Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

PS2Netbox OPL for Slim consoles

System Mods, Hard Mods and Soft Mods - Discuss them here.

PS2Netbox OPL for Slim consoles

Postby Thelonewolf » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:10 pm

Does anyone have this or attemping to try it soon?

I already use OPL HDD network adapter setups on my two phat consoles but this looks like a easy AIO solution to boot PS2 iso's (supports drag n drop and Winhiip format) on a Slim PS2 (just add a 2.5"HDD yourself). Also, it supports Popstarter PSX.

Also, from what i have read it uses a custom modified OPL build (closed source) pre-installed on a FMCB memory card that ships with it. Not sure how future updates would work, as it's closed source and if the Dev jumps ship and abandons it, users are stuck with a outdated device. Would also like to know if this is different from the official OPL builds in terms of compatibility.

However, because the dev is Chinese, the language barrier is not so good in translation to find out more clear instructions and information about this product.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/PS2NetBox-ISO- ... 3064921784

Thelonewolf 4

Re: PS2Netbox OPL for Slim consoles

Postby ZX81v2 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:55 pm

I can't make my mind up on this. It looks like USB HDD Caddy....

A, product introduction
PS2 Game Manager is a support PS2 game console through the network cable and the USB cable to facilitate the collection of game-related resources, management of storage devices.

So it's a HDD Caddy afterall

This device is suitable for use with the entire system PS2 game console,

SO this works on the 90000 series.... Good luck

the game can mirror storage, custom game list themes, game cover display.
Convenient user to quickly and easily select the game for entertainment. Support virtual memory cards, gold fingers and other advanced game-assisted applications.
Yawn...

Users simply connect the device to a PC with networking capability via USB, download the game program directly from the Internet to the device, connect to the PS2 game console to download the game, and then take the offline game.

That'll Be WINHIIP/HDL_Dumb then....

There is nothing new about this. USB Has been used on slims for years, using CHEAP HDD Caddies

PS2 (Phat) + Network Adapter + SATA Bridge + 2TB HDD = Insanity+1 !
Wanna Know More > theisozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=49420&hilit=+sata

FreeMCBoot Installer - OPL 0.8/9 + HDL0.8c
Game Compatibility Checker. WinHIIP User
ZX81v2's MAME/ARCADE Thread Here
FreeMCBoot Install Service "UK" Thread HERE
MY PS2 OPL 0.8 HDD Game Compatibility List Click Here 100% Safe

Latest MESS/MAME Roms : Retroroms.info < NEW SITE !

ImageImageImageImage

If you are/WERE a PS2 Developer please check PS2Home out !
Designed & (C)2013-2017 by ZX81v2
ZX81v2 Moderator

Custom Title: R Tape Loading Err0r

Postby Thelonewolf » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:02 pm

I know but that text on the ebay page is kinda lost in translation imo. Apparently, the data transfer is on par with hdd network adapters and faster with some games. This is what i'm currently hearing on FB groups.

Thelonewolf 4

Postby ZX81v2 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:04 pm

I can't see how.. USB 1.1 is how you plug the bloody thing into the PS2....
I actually looked into USB2 upgrade on PS2 but it would take redesigning the USB part of the PCB.
Then no guarantee it gonna work... So I still can't see any bonus in this 60$ Caddy

This is the Caddy I use for ALL my PS2's, SLIM included (7xxxx)

TSUNAMI - COST £7.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tsunami-Data-2 ... B003BIEOCS

ImageImageImageImage

ZX81v2 Moderator

Postby Thelonewolf » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:27 pm

I could be very wrong but my impression is 1.1 usb connection (crap i know) but the device uses a ethernet RJ45 from its own port to the ethernet port on the PS2 to send data via a custom lightweight protocol to speed up game loading speed using a custom OPL build too.

So nothing fancy but a glorified usb caddy then..

Thelonewolf 4

Postby ZX81v2 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:33 pm

Would be interesting to get the pin outs of this lead....

ImageImageImageImage

ZX81v2 Moderator

Postby GillBert » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:33 pm

It's more than just an USB HDD Caddy.

It's a network to SATA conversor, which allows to use OPL in SMB mode. It's more or less the same if using a NAS device or a Raspberry Pi as a SMB client, but having a custom OPL built. The USB cable is just to power the device, it does not handle any data.

The developer also created another product called PS2USB which is a kind of Network Adapter replacement. Both products support POPStarter as well.

More info about can be found here:
https://assemblergames.com/threads/ps2n ... ter.67985/
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f98/ps2netbox-157654/

GillBert 6

Custom Title: ⌂ ⌂ Homebrew Addict

Postby ZX81v2 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:46 pm

Thanks for the feedback Gillbert

ImageImageImageImage

ZX81v2 Moderator

Postby TheOmikronNomadSoul » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:06 pm

So would this benefit users who just have a PS2 slim? I don't see a reason to buy this if you are a phat user as you can just buy a gamestar adapter or use an official sony adapter with the SATA mod.

This does look like a pretty neat solution if you are a Slim user. Definitely keeping this in my radar if I ever own a Slim.

TheOmikronNomadSoul 7

Custom Title: I'm Just trying to "Lion" The Mood

Postby logane1102 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:12 pm

I have a slim PS2, and I just use the regular SMB method. The speeds are a mix of slower and faster speeds that a disc. FMVs stutter, but loading other game data is usually a bit faster.
SMB method makes menus in gran turismo 4 pop up about 1-2 frames quicker.

Overall, it is a really good middle ground of speed and simplicity. You get reasonable speeds, but don't have to deal with the finicky nature of the HDD setup.
Although, be prepared to fill up your computer's Hard drive with PS2 ISOs, I've got a 126 GB folder containing all my uh "backups".

