Playstation, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast (1xPAL, 2xNTSC-J), Playstation 2, Gamecube (with Gameboy Player), Wii (1xWhite PAL, 1xBlack PAL), Playstation 3, Xbox 360 320Gb Slim Gears of War 3 LE, Wii U 32Gb premium, Playstation 4 Pro Star Wars LE
duwen 3

Custom Title: 絶対領域

Postby HisDivineShadow » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:41 pm

I haven't read the full article yet but by the sound of it this is just the type of reason I stopped buying newspapers for anything but wrapping kitchen waste well over a decade ago.

Editorials and articles which are little more than personal opinion, often with an agenda or ill informed to the point of ignorance masquerading as news are the bane of rational discussion.

I can honestly say that in having played games now for over 20 years any thoughts about their supposed political content or sub text have usually passed me by. Most of the people I seem to be killing in games are totalitarian military types from either end of the political spectrum. Either that or, usually white, extremists and criminals trying to undermine the democratic rule of law, their countless anonymous minions and/or gun toting psychopaths and mass murderers.

In fact I've always thought most mainstream games fight shy of dealing in political issues to avoid the possibility of offending anyone.

A good example is Far Cry 3, one of the best FPS on XB360, which actually bugged out by making the bag guys generic "pirates". I found that pretty spineless because so many potentially interesting and obvious possibilities in developing the storyline, including exploring the regional political issues which may have provoked the situation, had just been thrown away.

If Bioshock Infinite is remembered for one thing it should be its truly daring and controversial attack and clear, to all but the stupid, condemnation of American turn of the 20th century racist ideologies. That made a great impression on me because it was both subtle, disturbing and beautifully integrated into the gameplay.

The sad thing is that where they aspire to be more than just shooting galleries, apart from the newer Wolfenstein games, few go anywhere near such politically touchy subject material. That leads me to think the real danger to diversity in video games and the real world now is well meaning but increasingly dogmatic political correctness and self-censorship, not some supposed right-wing indoctrination.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby last_of_the_V8s » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:34 am

"Intellectually dishonest" doesn't even begin to describe that absolute rag of a paper nowadays.

What I find particularly amusing is the e-begging section they add onto the end of every article.

last_of_the_V8s Newbie

Postby ZX81v2 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:23 am

The Papers in UK are 99% a joke... In fact, WHY THE HELL they still print the garbage is beyond me... You can learn worldwide news, just turn computer on.

SAVE THE TREE'S ! Shut down the paper mill !

PS2 (Phat) + Network Adapter + SATA Bridge + 2TB HDD = Insanity+1 !
Wanna Know More > theisozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=49420&hilit=+sata

FreeMCBoot Installer - OPL 0.8/9 + HDL0.8c
Game Compatibility Checker. WinHIIP User
ZX81v2's MAME/ARCADE Thread Here
FreeMCBoot Install Service "UK" Thread HERE
MY PS2 OPL 0.8 HDD Game Compatibility List Click Here 100% Safe

Latest MESS/MAME Roms : Retroroms.info < NEW SITE !

ImageImageImageImage

If you are/WERE a PS2 Developer please check PS2Home out !
Designed & (C)2013-2017 by ZX81v2
ZX81v2 Moderator

Custom Title: R Tape Loading Err0r

Postby last_of_the_V8s » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:27 am

ZX81v2 wrote:The Papers in UK are 99% a joke... In fact, WHY THE HELL they still print the garbage is beyond me...

couldn't agree more

last_of_the_V8s Newbie

Return to General Gaming Chat