Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

PS1 - bad burning, bad lens or cursed?

Discuss Everything Related to the PlayStation 1 Here!

PS1 - bad burning, bad lens or cursed?

Postby drxs » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:12 pm

Hi,
yesterday a I took out my old PS1 (SCPH-102) and wanted to play some games. Problem is, with almost every game I own, there is a problem. Last time I used the console, it was way to many years ago to remember if those problems existed back then. I have no idea how is the console "hacked" ( correct term? no idea ), but it does run burned games.

The problem I got:
- crash bandicoot warped - loads into menu, after selecting new game, won't start - black screen - the disc is scratcher prety badly, so this could be the reason. I was able to run it on my PC through ePSX tho. Copy is burned.
- spyro - the first game - runs, but I cant save - I get the 'Save error' and it tells me to check if my memory card is still in place - wont work in both slots. Also, the music is lagging - the disc is scratched, so this could be the reason. Copy is burned.
- spyro - year of the dragon - this is the original, wont load, but disc is not scratched - Please insert Playstation...
- medal of honor - runs without problems and I am able to save the game. Copy is burned.

So, I decided to download the games again and burn them. Used ImgBurn, disabled verify, 8x ( slowest for my HW ), I burned 4 games with this settings. .cue files and .bin . Neither works, the console loads the Memory card and CD Player screen. Then, I tried to copy the crash bandicoot 3 cd that runs atleast the menu, again, not recognized.

Where could the problem lie? CDs I used were Verbatim, perhaps the brand? Or the burning speed / burning HW? Turning the console upside down / rotating in various angles does not help.

Thank beforehand for your help!

drxs Newbie

Re: PS1 - bad burning, bad lens or cursed?

Postby Berzerk » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:19 pm

There was a version of Spyro if copied could not be played it always came up with Save error or memory card could not be found. There is year of the dragon is the only one that has piracy traps not sure about the others. You may also want to try to burn at a lower speed.

Last edited by Berzerk on Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Berzerk 6

Custom Title: No matter where you go there you are.

Postby drxs » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:24 pm

This is 'Spyro the Dragon' - I am aware of the Year of the dragon anti-piracy ( double kill, cuz my PS wont run even the original ). This game, as far as I know should not have any of this.

drxs Newbie

Postby Berzerk » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:27 pm

If all else fails may be bad lens.

Berzerk 6

Custom Title: No matter where you go there you are.

Postby itsonlyleggy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:20 pm

If non-scratched originals won't work, this suggests it's definitely the laser/lens because all the burner/speed/cd-r media/copy protection issues are removed.

Try cleaning the lens, try loading the original again. If that doesn't work, open her up, give it a pot tweak (follow youtube vids for guidance) and that should work. If all else fails, get a "donor" ps1 and swap the laser unit out.

Not sure if they still do, but Ebay have sold some BRAND NEW Ps1 laser units in the past, that would future-proof your conosle for a few years!

Also check the ribbon cable, make sure it's connected properly and not damaged.

Hope this helps!

My current systems
Spoiler:
Red 360 Elite
Phat PS3 CFW/1TB External/300gb Internal
Crystal Xbox Hardmod 500gb HDD
PS2 FMCB 500gb HDD, Samsung GearVR
Saturn - multi region/modchip/50 60hz
Clear Green N64, NES, SNES, Master System all W/Everdrive,
Amiga 600 modded, Spectrum 48k, Ouya
PS1 chipped. Gamecube Chipped.
CD32, Dreamcast, Atari 2600, Xbox One, White PS4,
PCEngine Core Grafx2 Megadrive/Mega CD, Vectrex, 3DO,
Amstrad 464, Wii Softmod
My gaming blog. Modern, retro and everything else. Please be a part of it! http://www.loaderror.co.uk

Latest Post - 2017 Updat ft. Megadrive!
itsonlyleggy 7

Custom Title: Barry Burton is my hero!

Postby kremiso » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:05 pm

laser technology, ugly beast for retrogame-lovers :(

kremiso 7

Custom Title: Nostalgia Generator

Postby ClassicGamer90 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:25 pm

I had a very similar problem with my chipped PS1, turns out I had to burn at 2x to get anything to read.

But if your originals aren't reading and you're sure they're good I'd try adjusting the laser a bit.

Systems I own:

Spoiler:
x2 NES
x2 SNES (Orig. & mini)
x1 Super Famicom
x2 Sega Genesis
x2 Nintendo 64
x3 PlayStation (Slim, orig., & orig. w/chip & clear blue shell)
x1 Sega Saturn
x4 Sega Dreamcast (1 w/ clear blue shell)
x2 GameCube (Xeno chip)
x1 GB
x1 GB Pocket
x2 GBC
x2 GBA
x1 GBA SP
x4 PlayStation 2 (2 orig. & 2 slim)
x1 Original Xbox (250GB HDD & UnleashX)
x1 Xbox 360 (Star Wars 320GB)
x1 PlayStation 3 (1TB)
x1 Wii (soft modded, 1TB HDD)
x1 Wii U
x1 DS Lite
x1 DSi XL
x1 3DS XL
X1 PS Vita
x2 PSP (1000, 3000 w/CFW)
x1 Neo Geo X
x1 Retro Freak
ClassicGamer90 4

