Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

The chore that is reinstalling windows.....

for 1337 h4x0rz only

The chore that is reinstalling windows.....

Postby CurbsidePharmacist » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:00 am

So after 3-4 years of updates, patches and gutting Windows 10 it was time for a fresh run.

It took me about 10 hours to move all my files from my main PC to backup media and now it's the long wait for Steam to download all my games I'm playing.

What's the worse part of doing a clean OS for you guys?

The Windows install?
File backups?
Downloading all your files?
Remembering all your passwords?
Getting it all started then remembering you forgot some really dank nudes you hid in the system folder hoping no one would see them?

Next time I get the chance to invest in my rig I want to setup a dedicated backup drive with an Acronis image just for fast reinstall, however Win10 has a pretty slick recovery option now that pretty much does the same thing.

Free memory card exploit service PS2/Xbox U.S. Only

Simple questions answered here
If you need to ask a question search the forums first here

Read the rules.
Theisozone Upload Rules

Follow me on Twitter!! https://twitter.com/CurbsideRX
CurbsidePharmacist 13

Custom Title: Admin #2

Re: The chore that is reinstalling windows.....

Postby scorpNZ » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:13 am

Whats the worse part ? the bloody reinstalling of everything & then when it's all done reinstalling all the progs you missed.The upside however to a reformat etc is the chance to create backup images along the way,till everythings done.After which (assuming you've got those images stored across multiple hdd's) the only re-install you'll do is the software you added after the very last image that was created (what i mean by that is keeping a base set & never to be deleted,then any image created after those can be deleted as more newer ones are made)

You will need more than 1 image curbside & you'll need them over more than 3 separate drives.A word of warning don't trust the so called image integrity check.The only way to know if it will work is by re-imaging an hdd
If you ever need expert help with imaging or you come across a member who does then radified.com is the place to go.If nobody or myself can't help

edit: forgot to mention be wary of making incremental images.Yeah not funny when one of the later parts of it gets corrupted the whole lot is shot.Its why i switched to image files instead..Oh yeah there's a recent (2-3 years) update they've made to numerous imaging programs that allow creating ? (can't recall if you need to select it specially or whether the deploy option has it in all images) differential hardware images.It does work as i've done it tho you'll need drivers etc once it's finished & you've booted into windows if windblows didn't install some

scorpNZ 6

Postby CurbsidePharmacist » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:28 am

Programs update so fast 1 restore is bad enough, why on earth would I want 3?

[edit]
As it sits now I have a Win10 key I made from a 32GB usb that will re-install my OS fairly quickly in case of a hard drive failure. Also my OS drive key has all my systems drivers already on it.
I make custom keys for all my customers now that took advantage of the free upgrades.
This allows me to upgrade their systems and then leave them with a usb key that contains their Key/drivers/win10 disk all in one little package.

Images are nice you can do a full rewrite of you host OS in about 20 minutes, however everything that's updated since that image was made needs to be updated again, and after your OS drive reaches multiple 100's of GB those images are just too big to have floating around. Images would be for a just installed and updated windows only vs everything you install games/apps/media.

Read the rules.
Theisozone Upload Rules

CurbsidePharmacist 13

Postby scorpNZ » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:17 am

My bad.When i refer to images i neglected to mention the games are on a separate partition as yeah man that would be some massive bloody images.This includes music,movies,torrent downloads & basically everything that isn't a normal software meant for actual computing i.e imgburn,photoshop & stuff like that
edit: my c is 100gb in size & sits at 70gb used.actually come to think of it treesize shows windows itself takes up most of that space along with it's bloody updates,all the other normal software i've added comes to stuff all

scorpNZ 6

Postby gazebo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:31 am

It's a good idea to have all your data and games on a separate partition. You don't have to reload all your steam games as long as you install steam into the same folder you had it on (but not on the boot drive) . It's a good idea to make backups of your data regularly, then a windows reload isn't that bad. I just did a reload of win7 64 from a USB stick. The thing that took the longest were the updates for windows and the few apps I use beside the games.

