Community
Submit
Marketplace

The Iso Zone

SteamOS is coming to a PC near you

For discussions based on Windows games

SteamOS is coming to a PC near you

Postby Anthony817 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:11 pm

Steam has unveiled their new Operating System for gaming PC's. It is forgoing Windows and this looks like the first step to get Windows off of our PC's for a more optimized Gaming OS. Consoles are already highly optimized PC like systems, so this looks to be what SteamOS is trying to do for the PC to get rid of all the Windows clutter. I believe it is a Linux based OS, so all the games you already own on Steam that have Linux versions will be ready to play come launch. I hope that they get more AAA quality games running on the OS in OpenGL4.

Spoiler:
Thousands of games, millions of users. Everything you love about Steam.
Available soon as a free operating system designed for the TV and the living room.
Steam is coming to a new operating system

As we’ve been working on bringing Steam to the living room, we’ve come to the conclusion that the
environment best suited to delivering value to customers is an operating system built around Steam itself.
SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen.
It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.

Living room & Steam

Finally, you don’t have to give up your favorite games, your online friends, and all the Steam features you love just to play on the big screen. SteamOS, running on any living room machine, will provide access to the best games and user-generated content available.

Fast forward

In SteamOS, we have achieved significant performance increases in graphics processing, and we’re now targeting audio performance and reductions in input latency at the operating system level. Game developers are already taking advantage of these gains as they target SteamOS for their new releases.
Cooperating system

Cooperating system

Steam is not a one-way content broadcast channel, it’s a collaborative many-to-many entertainment platform, in which each participant is a multiplier of the experience for everyone else. With SteamOS, “openness” means that the hardware industry can iterate in the living room at a much faster pace than they’ve been able to. Content creators can connect directly to their customers. Users can alter or replace any part of the software or hardware they want. Gamers are empowered to join in the creation of the games they love. SteamOS will continue to evolve, but will remain an environment designed to foster these kinds of innovation.

Four new Steam features focused on the living room.

Available soon in both SteamOS and the Steam client.

In-home Streaming

You can play all your Windows and Mac games on your SteamOS machine, too. Just turn on your existing computer and run Steam as you always have - then your SteamOS machine can stream those games over your home network straight to your TV!

Music, TV, Movies

We’re working with many of the media services you know and love. Soon we will begin bringing them online, allowing you to access your favorite music and video with Steam and SteamOS.

All the games you love

Hundreds of great games are already running natively on SteamOS. Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014. Access the full Steam catalog of nearly 3000 games and desktop software titles via in-home streaming.

And many more features.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

Steam Profile
Cpu: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHZ
Mobo: MSI 890GXM-G65 Gaming Edition
Gpu: PNY GTX 650 1GB GDDR5
Ram: 8GB Gskill Ripjaw ram
HDD: 1TB Samsung
Pc Case: Rosewill Challenger
Steam and Origin
Official Steam Group of TIZ
Origin profile
My uploads
Trades with
Blip-blop 10-10
boredguy123 10-10
DCDannyDoom23 10-10
Jumbotron666 10-10
mistamontiel 10-10
Tcres 10-10
umpa2112 10-10
vga 10-10
Anthony817 Moderator

Re: SteamOS is coming to a PC near you

Postby shambles1980 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:57 pm

better than steaming pile of crap box..
BUT still no...
as a dual boot option its viable but only if it can run all the games on steam. and if some of those games need windows/ms based features/code to run then all your really doing is using up space with what essentially is simply a front end.
so why not just stick to the steam app like it is now..

EBay feed back Link
Amibay feedback: Link
Sold to these people on xbox-scene:SD_DRACULA, Qskint, ape, chewdiggy, Johnnyvibrant
IsoZone feed back: Mark73, Tiger-kai, cifa, DCGirl, comber, derekmcwilliam, ATHLONX2, jccb

my UK xbox moding and repair service
http://www.theisozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9163
shambles1980 9

Postby fatman01923 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:00 am

My guess its to unite PC gamers under one OS. A move this bold if it has the support (which I think it will considering its Valve using their Steam brand), will definitely bring PC gaming back into the mainstream in my honest opinion. Retailers can could sell "Gaming Computers" with this OS installed on it. If it runs flawless it could maybe change a lot of things.

fatman01923 5

Custom Title: Sir Jefe

Postby shambles1980 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:08 am

if its built on linux, and free, then it wont run a whole crap load of games that were designed with windows in mind.
even that says if you want to play your windows based game you need yet another pc with steam and windows on it then start steam on that pc and finaly Stream it to the pc that has this os on it..
that's totally illogical.
How can streaming a game from a windows system be faster than simply playing it on the windows system to start it.

This OS could work IF MS allowed them to use all the code they needed so the windows games would work on it.
but why would MS do that?

also I dont think any one who has a pc uses it ONLY for steam. The current system of having a steam app on your pc is better.
The only benefit it has over windows is being free.

It wont have the same driver support for legacy hardware.
There is much more wrong with it than there is right about it.

Its kind of like making a MAME cabinet. but now you need a internet connection. and have to pay for all the games. The game selection gets smaller Or you have to have a second computer to host the games it cant play directly..

just to point out making a 100% mame emu based computer, requiers a less powerfull pc. you can get all the games and everything you need software wise for free. you dont need to be online, you dont need a second computer to stream the games from. you can buy cheap arcade type stics and controlls and have the whole thing set up "no cabinet" for next to nothing"
But how many people do you know in real life who have done that?

I cant see how you can ague that its a good idea.

edit

steam seem to say its designed for a TV not a PC..
so all points any 1 has made prior seem to be mute.

EBay feed back Link
Amibay feedback: Link
Sold to these people on xbox-scene:SD_DRACULA, Qskint, ape, chewdiggy, Johnnyvibrant
IsoZone feed back: Mark73, Tiger-kai, cifa, DCGirl, comber, derekmcwilliam, ATHLONX2, jccb

my UK xbox moding and repair service
http://www.theisozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9163
shambles1980 9

Postby fatman01923 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:48 am

Lol yup pretty much, I jump the gun sometimes. :D Thanks for the story Ant and thanks shambles for breaking it down.

fatman01923 5

Custom Title: Sir Jefe

Postby Anthony817 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:55 am

Yeah, all I can see working great with this is games specifically designed with it in mind. I know the PS4 is going to use OpenGL 4.0 I think, and with it running games like that with high fidelity, it would need a streamlined OS to run great. I can see this working for games like that, but the majority of games are, and will remain to be Microsoft compatible for the foreseeable future.

All this really is is a better platform for the Steambox to implement nice looking games that run from a different API.

Basically I will be dual booting this to see how my own PC acts as a Steambox, but I will stick with Windows so I can play my Battlefield's and GTA's.

Steam Profile
Cpu: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHZ
Mobo: MSI 890GXM-G65 Gaming Edition
Gpu: PNY GTX 650 1GB GDDR5
Ram: 8GB Gskill Ripjaw ram
HDD: 1TB Samsung
Pc Case: Rosewill Challenger
Steam and Origin
Official Steam Group of TIZ
Origin profile
My uploads
Trades with