Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

XBox Hard Drive Partitions

Having hardware or Software issues with your Xbox console? Ask our experts here!

XBox Hard Drive Partitions

Postby Msmax » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:42 pm

Hi All,

I am all new to game consoles and try to learn bit more about them
Just got my self an original xbox which has already Evolution X installed.
I learned here that I can access the HDD using FTP.

There I find the next partitions with CoreFTP:
C: 126.042.112 -> System files?
D: 748.059.789.208 -> No files
E: 1.236.058.112 -> APPS/TDATA/UDATA etc.
F: 1.402.929.152 -> Games
G: 748.059.789.208 -> No files

I really would like to know what there usage is?
Means.. which ones I can delete all files, install games.. and which ones I should not touch.

Is there a description available for Evolution X?
How to use it, add games, programs etc.?
Really like to know more about the box I have now.

Thanks for your help, Msmax

Msmax Newbie

Re: XBox Hard Drive Partitions

Postby kaos_engr » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:18 pm

The Xbox has many partitions setup on the HDD. These partitions are not like Windows/DOS system partitions. The BIOS/Kernel that controls the Xbox has a static configuration for most of them:

C - partition2 - System software (the MS Dashboard files are found here)
D - DVD drive (and default drive letter for access to emulator files ???)
E - partition1 - GameSaves and ripped CD music (custom soundtracks)
F - partiton6 - Extended partition (non-standard Xbox configuration added by modding scene)
G - partition7 - Extended partition like part 6 user content goes here games, music, pictures, videos, etc.
X - partition3 - Game cache 1 temporary storage used by running games for data cache
Y - partition4 - Game cache 2
Z - partition5 - Game cache 3

You shouldn't delete anything from C or E until you know what everything saved there is used for. For a stock HDD E has ~4GB of free space, games and other user data can be saved here. I prefer not to use it for that purpose though leaving the space only for gamesaves and ripped music.

F and G only available for HDD's larger than 8GBs. Some Xboxes used a 10GB drive making available the 2GBs for a small F drive. Up to a 2TB SATA HDD can be installed in the Xbox. A compatible IDE-to-SATA adapter is required to use a SATA HDD as the Xbox has an IDE interface. And, replacing the stock 40-wire/pin IDE cable with an UltraATA 80-wire 40-pin cable for reliable operation of the SATA HDD.

X, Y, and Z are temporary storage for games and applications. These should not be used to store any permanent content. It will get deleted.

F and G are the main drive storage locations where you store user content. How you structure the content is up to u. However, over the years there have been filesystem defaults used by replacement dashboards as to where to store things:

[F, G]:\Games\<game name>\
[F, G]:\Videos\
[F, G]:\Music\
[F, G]:\Pictures\

Use of this folder structure is not required; however, not using them will require editing configuration files for replacement dashboards.

There are many replacement dashboards available for the Xbox:

• Evoxdash - Evolution-X dashboard - aka RemoteX
  • UnleashX
  • AvaLaunch
  • XBMC4Xbox - Xbox Media Center - the precursor to Kodi

to name the most commonly used dashboards in no particular order.

Is there a description available for Evolution X?

Yes, many. The main site used back in the day or the Xbox scene, xbox-scene.com, where a lot of good information was stored is now offline. :(

Evolution-X for Dummies
The Complete Guide to evox.ini
etc.

Google's your best friend here, search for "evolutionx guide".

Custom configuration of this dashboard is accomplished by editing the text file: evox.ini

UnleashX and XBMC4Xbox are more robust than the Evoxdash as they contain a built-in file manager to browse/copy/move/delete content on the Xbox's HDD and DVD - no deletion of files from read-only media :)

UnleashX is my default dashboard and XBMC4Xbox is used as its name implies as my Media Center to play videos and music. However, many use XBMC4Xbox as their default dashboard.

kaos_engr 7

Postby HisDivineShadow » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:41 pm

Yes, like kaos_engr says, a dashboard with a built in file manager is preferable and means you can access those drives and the folders on the Xbox itself rather than having to rely on FTP.

It looks like there must be 1TB HDD fitted and the first thing I'd do is install XBPartitioner v1.3 (an easily found Xbox application) and check what it reports about the partitions and the cluster size used for the extended partitions F and G.

If that was not done correctly then you risk having those partitions corrupt in the future. Better to check and, if necessary, fix that now before adding anything new to either of those drives.

It is also important to know what type of modded Xbox you have ie. is it softmodded, chipped or a TSOP. That usually determines where you'll find the important 'system' files like your main dashboard XBE.

And BTW do not make the mistake of assuming a XBE named xboxdash.xbe found anywhere amongst the contents of your various drives is the Xbox dash or even does the same thing if found in different locations. Particularly if it is a softmod your main dash and the XBE that launches the MS dash can renamed to anything or might not even be present at all.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby scorpNZ » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:10 am

Copy all files from C & E to two other locations that are not on the same hard drive
Don't format f & g until you have withdrawn any games,music you want to keep.
Don't delete anything till you know what your doing

If you have a modchip installed you can see it from the outside through the grill on the left side with xbox front facing you,.Use a torch

scorpNZ 6

Postby joewatiii » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:54 am

Once you look at unleashx's .cfg file on your desktop you will get it pretty quickly. If it is not tsop'd or mod chipped make sure to back up your eeprom in case. Unfortunately unleashx doesn't have that functionality built in but evox does.

