Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Samsung drives actually suck

Having hardware or Software issues with your Xbox console? Ask our experts here!

Samsung drives actually suck

Postby ThruMy4Eyes » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:57 pm

So the common consensus around the internet is that the Samsung DVD drives in the OG Xbox was the best and could read just about all discs. So why is it I have 3 Xboxes here, all with Samsung drives where the ejecting gets stuck often AND they can't read a disc to save their life? Meanwhile I have one box with a Thompson drive that is MORE than happy to read any DVD I throw at it?

Is there any way to sure fire get these drives working? What are the chances they just need an alcohol swab to the lense? I've always been skeptical that is all it takes...

ThruMy4Eyes 3

Re: Samsung drives actually suck

Postby Gamerone » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:35 pm

I have two samsung drives both different one went bust. it only reads cd-r cd-rw now
the other still works fine it can read dvd+r dvd-r never made to read cds
I have a thompson it works ok just reads dvd-r
The best one I got is a Phillips it can read all dvds and cds
heres the two different samsung drives i have

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'M ONE WHO LIKES TO PLAY GAMES™ :yoshi: :1up: MARIO WORLD
MARIO'S DREAM GIRL :question: :mario: :oldmario: MARIO BROS
Spoiler:
MAMA MIA!!!!!!! ::mariohead:
Gamerone 5

Postby Dildo_Schwaggins » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:43 pm

Since it is an internal drive the chances are low that cleaning the lens will help much, but I might still try it, gotta buy a cd lens cleaner disc.

Depends how much a replacement drive costs I guess.

Probably the drives broke from so much use.

Dildo_Schwaggins 4

Postby kaos_engr » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:53 pm

Gamerone wrote:I have two samsung drives both different one went bust. it only reads cd-r cd-rw now
the other still works fine it can read dvd+r dvd-r never made to read cds
I have a thompson it works ok just reads dvd-r
The best one I got is a Phillips it can read all dvds and cds
heres the two different samsung drives i have

Nice, you have one of each version Samsung DVD drive used in the Xbox: SDG-605B (first version released) and SDG-605F (second version released).

kaos_engr 7

Postby kaos_engr » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:59 pm

ThruMy4Eyes wrote:So the common consensus around the internet is that the Samsung DVD drives in the OG Xbox was the best and could read just about all discs. So why is it I have 3 Xboxes here, all with Samsung drives where the ejecting gets stuck often AND they can't read a disc to save their life? Meanwhile I have one box with a Thompson drive that is MORE than happy to read any DVD I throw at it?

Is there any way to sure fire get these drives working? What are the chances they just need an alcohol swab to the lense? I've always been skeptical that is all it takes...

I have more problems with Samsung DVD drives than the other 3 brands used:

• thomson
  • philips
  • hitachi-lg
Lens cleaning fixes most reading problems. Samsungs need a new eject belt to work or leave a disc in the tray so it'll eject. A bit of lubrication on the tray rails helps too, not too much just a dab - lithium grease. These drives are over a decade old and need a bit of tender loving care to keep them going.

Last edited by kaos_engr on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
kaos_engr 7

Postby erik1977 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:02 am

Good to know this, I'm planning on getting another Xbox soon.

Systems I currently own:

Spoiler:
Playstation (modchip)
Xbox 360 slim
PS3 slim

Gaming PCs:

Windows 7 64 bit desktop (Athlon II X2 250 3ghz, 2gb ram, Radeon x1650 512mb, 128gb SSD)
Windows XP 32 bit desktop (Athlon XP 2800+ 2.1ghz, Abit NF7-S, 2gb ram, Radeon X800GTO 256mb, 2x 500gb HDD)
Windows 98SE desktop (Slot 1 Pentium 3 550mhz, Asus P3B-F, 320mb ram, Geforce TI4200 128mb, 3DFX Voodoo 2 12mb, 2x 40gb HDD)
Windows 95 desktop (Pentium 133mhz, Asus P/I-P55TP4XE, 40mb ram, Matrox Mystique 4mb, 3DFX Voodoo 2 8mb, 10gb HDD)
DOS 6.22 laptop (486DX2 50mhz, 8mb ram, 350mb HDD)
erik1977 7

Postby HisDivineShadow » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:18 am

Mechanically the Samsungs are easily the worst simple because of those tray ejection problems.

