Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Modbo 5.0 Installation on PS2 SCPH-77001... school me!

System Mods, Hard Mods and Soft Mods - Discuss them here.

Modbo 5.0 Installation on PS2 SCPH-77001... school me!

Postby Conversus_W_Vans » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:45 pm

Hi all! I'm new to this system modding thing as I've got a project ahead of me. I have a SCPH-77001 PS2 slim (NTSC one) that I got for an insane deal at a Salvation Army last year ($5). The system reads discs pretty fine although it's physically scratched up top and bottom. I recently acquired a Modbo v5.0 chip off eBay because I didn't find swapping discs to play backups/imports very reliable.

Who on here has a 77001 (V15) model? If so, could you show me a full diagram of the actual motherboard so I can know exact wiring spots? I heard there were different motherboards on some V15 models, is that correct? I'm not sure what mine's got but I found a somewhat helpful YouTube video by MrMario2011 that was done on the exact model, but he installed Modbo v4.0.
Here's what I've got on me so far: https://imgur.com/a/nPEXT (my system & modchip)

I feel aware about all the tools I need since the eBay listing gave them out, but what have you used as far as wires? They recommend 30 AWG, but is there a good brand I can buy at Home Depot or Lowe's?

Sorry if my questions catch you off guard; very new to system modding and would love some schooling on it. I see of this as more of a fun project because I've never done any wiring or soldering work in my 21 years of living.

Conversus_W_Vans 2

Re: Modbo 5.0 Installation on PS2 SCPH-77001... school me!

Postby kaos_engr » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:37 pm

You won't find 30AWG wire-wrap/kynar insulated hook-up wire at Lowe's or Home Depot.

You'll need to try electronics parts suppliers like Mouser, Digi-key or Jameco.

White insulator: https://www.mouser.com/Wire-Cable/Hook- ... poZ1yth3w2

It comes in many different colors.

https://www.mouser.com/Wire-Cable/Hook- ... ?P=1yth3w2

kaos_engr 7

Postby HaloSlayer255 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:03 pm

I have a few finished installations in my dropbox, links are in my signature. The modbo 4.0 and modbo 5.0 chips follow the same installation diagrams.

You mentioned that you have a v15, SCPH-77001 console. Can you find the date code and on the motherboard its GH-XXX-XX identification number?

As for kynar wire, I've had good luck with RadioShack's kynar wire but since they are out of business, might want to try what kaos_engr mentioned. I've used silicon wire on one of my recent modchip installs (still have to upload pics) and its a little tricky for 0.5mm points.

Above all else, take your time and use plenty of flux and keep your tip clean! I remember my first ps2 I tried to chip, ended up Frankensteining it and the tossed it. I've came a long way since then, my first install took 4 hours but now I can do the slims in about 2-2.5 hours with disassembly and reassembly included in the time.

Hope this helps,
HaloSlayer255

HaloSlayer255 4

Custom Title: Corvette Lover

Postby Conversus_W_Vans » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:19 pm

HaloSlayer255 wrote:I have a few finished installations in my dropbox, links are in my signature. The modbo 4.0 and modbo 5.0 chips follow the same installation diagrams.

You mentioned that you have a v15, SCPH-77001 console. Can you find the date code and on the motherboard its GH-XXX-XX identification number?

As for kynar wire, I've had good luck with RadioShack's kynar wire but since they are out of business, might want to try what kaos_engr mentioned. I've used silicon wire on one of my recent modchip installs (still have to upload pics) and its a little tricky for 0.5mm points.

Above all else, take your time and use plenty of flux and keep your tip clean! I remember my first ps2 I tried to chip, ended up Frankensteining it and the tossed it. I've came a long way since then, my first install took 4 hours but now I can do the slims in about 2-2.5 hours with disassembly and reassembly included in the time.

Hope this helps,
HaloSlayer255

Hey man, nice to meet you! I've seen your posts about the same thing but the different mobos caught me off guard. I'm gonna try finding the RadioShack brand kynar and see if I can also pop open my console to see which one it has.. :)

Conversus_W_Vans 2

Postby Randummy1 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:30 am

Conversus_W_Vans wrote:Hi all! I'm new to this system modding thing as I've got a project ahead of me. I have a SCPH-77001 PS2 slim (NTSC one) that I got for an insane deal at a Salvation Army last year ($5). The system reads discs pretty fine although it's physically scratched up top and bottom. I recently acquired a Modbo v5.0 chip off eBay because I didn't find swapping discs to play backups/imports very reliable.

Who on here has a 77001 (V15) model? If so, could you show me a full diagram of the actual motherboard so I can know exact wiring spots? I heard there were different motherboards on some V15 models, is that correct? I'm not sure what mine's got but I found a somewhat helpful YouTube video by MrMario2011 that was done on the exact model, but he installed Modbo v4.0.
Here's what I've got on me so far: https://imgur.com/a/nPEXT (my system & modchip)

I feel aware about all the tools I need since the eBay listing gave them out, but what have you used as far as wires? They recommend 30 AWG, but is there a good brand I can buy at Home Depot or Lowe's?

Sorry if my questions catch you off guard; very new to system modding and would love some schooling on it. I see of this as more of a fun project because I've never done any wiring or soldering work in my 21 years of living.

See if you can find Microcenter or Fry's Electronics near you. Either one of those two have just about everything you need. ;)

Successfully traded with Vga for PS2 Softmod Kit.
Randummy1 6

Custom Title: Dinosaur farting dust bunnies :)

Postby jetcat » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:26 am

Hi, I´m a new member here. But been modding Ps2..Wii..Xbox..Xbox360..Ps3 for the last 17 years.
Happy to guide you if you want. The most important is..
1..A small tip on the soldering iron
2..A "pen brush" to clean all the via´s
3..Take it slowly.
4.. As short wires as you can

jetcat Newbie

Return to System Modding