"I can't believe I ate the whole thing" -Homer Simpson
joewatiii 3

Custom Title: Blimey!

Postby kaos_engr » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:10 am

joewatiii wrote:Once you look at unleashx's .cfg file on your desktop you will get it pretty quickly. If it is not tsop'd or mod chipped make sure to back up your eeprom in case. Unfortunately unleashx doesn't have that functionality built in but evox does.

If your system is softmodded with Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool, the NKPatcher Settings application has the functionality to backup the EEPROM data - saves to E:\Backups\EEPROM\.

kaos_engr 7

Postby Msmax » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:05 pm

Dear All,
Thanks you for your clear explanations. Sure very helpfull.
I have changed the folder structure as you recommended. Makes sense and is organised.
Also found the Evox.ini tutorial, lot of things become clear once you read that.. :D

Is it much work to start using UnleashX on my Xbox?

I copied all content from C to my computer using FTP as a backup as recommended.
Did the same for all games I did find on the other drives.

For some reason I can not write anything to partition G.
Should I be able to transfer games to this partition?

I opened the Xbox and found an additional PCB mounted on the mainboard.
Markings are "Hyundai" and "Duo X2".There is also a small switch mounted on the board.

The Hard disk seems to be a 10GB Seagate ST310014ACE drive.
I have a 160GB IDE drive lying around over here.
What is the easiest way to replace the 10GB with this one?

I also found a dir called "Backup" on C with some files in it:
Bios.bin
Disk.bin
EEprom.bin
hddinfo.txt
hddkey.bin

The hddinfo.txt has next info:
Disk Serial Number
Disk Model Number
HDD Key
HDDLockDisablePassword
XboxHDKey

Also found some .exe programs on C:
FlashFXP2.0
Relax
Xlink
Can the Xbox run exe files?
If not, what is the purpose to have them on the C drive?

Thanks again guys, I am learning here and it is fun to explore the old Xbox :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Msmax Newbie

Postby kaos_engr » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:06 pm

Msmax wrote:Is it much work to start using UnleashX on my Xbox?

No, need to know which BIOS is booting and directory list for the root of the C drive. To verify how the system is currently configured.

Do you see the Kernel and BIOS version on the dashboard's main display screen? If so, what are they? If not, try a different skin that does display them. The BIOS may only say "Unknown" but the kernel version will help to determine which BIOS is running. The name of the BIOS is determined by proper info added to the evox.ini file.

I copied all content from C to my computer using FTP as a backup as recommended.
Did the same for all games I did find on the other drives.

For some reason I can not write anything to partition G.
Should I be able to transfer games to this partition?

There probably isn't a G drive. The extra ~2GB's unformatted space was all allocated to F drive. So even though enabled, there is no space to use for a G drive.

I opened the Xbox and found an additional PCB mounted on the mainboard.
Markings are "Hyundai" and "Duo X2".There is also a small switch mounted on the board.

DuoX2 modchip. Bank select switch. I think the chip came with 2 BIOS's flashed one for 1.0-1.5 version Xbox's and the other for 1.6's.

The Hard disk seems to be a 10GB Seagate ST310014ACE drive.
I have a 160GB IDE drive lying around over here.
What is the easiest way to replace the 10GB with this one?

Xbox app Chimp 261812 and a Molex power splitter to power both HDDs at power on, Run chimp and swap IDE connector from DVD to SLAVE HDD. Use Chimp to clone the source (original MASTER/CS 10GB HDD) to the destination (new SLAVE configured 160GB HDD).

I also found a dir called "Backup" on C with some files in it:
Bios.bin
Disk.bin
EEprom.bin
hddinfo.txt
hddkey.bin

Nice! Save them to your PC before installing the new HDD. Keep them labeled to know they were for this particular Xbox and 10GB HDD. You'll get a new set with a different HDD. Not all data will change. eeprom.bin will be the same. hddinfo.txt will change.

The hddinfo.txt has next info:
Disk Serial Number
Disk Model Number
HDD Key
HDDLockDisablePassword
XboxHDKey

Once the new HDD is installed, create a new backup. Info will change accordingly.

Also found some .exe programs on C:
FlashFXP2.0
Relax
Xlink
Can the Xbox run exe files?
If not, what is the purpose to have them on the C drive?

Xbox cannot use exe files. These are for the PC. The previous owner saved a copy of these Xbox related apps for a PC on the Xbox's HDD:

• FlashFXP - FTP client
  • Relax - streaming media server
  • Xlink Kai - system link multiplayer gameplay across the Internet

kaos_engr 7

Postby HisDivineShadow » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:02 am

One thing more to ask about re: the attached image on your earlier post: did you remove the disc drive just to show the MB and chip etc or is that what it actually looked like when you opened up the Xbox?

That you took out the disc drive seems unlikely as the HDD cradle has to be removed to able to get the disc drive and its cradle out. Yet the HDD cradle is clearly shown as still having at least one of its torx 10 headed screws in place.

If so and you do not have the disc drive that will limit your options eg. you will not be able to use Chimp as kaos_engr describes. So do you have the disc drive or not?

That would be odd because even if the DVD was broken or not being used I've read it still needs to be present or you will get either an error 10, 11 or 12 on boot. Maybe with a chip/suitable BIOS it bypasses that DVD requirement but you'd need to get someone who knows more about chips and BIOS than I do to confirm this.

HisDivineShadow 9

Return to Troubleshooting