gazebo Newbie

Postby Massamo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:59 am

is no pain at all just click of a button and everything back and running I have custom install with all my programs and updates ready to go I format every month

Consoles List
Spoiler:
Consoles:
Super Nintendo
Sega Mega Drive 2
Nintendo 64
Playstation 2 (Free Mcboot 1TB HDD)
Xbox (ModChip 2TB HDD)
Xbox 360
Playstation 3 (CFW Rebug 4.82.2 600GB USB)
Nintendo Wii (Soft Modded 120GB USB)
Nintendo Wii U (Soft Modded 320GB USB)
Xbox One S
Xbox One X (16TB USB)
Playstation 4 Pro (1TB USB)
Playstation (ModChip)
Nintendo Switch
Sega Dreamcast
Super Nintendo Mini (Soft Modded with USB-HOST mod 32gb USB)

Handheld:
Game Boy
Game Boy Advance
PSP (Soft Modded)
Nintendo DS
Nintendo 2DS XL (Soft Modded)
Massamo 6

Postby TheTechDoc » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:30 am

half my job as a tech is to backup, wipe and reinstall windows, replacing hdds and hardware bits, mainboards etc,

I hate...all of it :lol:

nah after a while you find sneaky ways to get it done faster, deployment through network etc, but we dont backup games, just save games.

Spoiler:
2x xbox w/IND bios +1tb hdd/80gb hdd
1x ps2 slim w/fcmb 1x ps2 phat w/fhdb
1x ps1 chipped
gamecube w/sd launcher
psp 1000,go with cfw
2x dslite and dsphat w r4i/acekard2i
gameboy original/pocket/color/advance/sp/micro
2x wii w/softmod
snes
nes
n64
360 jasper RGH CR4 XL
360 slim RGH CR4 XL
PS Vita 3.60 with Henkaku
3DS 9.2.0 CFW Emunand RXtools/luma3ds
Sega dreamcast
Sega Saturn
Wiiu w/CFW 5.5.1
PS4
TheTechDoc 8

Custom Title: Put away those fiery biscuits!

Postby ALexRex » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:44 am

..that's why I Install Programs on a different Harddisk or Partition, because most of them actually work without being officially installed.. just open the Executables, make Shortcuts and they work.

The same goes for Games, especially Steam games. In fact, I have two SSDs in my PC, and both have Steam installed, but each has different Games. I can easily switch from one Installation to the other, using the same Account, as long as only one is open at any given time..

My UPLOADS [mostly PC Games]
http://www.theisozone.com/user-uploads/ALexRex/
Click on me for Cuteness :
Spoiler:
ALexRex 5

Location: Born and Raised in Germany... now returned to my Family-roots in Portugal

Postby CurbsidePharmacist » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:15 am

I have a sort of a gimped PC.

I have to move files around alot , my motherboard only has 2 sata ports so I rely on a 1TB system disk and a 2TB and 4TB usb 3.0 external backups. They are fullsized desktop hard drives inside enclosures.

So pretty much everything I run daily and what I'm currently seeding/downloading has to be on the same drive due to this limitation on my motherboard. I didn't want to slow it down anymore by partitioning the drive when such high read and writes going on. Periodically (once every week or two) I will remove completed tors and file them away on externals.

This time around I think I had about 400ish GB of tors and 70GB of them still need seeded... that all needed to be moved back to resume, and a bunch of game saves and random stuff I had been saving the past week or 2 so I made sure every little bit was backed up. This was a 4 year old install after all lol I was amazed what things I found tucked away :)

I have been collecting packs of tv and movies for my media drive (2TB) that I connect to my TV box and home network so that counts towards that massive 400GB of data lol. Most of our media is streamed into the TVs via android mini PC from the internet and having a external desktop drive connected right to the network makes our own little netflix possible I can save items I watch from my TV box right to my external then connect it to my home network and all of our networked devices can have access to a few thousand hours of offline movies,music and even games and programs if my 4TB is hosted. This drive gets constantly moved around depending on if im loading it up or using it to host movies.

Later on after things settle down a bit in my daily life I plan to build a new computer and have a image of my fully updated install mirrored over on a slave with all the stuff like runtimes and the custom registry files I install to shut off items in Win10 all in one go.

