Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Xbox component cable pink screen

Having hardware or Software issues with your Xbox console? Ask our experts here!

Xbox component cable pink screen

Postby medgarc » Fri May 19, 2017 6:16 pm

Hello everyone, I am a long standing diy-er when it comes to modding and jailbreaking consoles, I've always been able to divine an answer from the use of google or this forum, but im afraid im gonna have to post my problem because i cant seem to find anyone else with the same problem or a solution to it, here goes..

I recently bought an original xbox and successfully softmodded it using Slayer's EvoX auto installer disc(which I got here at TiZ) to install unleashx as my dashboard, and subsequently ftp'd the games and emulators i wanted after i had upgraded to a 250gig IDE drive(hotswapped and rebuilt with XboxHDM), all working perfectly.

I decided to get a cheap component cable from amazon, knowing full well that it might be a waste of money, enabled 480 720 and 1080 resolutions in the ms dashboard, as well as in the system settings for unleashx itself, but when i plug in the component cables i get an entirely pink and grey color output on screen--what seems to be that red is working and the other colors arent displaying properly, im not sure.

anyway i save up for an xbox hd av cable and buy some nice shielded component cables with it, and i get the same result! the weird thing is that the xbox logo loads up in full green color when i power the system on, but my unleash x dashboard, which is essentially the same color green, is still pink. When i boot up games from my drive they're pink as well.

Im at a loss, im hoping the issue is not with the xbox itself but i'm hard pressed for answers here...any help would be greatly appreciated..this place has helped me so much over the years..would be great if you could help me once again, thanks

medgarc

medgarc Newbie

Re: Xbox component cable pink screen

Postby kaos_engr » Fri May 19, 2017 6:33 pm

Can you try a set of SD (Red/White/Yellow) AV cables? Boot the Xbox see if the colors are okay, then power down and change back to the component cable.

The startup screen is in standard definition thus the colors are correct once the Xbox switches to high-def the colors mess up.

kaos_engr 6

Postby medgarc » Fri May 19, 2017 6:46 pm

Yeah my bad forgot to say I have the standard Xbox av cables and they still work fine on several tvs and one computer monitor I tried it on, I can still use all of my Xbox's functions too, I can even navigate the dashboard and do everything with the component cables as I can with the standard av it's just that the screen is pink

That being said, it's definitely is displaying in high definition, the resolution even just in the dashboard is much higher, just entirely pink

Also I don't know if this is related but when I change the resolution settings in ms dashboard after changing them in unleashx, it will display in hd, but after a reboot the ms dashboard settings will revert to the default "no" for 480 720 and 1080 even though they remain "yes" in unleashx..

Sorry for the wordiness this is my first post I just wanna give all the info I can

And thanks

medgarc Newbie

Postby scorpNZ » Fri May 19, 2017 7:00 pm

Re check the connection of the hd cable to the rear of the xbox,be gentle & make sure its a tight flush fit,if the connector is not evenly flush with the xbox it will do what you describe.

Remove the extension cable you bought & use the xbox hd cable only till this issue is sorted

To make high res stick you need to save before exiting unleash,so set res then scroll down till you see the save option.

You might want to check if a softmod requires editing of some sort of config file before high res can be made to stick

scorpNZ 5

Postby kaos_engr » Fri May 19, 2017 10:23 pm

Slayer's softmod package may be the problem. I'd suggest obtaining Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool Extras Disc ISO and burn it to DVD-R.

Boot it (on one of my Xbox's it refuses to boot without first adding an additional 2GB dummy file to the image) and follow the menus to upgrade your older softmod to his latest 2017 updated release.

I may not change anything. :D But, it can't hurt! :D -- Well that may be a bit of a stretch!

kaos_engr 6

Postby HisDivineShadow » Fri May 19, 2017 11:11 pm

I'd just think this has been set up in SD if it wasn't for the fact that the Component connections are obviously displaying the SD start up 'flubber' OK. Why then is it not displaying correctly in 480p, 720p or 1080i because that must be what it is try to use for the main dash?