Postby TheTechDoc » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:02 pm

I mean, lense issue is always the first thing to check with old disc based consoles, I would start with cleaning it and adjusting it, if you get at least slightly better results, you likely need a new laser, some users here have good links to trustworthy sellers, I'm sure they would chime in and send a link

Spoiler:
2x xbox w/IND bios +1tb hdd/80gb hdd
1x ps2 slim w/fcmb 1x ps2 phat w/fhdb
1x ps1 chipped
gamecube w/sd launcher
psp 1000,go with cfw
2x dslite and dsphat w r4i/acekard2i
gameboy original/pocket/color/advance/sp/micro
2x wii w/softmod
snes
nes
n64
360 jasper RGH CR4 XL
360 slim RGH CR4 XL
PS Vita 3.60 with Henkaku
3DS 9.2.0 CFW Emunand RXtools/luma3ds
Sega dreamcast
Sega Saturn
Wiiu w/CFW 5.5.1
PS4
TheTechDoc 8

Custom Title: Put away those fiery biscuits!

Postby sasapinjic » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:57 pm

It culd be number of things.
First, burned games sometimes (especialy if burned on bad media) tend to stop working if not used for long time, i got bunch of burned games that i kept in same conditions, ones that i player ocasionally still works, while one i havent play for 2 years dint want to work when i wanted to test them.
Second, and most probably, your laser needs either cleaning or it is at last legs.
Third, your games may have sufer humidity from long wait, or console/memory card may have same problem to. Humidity is big problem for electronic, it couse lots of "phantom" problems. For example, One of my memory cards sometimes give me problems and console wont detect her, so i plug her off, blow some air in it and knock her on table a little, and that solve thing, it work when i plug her back!
Fourth, your brand is ok(make sure it is CD-R ones, dont use CD+R, or for god sake, ESPECIALY not CD+RW), but try 16x burn speed, also your burner may be bad, try other burner/other PC.
Fifth, every version of Spyro 3 game is pirate protected, but if it has patch that nutralize protection, it will work.
And finally, check my signature, there is link for detail guide for burning of ps games

sasapinjic 13

Custom Title: Gafgarion(Penninless Scumbag)

Postby erik1977 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:50 am

Throw some holy water on it and you'll find out if it's cursed. :lol:

Systems I currently own:

Spoiler:
Playstation (modchip)
Xbox 360 slim
PS3 slim

Gaming PCs:

Windows 7 64 bit desktop (Athlon II X2 250 3ghz, 2gb ram, Radeon x1650 512mb, 128gb SSD)
Windows XP 32 bit desktop (Athlon XP 2800+ 2.1ghz, Abit NF7-S, 2gb ram, Radeon X800GTO 256mb, 2x 500gb HDD)
Windows 98SE desktop (Slot 1 Pentium 3 550mhz, Asus P3B-F, 320mb ram, Geforce TI4200 128mb, 3DFX Voodoo 2 12mb, 2x 40gb HDD)
Windows 95 desktop (Pentium 133mhz, Asus P/I-P55TP4XE, 40mb ram, Matrox Mystique 4mb, 3DFX Voodoo 2 8mb, 10gb HDD)
DOS 6.22 laptop (486DX2 50mhz, 8mb ram, 350mb HDD)
erik1977 7

Postby drxs » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:34 pm

So. Today, I burned CDs on an another PC, 4x speed and 8x speed. I copied the Crash Bandicoot disc - with imgburn. It did not load, straight to the 'CD player screen'. Then I pot tweaked it, original resistance was 1169 Ohm, went for 1019 Ohm, 953 Ohm - here it started to read ( 7 out of 10 tries ) both new Crash Bandicoot CDs, however, only until the logo. All other games worked or did not work the same. I tried to lower the value to about 866 Ohm but no improvement. The lens and the construction around it - including the plastic part that holds the CD in place are in poor state. Cleaning the lens did not help. I started to believe, that it is truly the lens, that causes the problems. So, question being - which lens to get?
KSM-440AEM
KSM-440ADM
KSM-440BAM
On ebay, many chinese sell these lasers - or are their products crap? There is a e-shop in my country that sells these lasers, they charge 35 € - and dont have KSM-440BAM, only the other two. I do not know, whether they got it from china or elsewhere. What do you recommend?

PS: I tried the holy water, but ended up burning myself. Strange... :?

drxs Newbie

Postby sasapinjic » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:39 pm

^ yep, your local sellers definitly buy chinese stuff for few € and then re-sell them to customers for 35 £ , you can bet your life on that! Croks sellers do same here, for a similar price, (it was 40€ year ago)
As for what lense to get, naturally, same model as was in your original ps.
Also, you can try burn speed x16, you may have better results,
but you will still need replacments lens.

sasapinjic 13

Postby drxs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:43 pm

I ordered yesterday the same lens I have in my PS1 - KSM-440BAM - from ebay -> seller is in the UK and he has good reviews about the lasers so I am looking forward to trying it. I will give an update when I test it. Thanks for help guys, have a nice day.

drxs Newbie

Postby sasapinjic » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:50 pm

Nice, i hope you will get one in good condition! 8-)
If you never install new lens, make sure to study youtube videos of how to do it well.

sasapinjic 13

Return to PSX Chat