I currently backup all my games that I'd rather not download again such as GTA5 72GB onto one of my external drives so I can skip the 1.5 hr download. I realize this setup is not optimal however it's what I have to work with at the moment lol.

Read the rules.
Theisozone Upload Rules

CurbsidePharmacist 13

Postby mrpink999 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:48 pm

The absolute worst part of a reboot is.....
All of my tools need reinstalling, re accociating file types etc...

New boot is like driving a dodge neon.

Network storage is def. safer than stacking drives into ur case like I had done in the past...
Got 1 virus, ran rampant through my system.....still have 2 more drive 2 clean/ rebuild

I try to buy 1 new drive a year min. for backups and every 3 years change my boot drive.
I spent the better part of the early 2000's losing all my files due to mistakes, virus
mistakes mostly lol
Def. USB keys are the way today, All Hail 3.0 speeds!!!

mrpink999 Moderator

Custom Title: No Worries

Postby 6gunn » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:55 pm

What's the worse part of doing a clean OS for you guys?

The Windows install? - (YEP! Win 7 is the newest OS I have and it takes forever doing updates - Shutting down - Rebooting - Updating - ad nauseum.)
File backups? - (Not so much.)
Downloading all your files? (Nope... On a separate HDD.)
Remembering all your passwords? (Nope.... Also on a separate HDD)
Getting it all started then remembering you forgot some really dank nudes you hid in the system folder hoping no one would see them? (NOPE, I live alone..... and if I die I won't care.)

6gunn 6

Custom Title: catwacker

Postby XC-3730C » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:42 pm

I just reinstalled Windows 10 on my Dell Optiplex 980 that I got about 3-4 years ago. Yes, reinstalling all the applications is a pain, but it is well worth it, as my system works better than ever. I set it up as Plex server, as well as a NextPVR backend server. My desktop is now blank, as I used to have way too many icons. I have the VPN constantly connected for security.

The hardest part for me was installing/setting up VMWare, and everything that I do game related is now in a Virtual Windows XP environment (XP is my fav OS of all time). I will also be setting up a Virtual Linux environment in VMWare (I am not sure which distro), so I can learn Linux. Also, finding the correct Windows 10 free update (I have a legit Windows 7 key) was hard to find.

Last edited by XC-3730C on Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old school RGB systems I own:
Spoiler:
AV Famicom w/ NES2RGB + FDS drive w/write mod
SNES
N64
Sega Genesis 1/Sega CD 1, Super Magic Drive Plus
Sega Saturn w/mod chip + AR 4-in1
Atari Jaguar w/Jag CD
3DO (RGB modded)
PSX w/stealth chip
PS2 w/ network adapter, 120gb HDD, FMCB
Neo Geo MVS

HDTV capable systems I own:
Spoiler:
Alienware Alpha i3, 16gb RAM, 256gb SSD
Nvidia Shield TV (Android)
Xbox 360 phat Jasper RGH'd
PS3 Slim with CFW

Other systems:
Spoiler:
Gamecube platinum w/Viper case, Qoob SX, GBA player
Dreamcast w/GDemu, 128gb SD
Original Xbox v1.6 + X3 chip, green Ghostcase, 2TB HDDHitachi HDD/DVD
XC-3730C 7

Custom Title: We've obtained retro greatness...

Postby scorpNZ » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:01 pm

Yeah win 7 is a pain for slow updating "wait while windows configures"..The upside to a reinstall is a super fast computer.Well faster than before , at least for a little while.Mind you i have to say i find win 7 quite stable.I did do a full recovery early on last year,can't remember why.It wasn't due to instability.That wasn't fun as i hadn't created an image for a while like i should have,so all games had to be installed again.Now that i mention it i need to create one now..Ahhh just remembered why.It was due to requiring a larger hdd but my mobo is a 2009 dell 755 midi tower & the bios doesn't support large drives.So the deployment of the image wouldn't bloody work because of the configuration

scorpNZ 6

Postby CurbsidePharmacist » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:25 pm

XC-3730C wrote:Also, finding the correct Windows 10 free update (I have a legit Windows 7 key) was hard to find.

