Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Lost Softmod using Rocky5's installer

Having hardware or Software issues with your Xbox console? Ask our experts here!

Lost Softmod using Rocky5's installer

Postby Sanman » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:11 am

I acquired a softmodded xbox with a 250 gb hdd. The softmod was old, the colors had a green tint to them, so I decided to update it. I know the video cable is good because I have another xbox that works great with the same cable. The DVD doesn't work so I backed up the eeprom via ftp to my computer along with the games that were saved on the hdd. I then ftp'd over the installer iso and ran it from the hdd on the xbox. I wanted to update the older softmod and all seemed to be going well. An error came up at the end (now I don't remember what it was) and I had the option to "get me out of here", so I did. The xbox rebooted, at least it tried to, but no dash. It now comes up with error 14.

I took out the dvd from my working xbox and used it on the now "broken" one, burned the installer iso and tried it, but error 14 persists. I did put in an original xbox game and it boots up fine.

What are my options?

Sanman 2

Re: Lost Softmod using Rocky5's installer

Postby kaos_engr » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:51 am

Not sure, mixed dashboard files from a couple different versions now on the HDD?

Rocky5 will know.

You might use Halo2 or other original game disc released after halo 2 with dashupdate.xbe on it. See if it'll update the dashboard. Disconnect the network cable first and try to go onto Xbox Live. The dashboard updater should run and install dashboard version 1.00.5960.01 to the C drive.

Then, re-softmod with Xbox Softmodding Tool v1.1.2

Or, wait for Rocky5 he stops by regularly and see how he tells you to fix it!

kaos_engr 6

Postby qedeshim » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:18 am

Check if the installer will boot with dvd drive in the other xbox? It might be the drive doesn't like the dvd + or - that you're using. Or if you have other dvd's try whichever the one you are using now isn't? Also some drives will work with dvd rw and some won't so if you're using one that could be the problem?

As for why it won't let you update with Rocky5's awesome tool? I'm not sure? I had an xbox that didn't want to update using it. For me I returned the console to stock and then remodded it and it worked. But before you do that you can wait for Rocky5 to respond to this thread he's always really helpful and knows the nuances of his tool better than anyone else.

qedeshim 5

Postby Sanman » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:07 am

I tried a few different "Live" games, hoping the MSdash would reinstall/repair, but nothing changed. I also hooked up the dvd player to the working xbox and tried the installer disk; it booted up beautifully. I plan to update the working Xbox too, but I want to get this one working first.

Years ago when I modded my first xbox I used the hotswap technique. It wouldn't be hard to rebuild the hdd hotswapping again, but I don't have that old computer anymore. Of course I've since updated all the computers at work to SATA motherboards, so I can't use any of them either. Finding one that still used ide would not be impossible, just really inconvenient. Any one have luck with adapters?

I was thinking maybe I could hotswap the hdd over to the working xbox and use the installer tool. Then I thought that I should stop thinking and just wait for some additional wisdom before I muck it up worse.

Sanman 2

Postby Rocky5 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:39 am

Wish people would stop when an error appears and contact me ASAP, this is the second person this has happened to.

If you have one of the softmod games you can load the save, but if it failed at the beginning the it’s hotswapping. The first thing I do when you press (A) to install the upgrade is install the softmod saves and asoon as that done install the softmod files so if something goes wrong your safe.

Where did you put the extras disc ISO? and how much space did you have left on E?

what version did you try to install?

Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby HisDivineShadow » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:50 pm

I'd also ask if, when using the known good DVD drive and disc in the "broken" one , if it was cold booted?

Error 14 is most often what you get when the dashboard is missing or can't be loaded for some other reason (renamed for instance) but if the softmod is intact cold booting a disc might still work.

What about the FTP access which was reported working in the original post? Has that been tried again since the problem occurred?

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby Sanman » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:29 pm

I have Mech Assault but running the Linux option returns an error 21.
I ftp'd the extras iso to F: and ran it from there.
The E: was full so I deleted the apps folder, a couple of game folders and a couple of xbmc folders (xbmc was not the default dash).
After a game boots up, when I remove the disk I get error 13.
Cold booting to the extras disk gives error 14
No, I cannot access the xbox via ftp anymore.

I'll spend some time today locating and old computer and read up on xboxhdm.

Sanman 2

Postby HisDivineShadow » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:31 pm

I don't think you'll necessarily need the old PC. With the second Xbox and hot-swapping there are several other paths open to try since you have the eeprom.

But I'd recommend waiting for Rocky5 to get back to you. He might have some other ideas on how to fix this and advice on the best course of action in these circumstances.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby Sanman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:01 am

Well, for the life of me I could not get one new iso of Xboxhdm to work for me. I downloaded 1.9 from two different sources, prepared the iso and burned it with isoburn and then imgburn; used cd's and dvd's, two different computers, and three different drives. That wasn't enough pain for me so I tried 2.2 and 2.3, but they didn't work. One problem is the old computer with the IDE slot has Windows Server 2003 as the OS, and did not work with 2.2 or 2.3. Lucky for me I still had some old Xboxhdm 1.7 disks burned from years ago and found one with the right kernel.

The Xbox HDD is now rebuilt, softmodded with Ndure, and running like before. Now I still need to update the softmod. The problem is that it still has a green tint to it once the softmod boots up. What do you suggest I try? And what version of windows works with Xboxhdm 2.3?

Sanman 2

Postby Rocky5 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:47 pm

If it’s fixed use the quick upgrade.zip from the v1.1.2 build folder ( installer variants )

Since it’s a clean HDD you shouldn’t have any issues this time. Don’t use the disc/iso, because of what happened last time.

XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby Sanman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:41 am

Well, I'm having the time of my life! (insert sarcasm) I tried the upgrade.zip. It ran, appeared to do everything it wanted, but then returned me to the beginning again. So, I elected to upgrade once more and it did the same thing. No errors. I rebooted the Xbox to be greeted with error 21. Rebuilt the drive with the old ndure softmod and then tried the extras disk just for fun. Same as before with error 14. Rebuilt the drive again with ndure and then tried the Mech Assault exploit. That had errors also. Rebuilt the drive again, with only stock, no mods; put the save game exploits on and WAS going to run Mech Assault until I CRACKED THE DVD PRYING THE DVD OUT OF THE CASE!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: My son asks me, "Why didn't you just press it in the middle? It comes out easy....See."

Anyway, as I'm rebuilding the drive again with ndure, do you have any more suggestions. Even though this is frustrating, for some reason it's fun for me.

Sanman 2

Postby Rocky5 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:59 am

Sanman wrote:Well, I'm having the time of my life! (insert sarcasm) I tried the upgrade.zip. It ran, appeared to do everything it wanted, but then returned me to the beginning again. So, I elected to upgrade once more and it did the same thing. No errors. I rebooted the Xbox to be greeted with error 21. Rebuilt the drive with the old ndure softmod and then tried the extras disk just for fun. Same as before with error 14. Rebuilt the drive again with ndure and then tried the Mech Assault exploit. That had errors also. Rebuilt the drive again, with only stock, no mods; put the save game exploits on and WAS going to run Mech Assault until I CRACKED THE DVD PRYING THE DVD OUT OF THE CASE!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: My son asks me, "Why didn't you just press it in the middle? It comes out easy....See."

Anyway, as I'm rebuilding the drive again with ndure, do you have any more suggestions. Even though this is frustrating, for some reason it's fun for me.

What do you mean returned you to the beginning? it should restart the system after the install.

Can you record a video of the process please, so I can better troubleshoot this, as you’re the only one that I know of that has this issue.
( launching the default.xbe inside the E:\Quick Upgrade\ directory, doing the upgrade and what happens after, should only take about 4 mins total )

I would like to nip this in the bud so to speak, I don’t want anyone else having this issue if I can fix it if it is an issue with the installer.

Now you are selecting the default.xbe and not the unleash.xbe?

XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby Sanman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:10 am

Sanman 2

Postby Rocky5 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:04 am

Thank you.

Can you disable 1080i in UnleashX settings please. As it looks like it’s running out of memory and crashing. ( due to the BFM bios it will just release UX )

Now I’m assuming you’re running 1080i since the dialogs ( question boxes ) are slow when entering the screen, this shouldn’t be the case and only happens when in 1080i mode.

XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby Sanman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:53 pm

Do I have to manually disable the 1080i in the UnleashX settings, or can I just use a composite cable?

Sanman 2

Postby amiga1200 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:03 pm

shouldn't need to, CVBS/composite video is always on output from a da$h perspective.
can't account for rocky's mod (SPPV user :spliff: ) but i doubt very much you'd have a bsod if not undoing 1080i.
keep in mind, you won't see 1080i if using a CVBS cable.

:(
Spoiler:
THIS ACCOUNT IS COMMITTED TO REACTOR COOLANT PURGE!
YOU HAVE ONE MINUTE TO ABANDON SHIP!
THE SHIP WILL AUTOMATICALLY DESTRUCT IN T-1 MINUTE!
amiga1200 13

Custom Title: banned

Postby Rocky5 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:36 pm

Sanman wrote:Do I have to manually disable the 1080i in the UnleashX settings, or can I just use a composite cable?

Disable it in the UnleashX setting or use composit cables. Both will disable HD resolutions.

If that doesn’t fix it I may know what the issues is, someone else had an issue with it doing this and it was the xboxdash.rar that caused it, it worked on all my Xbox but for some reason his it crashed. ( froze ) I cannot recreate this issue on any Xbox I have and it’s only happen one other time, I send him a new files.zip and it fixed the issue.

amiga1200 wrote:shouldn't need to, CVBS/composite video is always on output from a da$h perspective.
can't account for rocky's mod (SPPV user :spliff: ) but i doubt very much you'd have a bsod if not undoing 1080i.
keep in mind, you won't see 1080i if using a CVBS cable.

The issue is UX in 1080i uses almost all the memory free for other tasks and images.
It’s why in the video you see UX shudder when the dialog pops in, FPS drops.

I use a custom skin instead of the stock skin, so mine will use a little more memory than the stock skin for UX, not much but it may be causing the issue here.

XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby Sanman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:40 am

I disabled the 1080i in settings and rebooted the xbox. Then I ftp'd over the upgrade folder and ran it. It ran just like before, resetting back to the beginning. I still have the xbox running and still have ftp access to it.

Sanman 2

Postby Rocky5 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:14 am

Sanman wrote:I disabled the 1080i in settings and rebooted the xbox. Then I ftp'd over the upgrade folder and ran it. It ran just like before, resetting back to the beginning. I still have the xbox running and still have ftp access to it.

I will send to you a new build via PM.

XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby Sanman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:29 pm

I received the link to the new build and downloaded it. The Xbox is still running from the last try so I deleted the old upgrade folder and ftp'd over the new build and continued the upgrade. Same result. I need to get to work, so tonight I'll rebuild the drive again with xboxhdm and try the upgrade again "clean".

Sanman 2

Next

Return to Troubleshooting