But yeah, PS2Netbox sounds amazing

logane1102 2

Postby logane1102 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:20 pm

It could benefit Fat PS2's too, because it would simplify the process of adding games and stuff to it, since the HDD method on a Fat PS2 can be quite problematic for some people including me.
It would mean you would lose the consolidation of the HDD inside the console, instead having the netbox hang out from the network port, but the benefits are mainly for stability and simplicity.

Failing Network adaptors and IDE hard drives are difficult to deal with, and it's risky to remove the HDD from the PS2 and add more games to it once it's installed in the PS2, as the PS2 might decide it doesn't like the HDD anymore and then you have to format the HDD and start all over again.

logane1102 2

Postby Biggsy666 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:38 pm

I don't like the look of that listing at all tbh. Only one feedback ever and its made to sound like a seller but was actually when they purchased something, possibly even from another of their own accounts if i was being synical.

My Systems
Spoiler:
Acorn Electron
CPC464
C64
ZX Spectrum +2
Atari 2600
NES & Famicom w/ FDS
SNES & Super Famicom
N64 1 x PAL, 1 x NTSC-J
Gamecube x2 Xeno
Wii x2 softmod
Master System
Mega Drive MKI RGB w/switches & MKII
Saturn
Dreamcast
PS1 Audiophile, 3 chipped & 1 slim w/screen
PS2 1 fat silver with FMCB/120gb HDD & 1 slim w/screen
PS3 1 fat, 1 slim
Xbox (soft mod 200gb & 1 Crystal hard mod 120gb)
Xbox 360
PSP x2 CFW
GameGear
Wonderswan
N-Gage & N-Gage QD
Gameboy, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, 2x GB Macro
Nintendo DS, DSL, DSi & 3DS

My custom Console Projects
Biggsy666 9

Custom Title: The Reverend

Postby GillBert » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:18 pm

The guy who made those devices is a member of AssemblerGames forum. So in case anyone have a doubt/questions about the products, it's possible to talk to him directly at the topic I linked above.

GillBert 6

Custom Title: ⌂ ⌂ Homebrew Addict

Postby andyg3931 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:08 am

I own this system.im the one and only eBay buyer lol this unit is amazing. I ow. A phat with HDD and done the slim 7006 ide and estata mode but this unit is amazing to die.for super fast loading time.like.i.never seen before beside.on a pc.. I even create d a drop.box.file with everything one need to.speed up the process of HDD set up...

So it use USB to.power the unit... What people don't know.is it.take.up both USB port to power the unit and HDD... One of the USB cable has a piggie back on it to.add something else to.that port

I have tried so many different games and everything has worked without changing any modes in the setting. Like street fighter 2 and ce.

It's a nice unit and well made and quick with easy in game reset everyone should back this and playing. Pax games all one need to.do.is.use psxvcd and then copy them to the HDD and play the unit.does everything for.you.

Edited,
I have 8tb of iso and got a 2tb hdd in my ps2netbox

I in the middle off uploading all my.samples to.youtube

andyg3931 Newbie

Postby algol » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:30 am

Bonjour à vous tous.

Il est vrai que j'ai été longuement absent de vos forums mais je fait mon grand "come back".

Je suis l'heureux possesseur d'un ensemble "PS2NetBox" et "PS2USB". J'ai l'avantage de communiquer avec le développeur software, j'ai nommé "Huang Jie", et de créer une liste "officielle" de compatibilité pour ces deux interfaces. La liste est prête mais j'attend des commentaires de la part de "Huang Jie" pour la mettre sur le NET. Cette liste possède (comme toutes celles que j'ai créé) un formulaire de saisie (une aide) car la liste est protégée contre les abus divers et variés. La liste ne peut être que lue, j'y entre par recopie les rapports de tests qui m'ont été soumis par l'intermédiaire du formulaire.
Voici un exemple de liste de compatibilité pour OPL093 que j'ai créé sur le NET avec son formulaire :
liste : étrangement, je ne peux poster aucun lien car je suis déclaré "nouveau" ici, beurk…
formulaire :
Vous pouvez voir qu'elle est bien fournie, il y a peu de jeux NTSC mais beaucoup de jeux PAL, vous pouvez tout de même vous en servir, elle est utile.

Les premiers tests que j'ai fait avec le PS2NetBox sont assez désastreux car de nombreux bugs y ont été trouvés et je les ai immédiatement référencés au développeur. Il y en a beaucoup (des bugs) mais il est réactif (le dev). Il a beaucoup de travail mais j'ai l'espoir qu'il y arrivera. Je suis dans l'attente de ses nouvelles à l'heure actuelle. Il ne devrait pas me décevoir.

Maintenant, c'est à toi "Huang Jie". Bon courage.

In Engrish "by Google".

Hello everyone.

It is true that I was long absent from your forums but I made my big "come back".

I am the happy owner of a set "PS2NetBox" and "PS2USB". I have the advantage of communicating with the software developer, I named "Huang Jie", and create an "official" list of compatibility for these two interfaces. The list is ready but I am waiting for comments from "Huang Jie" to put it on the NET. This list has (like all the ones I created) an entry form (help) because the list is protected against various and varied abuses. The list can only be read, I enter by copy the test reports that were submitted to me via the form.
Here is an example of compatibility list for OPL093 that I created on the NET with its form:
list : je suis trop nouveau ici, beurk.
You can see that it is well supplied, there are few games NTSC but many PAL games, you can still use it, it is useful.

The first tests I did with the PS2NetBox are quite disastrous because many bugs have been found and I immediately referenced the developer. There are many (bugs) but it is reactive (the dev). He has a lot of work but I hope he gets there. I'm waiting for her news right now. He should not disappoint me.

Now, it's up to you "Huang Jie". Good luck.

Algol "le papy".

algol Newbie

Return to System Modding