Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Lost Softmod using Rocky5's installer

Having hardware or Software issues with your Xbox console? Ask our experts here!

Re: Lost Softmod using Rocky5's installer

Postby Sanman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:09 am

Just finished rebuilding the drive and attempted the upgrade again, same result as it crashed on xboxdash.rar like before.

Sanman 2

Postby Rocky5 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:39 am

Did you do what I asked in the PM?

Also what type of drive, IDE cable, Xbox versions eg...

Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby Sanman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:30 pm

Yes, I downloaded the test zip you prepared for me and used it. The drive is a Maxtor, IDE, the Xbox kernel is 5838, version 1.6.

I was thinking that maybe my old xboxhdm disk that I've been using to build the drive is what is corrupted, and it might be skipping a file or placing a corrupted file(s) in the softmod. So I'm going to find, download, and create a new xboxhdm disk to rebuild the drive. Then hopefully I can run your upgrade without errors.

Sanman 2

Postby Rocky5 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:51 pm

Sanman wrote:Yes, I downloaded the test zip you prepared for me and used it. The drive is a Maxtor, IDE, the Xbox kernel is 5838, version 1.6.

I was thinking that maybe my old xboxhdm disk that I've been using to build the drive is what is corrupted, and it might be skipping a file or placing a corrupted file(s) in the softmod. So I'm going to find, download, and create a new xboxhdm disk to rebuild the drive. Then hopefully I can run your upgrade without errors.

"XBHDM Build.zip"?

You haven't checked you PM, I send you another with instructions.

XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby Sanman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:12 pm

I stand corrected. I had not noticed you sent me another PM. I'll try that tonight when I get home.

Sanman 2

Postby Sanman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:37 am

I created a new XBHDM disk with your C: files in it and nothing in E: and rebuilt the drive. I just tried it out and it booted directly to the upgrade softmod screen. I pressed A to continue and it appeared to upgrade. I assume that it went through the whole process because when it finished it automatically rebooted. But it rebooted to error 21.

Sanman 2

Postby Rocky5 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:55 am

Somethings wrong here and it’s not the installer. Stuff is getting corrupted on that drive.

There is no reason that 3 different builds that install differently are all falling.

The XBHDM Build, install directly to C. Can you done one more thing please. After its installed and before you pressed A to reboot the console, can you take a snapshot of the C and E partitions and send me them please, or a video if it’s easier for you.

I will also do one more build after, with no rar files at all.

But something is wrong and to be honest I haven’t a clue what, maybe the IDE cable?

XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby Sanman » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:22 am

I can't provide you with any info after the install and before the reboot because there is no pause between them. The xbox automatically reboots. I could pull the power right when it tries to reboot.

However, I did pull the drive, unlocked it and extracted the partitions 0-4. Then I uploaded them to my Google drive for you to see. I'm hoping that is helpful. I'll send you a PM with the link.

Sanman 2

Postby Sanman » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:50 am

I just noticed that the PM I sent is still in the Outbox. I don't know what to do to get it to send.

Sanman 2

Postby Rocky5 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:49 pm

I’m from the UK, so there will be times I don’t reply as I’m sleeping lol I got your PM, though I never got an email to say I had a message, or I would have got it sooner.

XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby Sanman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:35 pm

I made some progress over the weekend, but still have some work to do. I did some additional reading and decided to give HeXen a try. So, I rebuilt my drive with XBHDM and booted up HeXen. I tried the Kingroach & Krayzie installers and both ended with errors just like the Rocky5 installer did before. I did have some success running the exploit option. That gave me the option to install a basic or minimum softmod. I first tried the basic and it failed, but the minimum install actually worked.

The Xbox rebooted and for the first time the colors were correct and crisp. At that time I put in the Rocky5 disk and installed XBMC as the dash, rebooted and everything looks and runs beautiful. I was going to ftp over all the games, emulators, movies etc, but noticed that the 250 GB hdd was only partitioned for 8 GB (assuming that happened during the minimal installation of the softmod). I opened up Xpartitioner, but didn't see a way to increase the total combined size of the partitions. So it feels like I took two steps forward, and one step back.

Sanman 2

Postby HisDivineShadow » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:18 pm

That should be easy enough to sort out.

C & E (X, Y and Z too) are all effectively fixed volume partitions. All you should need to do is use Chimp 261812 or the already mentioned XBPartitioner v1.3 to create and format an extended partition ie. F drive. There's not much point with a 250GB HDD creating a G drive too but how you want it partitioned is up to you.

Chimp 261812 is the more user friendly tool, better GUI and most recently updated thanks to your our good friend here: Rocky5. :).

Once done the new F:\drive with your missing HDD space should show show up in the XBMC File Manager after reboot.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby Rocky5 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:20 am

There is something up with the Xbox or HDD :lol:

Found out that if dualbooting is enabled in NKPatcher and you have a dodgy drive you may get failed boots and other strange issues.

Guy on reddit had this issue the other day. We got got it fixed and narrowed it down to the dualbooting feature of NKPatcher causing the issues for him. His drive was goosed though, error 12 if it wasn’t ejected and it wouldn’t close when power on.

So I may do one more update and disable dualbootig in the xbe file and just patch it when someone wants it enabled. Like I do for partition type changes.

XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby Sanman » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:50 pm

Done! I finally relented to the fact that the best way for me to get my Xbox updated to the latest softmod was to do it from stock. I rebuilt the drive to stock and ordered Splinter Cell. I swapped in a working DVD drive and used the Rocky5 exploit with no problems. Then rebooted the Xbox and put in the Rocky5 Extras Disk and added all the bells and whistles. Everything works great! Thank you for all the help, especially Rocky5.

Taking the long route to get here wasn't so bad. It felt like working on a puzzle and placing the last piece was quite satisfying. I've learned a lot. Thank you again!

Sanman 2

Postby Rocky5 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:29 pm

If you want the latest unreleased version let me know, I fixed UnleashX Build 584 Filezilla compatibility.

XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby Rocky5 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:10 pm

never mind, patching the xbe fixes Filezilla but breaks all other FTP programs :lol:

OK another update, got it working with filezilla and flashfxp, winscp doesnt want to play ball though.

XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby Rocky5 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:20 pm

OK patched UX build 584 to fix the filezilla and winscp issues. It now works on all FTP programs.

XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby Sanman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:45 pm

I would like the unreleased version. I have 3 more Xbox's to mod, so I might as well use the latest and greatest!

Sanman 2

Previous

Return to Troubleshooting