I'd check it isn't a 1080i problem. Switch that option off, you won't want to use it when you see the effect it has when navigating through UnleashX. Reboot and see what happens.

Does the third party cable itself perhaps have a SD RGB, S-Video/YPbPr switch?

Have to ask: are you sure you haven't plugged the red right stereo lead in the AV red phono jack socket or made some other simple mistake like that?

The colour display description makes it sound as though something like this may be going on ie. either the Pb or Pr connection is faulty or reversed. So if not a user error could the 'cheap' cable itself be at fault or the Xbox connector plug not fitted properly as others here have suggested?

Swapping the resolution Is a protected feature with some softmods as you can get into trouble if for example you're using a monitor, which only supports progressive scan, resolutions and you switch the video settings to SD or the region to PAL.

Even with an SD cable and TV you're still in trouble because the ED/HD resolution options can be accessed when using a a SD cable. But you can edit the UnleashX Config.xml preferences and that should stick on reboot.

As kaos_engr has just suggested Slayers could be the problem. The manual specifically warns against using it for softmods and either HeXEn, AID or, the forum favourite, Rocky5's 2016 Softmod what should have been used. Swapping to/from the SD/HD settings so they're fixed on reboot is safeguarded but can be enabled from the main menu.

Whether it is OK to use the 2016 Softmod to update a Slayers 'softmod' I don't know, you'll have to hope Rocky5 is about to answer that. But I wouldn't trust AID to do it.

My first guess is that this is cable or set up fault though so don't mess with the softmod until you're certain it isn't either. But once sorted I'd then suggest considering updating it.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby ClassicGamer90 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:14 pm

I had something very similar happen to me, I purchased the cheap component cables and I had this weird effect on my screen where lines would constantly flicker down the screen and it was annoying. So I purchased the official component cables (the actual cables, not the box) and I had the same problem with the lines but this time games were displaying in a yellowish green color.

I feared it was my Xbox but I did some troubleshooting and tried it on a different TV with component and it was perfect, my HDTV uses component to a single jack so I thought maybe the jack was just worn out.

I decided to clean the component connections on both the cables and my TV using alcohol to see if that would fix the issue and when I tried it everything was perfect.

Its most likely either your component jacks on your TV are dirty or there's a problem with the 3rd party cables.

Systems I own:

Spoiler:
x2 NES
x2 SNES (Orig. & mini)
x1 Super Famicom
x2 Sega Genesis
x2 Nintendo 64
x3 PlayStation (Slim, orig., & orig. w/chip & clear blue shell)
x1 Sega Saturn
x4 Sega Dreamcast (1 w/ clear blue shell)
x2 GameCube (Xeno chip)
x1 GB
x1 GB Pocket
x2 GBC
x2 GBA
x1 GBA SP
x4 PlayStation 2 (2 orig. & 2 slim)
x1 Original Xbox (250GB HDD & UnleashX)
x1 Xbox 360 (Star Wars 320GB)
x1 PlayStation 3 (1TB)
x1 Wii (soft modded, 1TB HDD)
x1 Wii U
x1 DS Lite
x1 DSi XL
x1 3DS XL
X1 PS Vita
x2 PSP (1000, 3000 w/CFW)
x1 Neo Geo X
x1 Retro Freak
ClassicGamer90 4

Postby medgarc » Fri May 19, 2017 11:52 pm

alright I checked that it isn't a 1080i problem, after switching that setting off ( including in the config.xml i.e. Use1080I="no")

the cable itself has no switch and clearly separates the 3 video cables from the two audio so im pretty certain its not that, and also seems to be flush to the back of the xbox and firmly connected.