The 605F is also equal least media compatible drive with the Philips one I have. But I only have one Philips drive and I'm suspicious that age effects might have affected my test results as sometimes it does boot disc types that it didn't when I originally tested it.

However the Samsung 605B is definitely the most media compatible drive. It will boot everything, including CD-R which no other drive I tested reads, but only when everything is burned at the minimum supported speed with ImgBurn.

My favourite drive is the Hitachi, boots everything but CD-R, and mechanically the two I have are demonstrably the most reliable.

I'd say the Samsung 605F is easily the worst type as tray problems, fixable though that can be, are a practical certainty and they're the least media compatible.

The Samsung 605B's might have the widest compatibility but that too suffers from the same tray issues. This is surely a far more serious problem for most people than not being able to boot certain types of disc media.

The sad thing is the long trolled Thomson always gets it in the neck because of its claimed limited compatibility. Although, like the Philips, I only have one, mechanically the Thomson has never given me any problems and media compatibility is actually better than my Philips and undoubtedly better than Samsung 605F.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby HeffyDandy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:36 am

I love my Samsung drive. Being able to play any media on it is awesome. And I get to save DVD-Rs when the game is small enough to burn to a CD-R.

Tray rarely gets stuck, and when it does, I just give it a nudge. It's no big deal, at least in my experience.

Sorry to hear yours weren't as good, mate.

Vita 1000 with Enso
JP Mint colored 3DS LL with Luma
2 PSPs with 6.61 CFW
3DS XL with R4 card
PS2 Slim with FreeMcboot
Original Xbox with UnleashX
2 softmodded Wiis (USA/HKG)
Wii U Deluxe with CBHC
HeffyDandy 2

Custom Title: Professional NEET

Postby EarthwormJames » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:16 am

It used to be Samsungs were the most sought after due to being the most compatible with DVD types. But most people barely use their DVD drives these days and just want something reliable for when they do. So now people prefer Hitachis for longevity and being reliable. Though Hitachis oddly used to be viewed as the worst.

EarthwormJames 6

Custom Title: Lumbricus Extraterrestris

Postby berani00 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:32 am

Honestly, I'm kinda surprised the OG XBOX even had a DVD player since I always thought it was basically a Gaming PC because Microsoft and the emphasis on online gaming and so on.

I have both a PS2 and XBOX,
PS3, XBOX 360 and Wii,
And a PS4, XBOX ONE and Wii U
I've been addicted to gaming for 12 years+ but I don't think of myself as particularly good at them.
So don't go to me thinking I'm some god because I sure as am not.
berani00 2

Custom Title: I am faceless

Postby HisDivineShadow » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:35 pm

The Xbox was released before many people even had broadband and Live Enabled games only arrived post release too.

The idea of trying to download an original Xbox 1GB game on dial up (at <56Kb/s >42 hours!) would have been ludicrous. Xbox Live only supported BB so even if connected many people couldn't even use its online capability. So it had to support playing from disc media and that continued for the XB360/PS3 as the games became bigger and into the current generation, for much the same reason.

Millions of people worldwide simply don't have fast enough BB speed to make downloading patches let alone full games for the XBOne/PS4 a universally practical. There was a day one 9GB patch for an early XBOne game I remember which alone would have taken >5 hours with the BB speed I get.

Disc media for home consoles is going to be used for many more years and the reliability of disc drives still almost as significant now as it was when the original Xbox was released.

HisDivineShadow 9

Return to Troubleshooting