Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Certain Games Won't Launch on Soft Mod

Having hardware or Software issues with your Xbox console? Ask our experts here!

Certain Games Won't Launch on Soft Mod

Postby Adamgm10 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:03 pm

Hi I'm new here.

So a week back I ended up buying a pre soft modded Original Xbox, it seems to work fine I upgraded the HDD and ripped my copies of Halo CE and Halo 2, those games boot and play fine but I have copies of pre released Halo games that a few other and I get together to play sometimes.

The problem is with those games when I launch the xbe's the games will not launch it'll just redirect me back to my dashboard, I know its not corrupted files because they will launch on my RGH Xbox 360 just fine. I have tried re doing the soft mod, and recopying the files but the games still won't work.

Can anyone help?

Adamgm10 Newbie

Re: Certain Games Won't Launch on Soft Mod

Postby Biggsy666 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:12 pm

Just a thought but needed to patch a couple of games to work on my XBox from HDD, also clearing the cache might help. I'm sure someone will have some answers for you on TIZ as some of the guys here are XBox wizards. Be patient and check back here over the next day or so and you will get help. Also don't forget to check out Retrozone.co as its the new home for TIZ members, the sites still new but coming along nicely thanks to the mods/admins working on it.

Welcome to TIZ :lol:

My Systems
Spoiler:
Acorn Electron
CPC464
C64
ZX Spectrum +2
Atari 2600
NES & Famicom w/ FDS
SNES & Super Famicom
N64 1 x PAL, 1 x NTSC-J
Gamecube x2 Xeno
Wii x2 softmod
Master System
Mega Drive MKI RGB w/switches & MKII
Saturn
Dreamcast
PS1 Audiophile, 3 chipped & 1 slim w/screen
PS2 1 fat silver with FMCB/120gb HDD & 1 slim w/screen
PS3 1 fat, 1 slim
Xbox (soft mod 200gb & 1 Crystal hard mod 120gb)
Xbox 360
PSP x2 CFW
GameGear
Wonderswan
N-Gage & N-Gage QD
Gameboy, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, 2x GB Macro
Nintendo DS, DSL, DSi & 3DS

My Custom Projects Click Here
Biggsy666 13

Custom Title: The Reverend

Postby nornor1 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:19 pm

make sure the system time and date are correct, iirc that would cause some games not to boot. also make sure the game copied correctly, sometime some files would be too long to copy to the HDD or something?

Systems I own:
Spoiler:
2 DC's W & B 1 GDEMU
N64 Rgb Mod- w/ED64
PSONE w/screen- Chipped
PS2 Phat & Slim(w/Joytech LCD) both Chipped
Ps3 2x SS
Ps4
Xbox OG-Tsop flashed 2gb HDD
X360 & slim-Ixtreme
XbOneX
Sega Saturn-Chipped
Wii- modded
Wii-U
New 3ds XL
Pspgo- cfw
Ps Vita-Enzo
NES RGB mod w/ED
JVC X'EYE w/32x/Mega ED
SNES Jr.-Rgb mod w/SD2Snes
Pc-E Duo R. w/Turbo ED
NeoGeo MVS w/NeoSD.

Trustworthy Traders:
Spoiler:
emotimmyturn
turfster
reverendjohnnyblaze
ficeto001
XC-3730C
bahamutfan64
catch_2030
DreamcastDude1999
Dreamcast459
blakd3th
Superrayman3
psydefx
WARE-WOLF
SumOfAllFear5
nornor1 6

Postby aramchek » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:09 pm

If you haven't tried already and you're using xbmc try pressing the white button on highlighted game to bring up context menu and try launching in a different region. From what you describe it Could be corrruption on the E partition? Also deleting the files in the CACHE folder in E partition may help. I've had this happen to me when I've first launched games and they couldn't create a new game save, they just reset to dash, creating a new Udata folder resolved it for me, but trythe other steps first asthey are a lot easier to perform

aramchek 2

Postby HisDivineShadow » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:04 pm

It sounds like you're not trying to launch the game from the main dash menu so how are you doing that exactly, from the UnleashX or XBMC file manger?

What XBE are you using to launch? It should be the game's "default.xbe".

How were the games installed? FTP or disc/DVD2Xbox? If they were FTPed directly into place make sure all the folders/files actually made it.

I doubt it is this but they can also have what would be generic ACL patching applied using DVD2Xbox via its game manager even after install by other means.

I'd also, as others have suggested, delete the CACHE but also look at the X, Y and Z drive contents. A lot of games, and I have a feeling Halo does, put sometimes quite a lot of temporary folders and files there. If you're playing a non-standard Halo version and there is retail release Halo stuff on those drives there is no telling what effect that might have.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby Adamgm10 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:12 pm

HisDivineShadow wrote:It sounds like you're not trying to launch the game from the main dash menu so how are you doing that exactly, from the UnleashX or XBMC file manger?

What XBE are you using to launch? It should be the game's "default.xbe".

How were the games installed? FTP or disc/DVD2Xbox? If they were FTPed directly into place make sure all the folders/files actually made it.

I doubt it is this but they can also have what would be generic ACL patching applied using DVD2Xbox via its game manager even after install by other means.

I'd also, as others have suggested, delete the CACHE but also look at the X, Y and Z drive contents. A lot of games, and I have a feeling Halo does, put sometimes quite a lot of temporary folders and files there. If you're playing a non-standard Halo version and there is retail release Halo stuff on those drives there is no telling what effect that might have.

I'm launching the default.xbe through the file manager as it doesn't show up in the games area of UnleashX, I FTP'd the game files to my Xbox they all seem to be there I also did a FTP of my retail Halo CE and Halo 2 they still work fine.