I cleaned both the xbox and cord side of the connector port with alcohol and still the problem persists :(

Anyway I've downloaded Rocky5's softmodding tools and I'm going to wait for a response from him for a bit before i try it for myself

much love for Theisozone :lovetiz: and much obliged

medgarc Newbie

Postby Rocky5 » Sat May 20, 2017 12:26 am

Use the disc or the "quick upgrade.zip" to change to mine. Instructions are included.

It updates all softmods without issue.

Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby medgarc » Sat May 20, 2017 1:13 am

Wow that worked perfectly!
After the upgrade I plugged in the cable and presto! Full color, just needed to change the settings to get hd and now I'm in heaven

I never imagined I'd fix the problem in just a day, or that everyone would be so supportive, this is an impressive community and knowledge base youve cultivated here and I just can't thank you all enough for your help!!

medgarc Newbie

Postby scorpNZ » Sat May 20, 2017 1:48 am

I sense your migraine is slowly residing :mrgreen:

scorpNZ 5

Postby kaos_engr » Sat May 20, 2017 3:03 am

I'd found a post of someone having wierd color problems, not exactly as you described, with nDure NKpatcher RGB option enabled with their component cables. It was a setting in NKP that needed to be changed to fix it.

I thought it best to use Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool instead of trying to adjusting a setting in an older softmod.

Happy days! :D

kaos_engr 6

Postby HisDivineShadow » Sat May 20, 2017 3:31 am

It would be interesting to understand what exactly caused the original problem. A softmod fault or use of a particular video output setting during the install.

Not knowing Slayers its difficult to speculate but the description does suggest that either the Component Pb or Pr video output channnel were disabled or reversed. That didn't make sense when I thought about it. But this does I think:-

I wondering if it was outputting S-Video. That seems to fit the facts: the Y (Luma) is common to both Component and S-Video (pin 11) and S-Video's C (Chroma) outputs on the same pin as Component's Pr (pin 22). But S-Video only shares those two pins meaning the Pb pin (pin 9) wouldn't be carrying any signal if the Xbox was outputing S-Video.

The result would be a red biased display just as if the Component cable's Pb (Blue) jack plug wasn't attached.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby kaos_engr » Sat May 20, 2017 4:29 am

The posting I had found stated that the modder enabled RGB mode for NKPatcher when softmodding with nDure+xboxHDM. Colors were correct when using the composite SD A/V cables but were messed up trying to use component cables. Once they disabled that mode, colors were displayed correctly with component cables.

kaos_engr 6

Postby HisDivineShadow » Sat May 20, 2017 1:09 pm

I was thinking, again, about this and that makes more sense. I tested my S-Video theory simply by pulling the blue Component jack out and I soon realised if it had been that it wouldn't have resulted in a red bias. When you do this the reds tend towards magenta and greens towards cyan. I was forgetting Component is a subtractive colour system.

In RGB mode the same three outpins are used as for Component Pr(R) pin 22, Y(G) pin 11 and Pb(B) pin 9. Presumably the Xbox softmod RGB option is set up to send R, G, B signals to those pins rather than Component and the result is the colour bias described.

What I still can understand is why the MS 'flubber' apparently displayed correctly when using a Component cable. It suggests the RGB mode only kicks in after the dash loads because Component can't be displaying Composite video, it must be SD YPbPr.

Quite why you need a specific RGB softmod mode I've never understood either. I've used RGB SCART cables for years with SID/AID softmods and never had to change any settings when swapping from RGB SCART to Component.

Before anyone suggests the RGB SCART cables are just displaying in Composite they're wrong. The difference in PQ between Composite and RGB via SCART is very obvious.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby Rocky5 » Sat May 20, 2017 1:55 pm

The issue is they probably selected the HD option when softmodding the system, it's labelled wrong in a few softmods as it implies HD resolutions when in fact it forces the VGA mode, and this is only meant for VGA displays that support the sync on green signal.
( you end up with a green screen or a pink one )

SID ( not sure if they all do ) force 480p by default so there is no need to have the option. In doing so it causes confusion when giving an option for HD :/

XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby kaos_engr » Sat May 20, 2017 3:34 pm

Is this statement incorrect:
kaos_engr wrote:The startup screen is in standard definition thus the colors are correct once the Xbox switches to high-def the colors mess up.

