Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Some Advice on making multi-part ROMs work ....

If you're having hardware, software or emulation issues with your PlayStation, ask our experts here!

Some Advice on making multi-part ROMs work ....

Postby Cyliss » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:03 am

hello all

I'm looking for some advice about a topic that has been frustrating me ..... getting ROMs that are multi-part DL's to actually WORK .... how to make sense of them and put them together so they will actually WORK ...

mostly ...I can get the ROMs that are simple to work no problem ....I'm currently scratching my head over:

XENOSAGA - Episodes 1, 2, & 3
MEGA MAN: Command Mission, X Collection, X7, X8

I have Retro Arch, Xebra, ePSXe, and PCSX2 in order to confirm they are working .... and IMG Burn for later use...

.... eventually, I'd like to learn how to burn these to use on my CECHA-01 PS3 Fat, I got lucky enough to score one from a retro shop recently that WORKS and is quiet .... the first one I got 'starburst' on me ....they replaced it ... this one ...no problems

If I'm being a dumb ass and this has been gone over somewhere already .... please let me know .... I've been part of the community for a while ....but this is a new problem that I have run into recently since getting my PS3 Fat and getting into the Sony Library .... (other than just LUNAR / LUNAR 2 & Working Designs Games)

Thanks,
Cyliss

Cyliss Newbie

Re: Some Advice on making multi-part ROMs work ....

Postby kaos_engr » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:58 am

Download all of the part files for each game. Open the first with the archive application it requires:
  • .rar files - WinRAR,
  • .7z - 7-ZIP
The archive application will extract the contents inside the multi-part archive. Generally, the files had to be split into smaller parts to meet the maximum file upload size of the cloud share service - especially for FREE accounts.

kaos_engr 7

Postby Cyliss » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:54 am

... All right. THANK YOU for clarifying this.... lemme pick your brain some more, please ...

... So I did that .....I grabbed X Collection to test it out...I put both parts in their own folder .... then clicked on z.001 like you said .... when I did that it pulled up the file as the name .iso ~ I pulled this over to a new folder and jZip extracted it into that folder as the total 3gb file ... retaining the jZip archive attribute... I then fired up PCSX2, went to the ISO selector, found the jZip .iso file, then boot CDDVD... YEA!! it worked !!!

....is this what/how I deal with the other files/games??
... is the completed/compiled .iso file the one that I select to burn (using IMG Burn) onto a DVD to play in my CECHA-01 PS3 Fat?

...just wondering ... I'd rather not screw things up nor waste DVD's

Cyliss Newbie

Postby kaos_engr » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:28 am

All the parts of a particular game need to be downloaded into the same folder. They are all a small piece of one much larger file that was split into smaller pieces for whatever reason. The parts are not separate archives that each get extracted. Open the first part and the extractor knows to look for the remaining parts to extract the content from all the parts.

When you extract data from a rar file, you'll see the status window update the name of the file it's currently extracting data from as well as the name of the current file being extracted.

kaos_engr 7

Postby sasapinjic » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:12 am

Check second link in my signature for detailed newbie frieldly guide for burning PS1/PS2 games .

sasapinjic 13

Custom Title: Gafgarion(Penninless Scumbag)

Return to Troubleshooting