Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Crazy Taxi 2 issue?

Are you having Dreamcast Hardware Problems? Trouble Emulating or Playing a Game? Ask our Dreamcast experts here!

Crazy Taxi 2 issue?

Postby THE_MOIST_INTRUDER » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:05 pm

I tried out Elektrodog's rip of Crazy Taxi 2 and my Dreamcast just couldn't handle it. It plays everything else I throw at it but this it doesn't seem to like. It boots, but the Dreamcast sounds like it's having holes drilled into it while it loads and plays; the laser just goes nuts with movement. It got me questioning if it was the rip or my Dreamcast...

When the game plays it cannot stream the data from the disk quick enough, and the backgrounds fail to load in time rendering it unplayable. Even if it would play, I would fear for the lifespan of the system, and I can see now why some folks think playing burned backups can shorten the life of Dreamcasts!

Slipped in the (non backup) version of Crazy Taxi 1 after and it was whisper quiet in comparison!

Has anyone had the same issues? Are there any better versions out there that anyone knows of? I noticed there was sadly no atreyu187 or noBS versions. :(

Does anyone know if the 9 year old(!) hooliganz alternative works better? Don't fancy risking burning another coaster.

Thanks y'all!

THE_MOIST_INTRUDER Newbie

Re: Crazy Taxi 2 issue?

Postby mistamontiel » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:59 pm

I think I can find it elsewhere ..

Question

Must it be 50hz must it be PAL format ? er are you playing from VGA 480 progressive scan ?

EDIT: Even better , I found it by DCCM which means all regions in the one archive , I also see NTSC-J variant by yzb that apparently is everything unlocked , but the URL points to wrong file :?

Check your PM inbox !

Burns shouldn't hurt your Dreamcast unit , if it's an ancient rip likely it is not optimized and will hurt , the blank media you use can wear it down , you want Taiyo Yuden highly reflective the better :)

mistamontiel 5

Custom Title: ..!!

Postby kittyflin » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:43 pm

my crazy taxi 2 is the same takes 2 mins of awful screeching to load,and that's not the electro dog remix either

kittyflin 5

Postby THE_MOIST_INTRUDER » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:12 pm

The DCCM version is a million times better. Thanks so much for the tip!

The laser seemed much happier while loading up and playing.

It still had some issues with not being able to load some of the buildings/backgrounds in time, but it was infinitely more tolerable than the Elektrodog version. Something tells me that this limited popup issue may just be quirk of the game when you build up some speed.

Now the only problem I have is trying to get One Fine Day by the Offspring out of my head! It's one of those songs that you just know is garbage (and I even like the Offspring), but is a total earworm!

Thanks again!

THE_MOIST_INTRUDER Newbie

Return to Troubleshooting