Posted earlier in this thread.

I was just reading this NKP11 option RGB on Rocky5's github:

From version 10 to version 10-vga6:
* Added force RGB video feature. This will patch kernel system call AvSetDisplayMode to configure GPU for RGsB signal if HDTV AV pack is detected. Intended for connecting the Xbox to VGA monitor. Connect AV pack Y output to monitor green input, Cr to monitor red input and Cb to monitor blue input. The monitor must support sync on green. If your monitor does not support sync on green, special sync separator circuit is required.

Durring presentation of the flubber, has NKP patched the kernel? If not, the flubber would be correctly displayed. Where in the bootup process does code operation transfer from BIOS to dashboard? (running from BIOS to running from HDD executables). Or, does the BIOS get copied to RAM and always has some control?

kaos_engr 6

Postby Rocky5 » Sat May 20, 2017 4:29 pm

kaos_engr wrote:Is this statement incorrect:
kaos_engr wrote:The startup screen is in standard definition thus the colors are correct once the Xbox switches to high-def the colors mess up.

Posted earlier in this thread.

I was just reading this NKP11 option RGB on Rocky5's github:

From version 10 to version 10-vga6:
* Added force RGB video feature. This will patch kernel system call AvSetDisplayMode to configure GPU for RGsB signal if HDTV AV pack is detected. Intended for connecting the Xbox to VGA monitor. Connect AV pack Y output to monitor green input, Cr to monitor red input and Cb to monitor blue input. The monitor must support sync on green. If your monitor does not support sync on green, special sync separator circuit is required.

Durring presentation of the flubber, has NKP patched the kernel? If not, the flubber would be correctly displayed. Where in the bootup process does code operation transfer from BIOS to dashboard? (running from BIOS to running from HDD executables). Or, does the BIOS get copied to RAM and always has some control?

NKPatcher is loaded after the XLOGO screen, basically what happened is the Xboxdash.xbe is loaded ( this is the universal 4920 XBL dash file ) it loads the ernie.xtf this then patches the system RCA key to allow the habibi key signed xbe to be loaded and then loads a predefined xbe. In our case this is nkpatcher, this then patched the kernel in memory ( so this is when the video signal is patched eg.... ) and then loads a predefined xbe, usually your dashboard.

That's basically the softmod in a nutshell :lol: note: loading an original game will load before the softmod ( green LED ) and this is how folk used to update/remove there softmods, I fixed that by modifying the xodash xbe file to have the same header as the latest 5960 dash and it makes the system reboot, instead of updating the dash files.

XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby kaos_engr » Sat May 20, 2017 5:49 pm

OK, so flubber & X-logo will show up correctly, whether they are displayed in SD or HD format I'm not 100% sure, with either composite or component cable attached as they are pre-patch.

And, if NKP HD (RGB) is enabled and component cable connected; once the dashboard displays, colors will be wrong on an HDTV as it's for VGA monitor operation not a TV.

kaos_engr 6

Postby XboxGuy95 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:05 am

I apologize for the slight necro, but i'm having the same exact problem. Got a softmodded Xbox off a friend of mine with UnleashX installed. Upon hooking it up for the first time - the screen had a bright green tinge to it. After reading the post about the confusing HD option, I redid the softmod as virtual C+ eeprom RGB - now the screen is pink & purple. I returned the set of cables thinking they're defective and brought some other ones (not shipped yet) but I think it's something regarding the softmod on the console now. I'll know for sure once the other cables I ordered get here. I should also mention my TV recognizes the input as "COMP" and not "RGB".
The inputs on the rear of my TV look like this - see the attachment. The RGB/Composite inputs are combined (green also functions as yellow) - this can't be the problem, right?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by XboxGuy95 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
XboxGuy95 2

Next

Return to Troubleshooting