I have a all in one version of Win 7 that has all the different version of 7, after that you could DAZ loader it , in my case it was built in. After Win7 installed I had to do 1 certain update then I could run the win10 updater and boom.

I probably make about 50ish Windows 10 Pro keys lol

Read the rules.
Theisozone Upload Rules

CurbsidePharmacist 13

Postby RUMBLE » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:37 pm

The Windows install? -- Not that bad as I am always doing something else while it is installing. As for updates? I hang out as long as it takes to find them, then tell it to get them and install them. Auto updates gets turned on AFTER I have all the updates installed, and I always tell it to not search for WinBlows 10. Win 7 is it for me.... Well that and a dual boot XP.

File backups? -- Already done, and in more than one place.

Downloading all your files? -- None to get really, I have all the files I need in a folder called Recovery.

Remembering all your passwords? -- Backed up on 4 different computers and 6 different drives.

Just a minor annoyance anymore. I have enough computers laying around to open my own shop. So while computer A is installing and updating, I can use computers B through Z. Which I really need to start getting rid of some of these rigs I have laying around, but I'll save that for a different post. ;)

NES, SNES
Atari Lynx
Sega Gensis (x2)
DS Lite, DSi XL (R4 cards for both of them)
3DS XL - Softmodded
PSP 1000 (x4 CFW)
PSP 2000 (x3 CFW)
PS2 Phattie (x4 All with mod chips & HDs)
PS2 Slimmy (Does movies only now)
PS2 v12 Slim (Don't know what to do with this....)
Xbox Limited Edition Mountain Dew Chipped -- Needs to be fixed, again
Xbox v1.0, soft modded
Xbox v1.0, Has R&O flashing ring
Xbox 360 (x2) -- One has an XKey in it
Wii Soft modded... (x2)
Sega Dreamcast (x2)
Sega Saturn Chipped
Another PS2 phatty with a bad laser. Needed a good home.

I ain't gettin on no plane Hannibal...
RUMBLE 5

Postby wshirk » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:22 pm

I feel you there, I installed windows 10 32 bit on a dell inspiron 1720. Said dell has 5 usb ports a sd card reader, 2 gigs of ram upgradable to 6, Bluetooth with edr 2.1, internal wifi, and 2 sata HDD bays. Needless to say I had like 5 blue screens of death, and then I updated the bios, as I forgot I hadn't and the problem seemed to go away, but it came back. I had one more blue screen, and then I changed my HDD mode to ATA, and installed the chipset driver which windows was not using. After that everything ran/runs without a problem, and I can finally make use of such a sophisticated computer, even if it is older!

wshirk 3

Postby ThruMy4Eyes » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:36 pm

it was never a huge deal for me, as I always kept all my data (along with hardware drivers) on a separate internal drive from the Windows SSD boot drive. Only the Windows and program reinstalls is what really took time, but I would spread it out - as in I would not reinstall a program until I went to go use it. That way hopefully my system wouldn't get cluttered up again with the few random programs (and leftover data) that I'd used once or twice but never touched again.

ThruMy4Eyes 3

Postby ThruMy4Eyes » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:37 pm

What would grind me the most is working on other people's computers. There are two types of people:

The ones who live on the cloud and don't keep anything on their computer of value = <3 these people, they're lightweight and easy to work on.

And the ones who keep stuff locally, but have NEVER ever heard of backing their stuff up, or ever considered they might not be able to get it back. Like wtf, you think this thing is gonna last forever?? "What do you mean it's gonna be a hassle to get it back?"

ThruMy4Eyes 3

Postby classyskeleton » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:54 pm

Chocolatey / nuget and powershell are your friends.

classyskeleton 3

Postby scorpNZ » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:27 am

classyskeleton wrote:Chocolatey / nuget and powershell are your friends.

To do what.
edit: never mind just remembered what web search was for hehehe

Anyone tried that nlite program to strip some crap from windblows & does it make win unstable

scorpNZ 6

Next

Return to Geek Chat