Clearing Cache did nothing, I also deleted the UDATA folder which didn't work either.
I'm thinking of getting DVDs and burning a disc to see if that works.

Adamgm10 Newbie

Postby HisDivineShadow » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:04 pm

If it isn't showing up in the UnleashX menu it could be a clue.

The most common cause of that happening is that game has mistakenly been put or unpacked into two levels of folder ie. a sub-folder inside another of the same name. This is quite common when the game has been Zipped or RARed.

Check that game is only in one level of folder.

Whether that would cause the problem described I do not know but fingers crossed.

The "default.xbe" XBE name wouldn't cause that problem but that could be another possibility why it isn't showing up in the UnleashX menu. Use the UnleashX file manager to check the XBE Name using the White controller button context menu. The UnleashX file manager XBE menu options only appear when you have highlighted a XBE.

If the XBE was also named "Halo" and you have another Halo game on the HDD whose XBE is also named the same then whichever was there first will get priority. So that would be another possibility for it not being in the UnleashX Games menus. Rename one of them to "Halo B" or however you want to identify it.

Reboot the Xbox and it should now appear in Games.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby Adamgm10 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:06 pm

HisDivineShadow wrote:If it isn't showing up in the UnleashX menu it could be a clue.

The most common cause of that happening is that game has mistakenly been put or unpacked into two levels of folder ie. a sub-folder inside another of the same name. This is quite common when the game has been Zipped or RARed.

Check that game is only in one level of folder.

Whether that would cause the problem described I do not know but fingers crossed.

The "default.xbe" XBE name wouldn't cause that problem but that could be another possibility why it isn't showing up in the UnleashX menu. Use the UnleashX file manager to check the XBE Name using the White controller button context menu. The UnleashX file manager XBE menu options only appear when you have highlighted a XBE.

If the XBE was also named "Halo" and you have another Halo game on the HDD whose XBE is also named the same then whichever was there first will get priority. So that would be another possibility for it not being in the UnleashX Games menus. Rename one of them to "Halo B" or however you want to identify it.

Reboot the Xbox and it should now appear in Games.

I've gotten it to show up in the Games section but it still won't boot. I'll run to the store and get some DVDs and try that, if it doesn't boot well I guess I'll give up I'll just play them on my RGH.

Adamgm10 Newbie

Postby HisDivineShadow » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:04 pm

I think you'll have explain more about what the "pre-release Halo games" are exactly and, obviously, if they are not available at TiZ there is little more help anyone here will be able to give.

I was assuming they were Halo Cache Editor mods something I know zilch about except what I've read. But if they are genuine pre-release versions:-

My suggestion would be to delete the newly installed Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2 games, clear the cache, reboot and then see if these "pre-release..." games now work. My thought is that they may use the same UDATA/TDATA ID ie. the same save folders as those original games or there is some other conflict involved.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby Adamgm10 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:31 am

HisDivineShadow wrote:I think you'll have explain more about what the "pre-release Halo games" are exactly and, obviously, if they are not available at TiZ there is little more help anyone here will be able to give.

I was assuming they were Halo Cache Editor mods something I know zilch about except what I've read. But if they are genuine pre-release versions:-

My suggestion would be to delete the newly installed Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2 games, clear the cache, reboot and then see if these "pre-release..." games now work. My thought is that they may use the same UDATA/TDATA ID ie. the same save folders as those original games or there is some other conflict involved.

Sorry for late reply, I've had a family emergency recently.
The games are the private alpha and Beta of Halo 2, I have deleted everything TDATA, UDATA, CACHE and used SID 5.12 to completely redo the softmod. The games still will not launch despite me doing this, I have even burned the games to a DVD and they do the same thing.

Everyone I have gamenights with have told me all they did was FTP the game and it works just fine, the only thing I can even think of at this point is that the HDD I installed is somehow conflicting with the games.

Adamgm10 Newbie

Postby Rocky5 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:27 am

SID forces 480P so disable this ( not sure if you can mind ) and see if they boot.

Alternatively upgrade to my softmod and see if that fixes your issue.

Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby HisDivineShadow » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:36 am

If he has a SD cable type ie. Composite, S-Video or SCART(RGB) he could try using that and that would prove one way or the other if the resolution was the problem.

The Xbox you're using wouldn't happen to be v1.6 would it? I think Rocky5's suggestion alludes to that possibility. There are a number of original Xbox games what will not display in 480p on v1.6. Usually that causes distinctive on screen image corruption but maybe in some circumstances it might cause a reboot.

If it is a v1.6 you could try launching the games from another dash installed in Apps: XBMC sometimes works but a more generally successful solution is to use an older version of EvoX.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby Adamgm10 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:49 pm

HisDivineShadow wrote:If he has a SD cable type ie. Composite, S-Video or SCART(RGB) he could try using that and that would prove one way or the other if the resolution was the problem.

The Xbox you're using wouldn't happen to be v1.6 would it? I think Rocky5's suggestion alludes to that possibility. There are a number of original Xbox games what will not display in 480p on v1.6. Usually that causes distinctive on screen image corruption but maybe in some circumstances it might cause a reboot.

If it is a v1.6 you could try launching the games from another dash installed in Apps: XBMC sometimes works but a more generally successful solution is to use an older version of EvoX.

My console is a 1.4, right now I just completely got rid of the softmod, the console is stock now. I'm going to buy splinter cell later tonight and attempt to re softmod the console. Guess I'll buy a composite cable too while I'm at it.

My setup is currently component cables being plugged into a HDMI converter if that helps.

Adamgm10 Newbie

Postby Adamgm10 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:24 am

Sorry for double post, can't find an edit post button but reverting the system back to stock fixed it.

Adamgm10 Newbie

Return to Troubleshooting